Foot Grease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baker

TF Site Team/Forum Founder
Site Team
Vessel Name
Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Make
Meridian 411
While I realize the importance of proper shoes on a boat....one of the things that has always confused me is when people(or boat brokers) tell you to take your proper shoes off to board.* Since we are all boaters we have a tendency to wear no socks.* So off go the shoes and there we are with our dirty feet.* Add a little water and you have nasty greasy*footprints all over the deck.*

Keep the shoes on and no footprints.* What is your M. O.?

I'm with you on this one John. There are many reasons not to remove shoes. A boat should be built, decorated, etc. for shoe wearing people. It's no place for white carpets, etc.. And regardless of carpet color or anything else, I don't want sweaty, stinky feet on them.
smile.gif

We do not do not asks nor and we do take our shoes off.* in the 38 years of raising our children and grand children have a ever ask/request taking shoes off or got to excited/concerned about spills/messes.* As a result we have had to re carpet on a regular bases as they get just too!* Besides in the summer time our shoes are usually cleaner than our feet.* Please, leave you shoes on.* (-;* We install cheap darker/multi color carpeting that hides dirt/stains well.* The old carpeting is used to cut pout the new, so it does not take much long to install.*

True Story

Our previous dock on Lake union as old rough wood planks that very few people could walk on in their bear ft.** When ask how I could walk on the dock, I responded.* Its the bright pink/red toe nail polish! **Their usual response was, Well, that explain the toe nail polish!* Since that day its been a none issue.* ^^^^<^;{*
So what is proper foot wear?* We range form high heel dress shoes to ratty dirty old smelly running shoes and/or bear feet.* *

Sorry guys-
I am on the other end of this. A motor yacht has non skid areas that get scuffed with black soled shoes- a teak parkay* floor is much too nice to scratch up with cowboy boots. I am one that would prefer you wear socks or invest in a pair of Topsiders.
Steve

I am with Willy !! I wear my steel toe boots aboard. Funny thing is... when I bought my boat I was worried because I showed up in boots, but the PO was also wearing boots. Guess it all depends on the boat.

However, when I board other people's boats I always take my boots off. But I do wear socks.

I am glad I don't have all that fancy junk to worry about on my boat.

Oh come on. If you can afford the really fancy stuff, you can afford to replace it when it gets dirty. Whether someone wears the right footwear and whether they scuff your pretty surfaces should be secondary to the overall experience of boating and the wonderful people we meet in the process. The footwear doesn't matter.

I wouldn't say mine has "fancy stuff", but it has teak decks, and teak and holly soles. There is a LOT of white fiberglass on the outside! I don't make a big deal out of, but I sure don't like anyone coming on board with dark sole shoes. They WILL leave black marks on the sides of the decks and they are a pain to clean. It sure doesn't mean that I don't enjoy the company or the overall experience of boating! I just like to keep the boat looking as good as I can.

I'm also a barefoot kind of a guy, so barefoot is cool with me!

A couple of years ago, I started dating a young lady, that happened to be the new 3M Marine sales rep for this area. She was new to the sales position and brand new to boating. Well she didn't own any boat shoes, and wore mostly black boots. I gently tried to tell her they would leave marks, and she just blew me off and said "Don't worry, I have plenty of cleaning products to get them off! It's no big deal." So I dropped it, but the next time she was around when I was washing the boat, I ask her to show me some of her wonder "black mark" removing products. Well after she scrubbed for an hour or so, down on her hands and knees, with just about every product 3M made, she had a whole new attitude!

The next weekend when she showed up at the boat, she was sporting a brand new pair of boat shoes! AND, she was the first one to mount anyone boarding in black boots!

I should have mentioned that I wear tan soled boots.

I have to agree that people wearing black soled shoes/boots should be considerate.

Like I said before, it really depends on the boat.

Take your shoes off on my boat or a workboat/conversion and you will have very dirty feet/socks.

But on a "yacht" or "Bleach Bottle", I agree some consideration should be taken. Use common sense depending on what type of shoes you are wearing and what materials the boat decks are covered with.

Brent
*** ** Don't get me wrong. I am comparing PROPER shoes to bare feet. Given a proper boat shoe as opposed to bare feet, I would prefer the shoes. Bare feet put body oils into the carpet, and therefore attract dirt. Each case needs to stand on it's own. Basically (with regard to inside spaces) should be able to withstand normal wear and tear. Protection of fiberglass surfaces should also be considered in the choice of shoes. I don't like the process of removing black marks on my glass any more than the 3M folks. The more I think of it, I want my friend Rainer's aluminum boat. He doesn't have all these hastles.

I think the key here is PROPER shoes. Nobody wants black soled shoes that mark their decks. It is when someone asks you to take off perfectly good shoes(read topsiders here) so your greasy feet can track all over the decks. I will say that teak decks don´t have to worry. And as a side note, teak decks feel great on bare feet....best non-skid out there.

Boat shoes , by definition are NEVER worn off the boat.

Its USE not styling that makes a "boat shoe".

Take off the dock shoes , dirt shoes, at the gangway and swop there.

Some folks with antiques ( canvas decks) will have heavy slip on socks for guests.

Our boat has aircraft carrier grade no skid , epoxy and FLINT , that has no level of abuse that will cause wear, so street shoes can bring street dirt , but do no damage.

FF

Actually walking up a steep ramp in heels is easier than flats as you are usually on the balls of your feet, and having the hells allows you to stand almost horizontal/straight.* When going down a steep ramp we always walk down back wards is it easier on the back and legs, but again the weight is on the ball so with heels it is actually easier then flats.* In the winter we usually wear cow boy/girl boots which keep the feet warmer and drier than tennis and regular shoes. I find low heels are more comfortable and easier on the back, knees and body.

Phil Fill,

Are we to surmise that you are a female or that you are a male who enjoys manicures and pedicures and wearing high heels(not that there's anything wrong with that...
smile.gif
)? Maybe your wife posts under your name?

I do remember when I was single all of the other girls gave me a hard time when I allowed a bunch of high heel wearing hoochies on my boat when normally I am a little more strict in this regard. I still get chided for that by my fiance'(the Surf Widow). Gotta love the hoochies!!!

Boat shoes for me are the ones I put on Friday afternoon on the way to the boat- no socks of course. I bring socks to wear in the engine room, but that is the only time I wear socks. Boat shoes are great. They work with a swim suit, blue jeans on the way to eat Mexican, and shorts during a trip to BW Ship Store. They have the dirt knocked off during that long walk down the pier and you get no scuffs on the boat. I take them back off Sunday evening when we go home and break out the steel toes for the work week Monday AM.
Steve*

Lets just say I am sort of a hybrid between a male and female.* Being happily married/father/grandfather, the best definition is transgender and/or bi gender.* I prefer female, but being raised male recognize my responsibility of continuing to full filling my male obligations. **So I gender blend depending on the situation/requirement.*****

This*is more an "Off the deep end subject".*

Cool.* Good luck in achieving and fullfilling your gender intentions!!!!
smile.gif

-- Edited by Baker at 12:58, 2007-10-27

John---

I agree teak is a great natural non-skid but in hot, sunny environents I'm told it can be like walking across a frying pan if you're a proponent of bare feet. I have read posts on several boating forums from people who have removed the teak decks from their boats for that reason. Here in the PNW, of course, it's a non-issue since it rains 24/7/365.

But you guys are all talking about people feet. What about dog feet? Dogs have only five sweat outlets and four of them are feet. One of our slip neighbors bought non-skid booties for his black lab. He did it because on a sailboat every deck surface is curved or slanted, so the dog quickly learned that the non-skid booties are Good. Our decks are teak and we figure any oily sweat that comes off our dog's feet is just going to be good for the wood, so we don't care.

So what do you do about friends (or non-friends) who want to come aboard with their dogs with their sweaty, stinky paws?

-- Edited by Marin at 16:54, 2007-10-29

Attachments

• abi@prevost1.jpg
    abi@prevost1.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 117
Great lookin' doggy. We actually have some friends that have a black lab and a mixed breed that show up for a raft up fairly often with dogs. The party usually ends up on my boat so the dogs do too. We just let 'em do whatever and just have to wait to get back to the dock to wash the boat. Ocassionally, I will use the shower washdown to kinda keep up with it. Anyway, they are good friends and their dogs can be a little high strung but they are sweet dogs nonetheless.

Here's a pic of my dog cruising with the ducks....poor horizon management on the part of the photog....

-- Edited by Baker at 18:45, 2007-10-29

Attachments

• pa033011 (medium).jpg
    pa033011 (medium).jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 121
I have found that bare feet or even sandals are not a good idea on my boat because there are a few things like handrail stanchions that will break your toes or at least bloody them.

My four engine cowls have molds which extend from the inboard sides of the bulwarks and get black marks from "unauthorized" footwear. No other areas seem subject to any noticeable abuse from street shoes. Maybe I need to repaint my cowls black - not.

rgano, (and everyone else for that matter)

Best solution for a boat sandal, is Keen footwear. They make a nonskid, nonmarking sandal with toe protection. Even a flip flop.

Also, not all black soled shoes are marking, in fact, these days most aren't, though it can be hard to tell.

Problem with most boat shoes, sperry, sebago, etc. is that while they are great for your boat they are lousy for your feet and back. No support whatsoever unless you put some sort of orthotic in them.

Here is the best place to buy Keen btw.

www.travelcountry.com

Doug

Wear what you like when you visit us, bare feet, high heels, four doggy feet (thats all Sam our black lab has to wear lol), this is our home we want you to relax and enjoy your time here because that is what we do.
smile.gif

Heres a pic of Sam doing what he loves, chasing chooks (seagulls).
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• l1000065.jpg
    l1000065.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 75
In my "yachty " days Boat shoes were ONLY worn ON the boat , not down the dock or anywhere BUT aboard.

Now with a commercial style boat with flint and epoxy (Carrier flight deck paint) in all the walkways , come on in anything but spiked boots is just fine.

Not a single SQ inch of teak , or exterior varnish , to ruin my day!

FF

Marin wrote:

But you guys are all talking about people feet. What about dog feet? Dogs have only five sweat outlets and four of them are feet. One of our slip neighbors bought non-skid booties for his black lab. He did it because on a sailboat every deck surface is curved or slanted, so the dog quickly learned that the non-skid booties are Good. Our decks are teak and we figure any oily sweat that comes off our dog's feet is just going to be good for the wood, so we don't care.

So what do you do about friends (or non-friends) who want to come aboard with their dogs with their sweaty, stinky paws?

-- Edited by Marin at 16:54, 2007-10-29
The guy who invented non-skid soles (Sperry??) modeled them after his dog's feet. He wondered why his dog could run around all day on wet surfaces without slipping. When he looked at the surface of his dog's paws, he went back and put a bunch of razor cuts on his smooth surfaced flip flops... voila!

So your boat shoes are really just dog feet replicas!

I've heard that too, Keith. It's pretty interesting.

I second the Keen recommendation.* Great shoes.

But if the decks are wet I get dirty footprints either way.* Try to be clever and wash off the feet/sandals from the get-go, then go from the boat to the dock and back and ... dammit!

Dougcole wrote:

rgano, (and everyone else for that matter)

Best solution for a boat sandal, is Keen footwear. They make a nonskid, nonmarking sandal with toe protection. Even a flip flop.

Also, not all black soled shoes are marking, in fact, these days most aren't, though it can be hard to tell.

Problem with most boat shoes, sperry, sebago, etc. is that while they are great for your boat they are lousy for your feet and back. No support whatsoever unless you put some sort of orthotic in them.

Here is the best place to buy Keen btw.

www.travelcountry.com

Doug

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom