• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

Wanted: Still Looking in Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geoleo

Looking for a smallish Trawler. Protected prop a must. Prairie 29 to a anything No projects. Have;) Cash Ready!

There's a 36 foot Marine for $19,500 Trader on Craigslist in Panama City Beach. Might be worth a peek. Not sure if it has a protected prop, though.

Think you need to expand your search beyond Florida but before you even do that, you need to define your requirements a little better and come up with a target budget. If you want a boat under $50K with a protected prop, most of the boats will be Taiwanese Tubs that need work now and forever. The ones with the teak decks replaced, new fuel tanks, new windows, no soft decks and no leaks are almost non existent.

If you look on the Great Lakes, you might find a TT in better condition for no other reason than that they sit in a barn for 7 months out of the year and don't get exposed to salt air and water. Once you bring one to FL, all bets are off.

Here is a non TT up in Ohio, you may want to consider (note - I have never seen it and have no knowledge of it).

1973 Willard 30 Vega Nomad Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Here is a boat in TN, one of our members has for sale.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1981/Outer-Reef-Yachts-32-2955948/Paris/TN/United-States

Last edited:
If you get yourself a buyer's broker, he/she will do the looking for you and it's the seller who pays the commission, not you.

Brokers have the resources to find boats for sale.

If you get yourself a buyer's broker, he/she will do the looking for you and it's the seller who pays the commission, not you.

Brokers have the resources to find boats for sale.

The buyer always pays the commission on a brokered boat sale.

While I understand what you are saying, even though the seller has a contract with a broker to pay the commission, the reality is the buyer is paying it. If the broker wasn't involved the boat would be 10% cheaper typically.

As far as brokers having resources, in today's world of the internet you can find the same thing the broker is looking at with a little bit of effort. Where this may not apply is to the local knowledge deals where the broker doesn't have a listing but knows an owner may entertain offers. On occasion a good deal maybe located this way.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you are looking for a Mainship 34 Mk1. Get one that has already been refit. Weakness, leaky bridgedeck, cockpit deck. Leaks above galley. Poor lower helm, but will do in bad weather. Solid boats, good sea boats and there are over a thousand out there. Best bet in your price range.

You mentioned a Prairie. There are two for sale just now in FL:

Prairie/Atlantic 36
Used 1982 Atlantic Prairie 37 Lrc, West Palm Beach, Fl - 33404 - BoatTrader.com

Prairie 29
Used 1979 Prairie 29' Trawler, Port Canaveral, Fl - 32920 - BoatTrader.com

If you learn anything about either one of these vessels. I would appreciate hearing what you learn/think.

Good luck!

Tim
Dear Tim, Thanks, that 37 is way overpowered with 2 big V8s and a bit wide at 14ft, I'm going to see the 29 next week-its been for sale for 6 months

GeoLeo;
So I assume you looked at the Prairie 29 in Port Canaveral. What did you think about the condition, looks, whatever about this boat?

If the engine was not "big" enough.....why?

Any other issues about this vessel you liked, didnot like?

What was the condition generally of the boat? Was it true to the advertisement?

Just curious since if you looked at it; I would like to know.

Thanks.

Also; seems you really are aware of what you want and do not want. What is this based on and why?

Again, curious and through you and what you have learned in your boating, you can help those of us still looking.

Thanks.

Tim

GeoLeo;
So I assume you looked at the Prairie 29 in Port Canaveral. What did you think about the condition, looks, whatever about this boat?

Thanks.

Also; seems you really are aware of what you want and do not want. What is this based on and why?

Again, curious and through you and what you have learned in your boating, you can help those of us still looking.

Thanks.

Tim
OK Tim - since you asked- The P29 at a dealer in Canaveral is a nice boat- well cared for and nicely equipted however it has only a 37 HP engine. and that 37 HP is at hi rpms and quite noisy there. Asking price is 26-5K . The other one is from SORTIE a member here -it is also very well cared for and well equipted as well - but same 37 HP engine. He is asking 29K. I feel this engine will not be good for :punching thru a 15 knot headwind with a 3 ft chop in shallow Gulf waters and will slow the boat from 7mph to 4 mph or less. A friend has one that has the 80 HP perkins and it it great It cruises at 1800 rpm . Has plenty in reserve to punch thru a chop.

GeoLeo;

Thanks.

Thanks.

Tim
In my 45 years of owning and cruising sailboats I have had 2 Perkins 4-108 diesel engines. They say they are 50 HP -yes but the book says you cant run them at 4000 rpm for more than 10 minutes so everyone "props' them for 2800- 3000 rpm where they only put out 37HP! At 2800 rpm they are very noisy. So most prop them at even lower rpm where mpg is very good but punching thru waves is poor .

In my 45 years of owning and cruising sailboats I have had 2 Perkins 4-108 diesel engines. They say they are 50 HP -yes but the book says you cant run them at 4000 rpm for more than 10 minutes so everyone "props' them for 2800- 3000 rpm where they only put out 37HP! At 2800 rpm they are very noisy. So most prop them at even lower rpm where mpg is very good but punching thru waves is poor .
:dance: BTW- have no idea what the dealer in Canaveral will take for the P29-however it has been there at least 8 months.:D

The buyer always pays the commission on a brokered boat sale.

While I understand what you are saying, even though the seller has a contract with a broker to pay the commission, the reality is the buyer is paying it. If the broker wasn't involved the boat would be 10% cheaper typically.

As far as brokers having resources, in today's world of the internet you can find the same thing the broker is looking at with a little bit of effort. Where this may not apply is to the local knowledge deals where the broker doesn't have a listing but knows an owner may entertain offers. On occasion a good deal maybe located this way.
:flowers:You know it Si:eek:r!

GeoLeo;
Thank you for your comments. I appreciate the hands on experience of boaters.

So from your comments, you would want at least a 50hp for such a small trawler as a Prairie 29 in order to serve your needs and have necessary power when you need it.

Somehow I had not thot of this much hp needed. I like what you say though.

So is it not easy to find a "nice" vessel with such hp as you desire?

Thanks.

Tim

GeoLeo
Come over to La. and look at my '83 Atlantic 30. Same hull as the Prairie 29. Galley down, NavCom AP with remote, dual steering stations, TAMD40B(165hp), new canvas, 4.4 Westerbek genny, 2 vhf radios, 2 garmin plotters, anchor windless, A/C, foldout coach, high/low table, forward birth with captains birth. 7 knt cruise at 1600RPM, 3.5 mpg. Needs a compounding and wax job but otherwise ready to cruise. 35k
Doug

My Cape Dory has a TAMD-41P Turbo installed at 200 hp. Likely way overpowered as only 40-50 hp needed for our 7.5Knot Cruise speed (at 2K RPM's)... 2 Gal. per hour so still pretty efficient even with the big motor. Can do 15K WOT but I don't run it there. Having some reserve is nice though..I Met a guy with a 50hp Beta installed and it worked well and he seemed quite happy with that power in a 10K lb 28 footer.....

Last edited:

My 4-108 was rated 51 hp @ 4000 RPM. Max continuous 3000.
Just like a car engine may be rated at 200 hp at 6000 RPM but nobody in their right mind would be driving at 6000 continuously. :ermm:
Are you suggesting Perkins should rate their engines at cruise RPM, rather than max?

Attachments

• Irma 1.jpg
    Irma 1.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 63
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom