WOT on my primary boat is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wide Open throttle on my primary boat is:

• My boat is full displacement and will not exceed hull speed

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • WOT is between hull speed and 12 knots

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • WOT is between 12 knots and 17 knots

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • WOT is between 17 knots and 22 knots

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • WOT is greater than 22 knots

Votes: 14 18.2%

• Total voters

BandB

Guru
Wifey B: Discussion about speeds boats owned here will run. Not the speed they're used but their Wide Open Throttle, Pedal to the Metal. :)

I chose hull to 12. When I first bought it (used), it would hit 13 knots but since my wife loaded it up ("we need one of these for the boat") I don't think I can hit more than 12. Maybe less.

I cruise at 7 knots. Actually, I cruise at 2000 RPM and take whatever the current gives me. It's been as high as 12 and as low as 3. Slack water is 7.

I chose hull to 12. When I first bought it (used), it would hit 13 knots but since my wife loaded it up ("we need one of these for the boat") I don't think I can hit more than 12. Maybe less.

I cruise at 7 knots. Actually, I cruise at 2000 RPM and take whatever the current gives me. It's been as high as 12 and as low as 3. Slack water is 7.

Wifey B: Yes, the question isn't what we do run but what we can run. This is about the boat, not the user. :)

We’re only slightly different.
6 knot cruise, 2300rpm and take whatever the current gives me.
Been as high as 11 and as low as 2.

Loaded as my boat is, I can to between 11-12 knots. Normal cruise is between 7-8

Running light, on the pins 30+ knots.

2650 RPM. WOT 9.2 light . 9.0 heavy. I monitor STW by using a paddle wheel transducer. SOG is influenced by current.

Right at 30kts clean bottom and wheel, 2700rpm.

Fast cruise 21kts at 2000.

If diesel is expensive, 7.5kts at 950.

While mine isn't a displacement hull, because of the repower it won't exceed hull speed. Think the poll might be more useful if the 3 choices had been:

1. Hull speed and below
2. Plowing (above hull speed and below planing [square root of waterline length x 2])
3. Planing

Ted

The last time I operated mine at WOT was immediately after the re-power, (June 2000) with the mechanic aboard. I think the speed was about 10 or maybe 10.5. The fwd visibility was hampered by the height of the bow, as the stern had fallen into a deep hole. Why I would ever go to WOT again, I don't know.
At cruise, max speed and min speed are about 8.5 and 7.5.

The last time I operated mine at WOT was immediately after the re-power, (June 2000) with the mechanic aboard. I think the speed was about 10 or maybe 10.5. The fwd visibility was hampered by the height of the bow, as the stern had fallen into a deep hole. Why I would ever go to WOT again, I don't know.

At cruise, max speed and min speed are about 8.5 and 7.5.

Same here. This last summer after the new engine was installed. WOT is loud, expensive, and uncomfortable with the bow reaching for the sky. (Well, not quite as I did use the trim tabs. One of the few times they made a big difference.)

When I first got Willy didn’t go over 6.5 knots.
But I thought I should go WOT to see how she ran and check my prop loading. So I ran her up and only got 2750rpm. Needed 3000. I continued on for about 5 minutes and the engine suddenly quit. I was in a narrow channel and ranout to deploy the anchor. After a few more minutes I started the engine like it didn’t have a problem. It did. But I had no idea it did until I ran WOT.

Henceforth it has been one of my engine checks. Every several months I run WOT for about 5 minutes.

While mine isn't a displacement hull, because of the repower it won't exceed hull speed. Think the poll might be more useful if the 3 choices had been:

1. Hull speed and below
2. Plowing (above hull speed and below planing [square root of waterline length x 2])
3. Planing

Ted

Ted to equalize for boat length your #2 would be more specific if it was to read “.8 x hull speed to” something like “1.5 to perhaps 2 x hull speed”.

Displacement hull. My WOT speed with a slack tide and a clean bottom is about 7.5 knots in flat water. In average conditions with 3-5 foot waves I usually lose a knot.

It's fairly rare that I run at WOT. That last 0.5 of a knot doubles both the engine noise and the fuel usage.

WOT for a brief time at the end of a run. 14K at 3700 rpm's gets the turbo exercised..
Normal cruise is 7.2K at 2000 rpms...
SD hull, 200 hp Volvo

Same here. This last summer after the new engine was installed. WOT is loud, expensive, and uncomfortable with the bow reaching for the sky. (Well, not quite as I did use the trim tabs. One of the few times they made a big difference.)

Wifey B: No problems since they repowered you? It was a PITA but they did step up didn't they?

Wifey B: No problems since they repowered you? It was a PITA but they did step up didn't they?

No problems at all and yes, Cummins Northwest really came through. So far 107 hours on the new engine that was put it in July. Having a grandkid for the first time slowed down our boat usage this fall.

When I first got Willy didn’t go over 6.5 knots.
But I thought I should go WOT to see how she ran and check my prop loading. So I ran her up and only got 2750rpm. Needed 3000. I continued on for about 5 minutes and the engine suddenly quit. I was in a narrow channel and ranout to deploy the anchor. After a few more minutes I started the engine like it didn’t have a problem. It did. But I had no idea it did until I ran WOT.

Henceforth it has been one of my engine checks. Every several months I run WOT for about 5 minutes.

The WOT run is part of all scheduled maintenance and is really the only way to know. Even with our desire for speed, we don't regularly run at WOT but we do every time we service the engines.

WOT on my primary boat is...

pointless.

The fwd visibility was hampered by the height of the bow, as the stern had fallen into a deep hole.

Could probably get it up on plane with a fusion reactor propulsion unit (I think Mr. Fusion makes one) but 7 knots is about twice as past as we used to sea kayak, so it's all good :thumb:

During our initial sea trial we ran at WOT for 10 minutes to make sure the boat was propped correctly and also that the engines and cooling systems could handle the heat generated and not let the engines overheat.

WOT is 2130 rpm's and was at 30.3 kts. Don't do that much because we're burning 65 gph. Ouch.

Fast cruise at 80% throttle (~1750 rpm's) yields about 22-24kts.
Hull speed is about 900 rpm's at 9.5kts
Cocktail speed at 500 rpm's yields about 5.5kts.

Not sure because I never run there long enough to verify speed, but I’d guess 7.7 kts.

Depending on the load, an American Tug 36 with a Cummins 380 turbo can easily reach around 18-20 mph approaching 3,000 rpm.

Best overall cruising taking into account speed, fuel use and range is about 9 mph at 1,600 rpm.

Attachments

• AT 34 on plane 2.jpg
    AT 34 on plane 2.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 50
Since re-power WOT is 11kn. Previously I could plow at 16.5 kn, and burn 34GPH. I briefly considered increasing engine power rather than reducing it, but knew I would rarely use it.

Even the 200 HP JD's I now have seldom run at more than 1800 rpm/40% load, so have more HP than I need. There were some Mk 1's with twin Lehmans, and although owners might have wanted more speed sometimes, they could run at up to 11 kn as well and were a smart choice for the boat back in the day.

WOT is 2400 (M1 rating) providing about 8.5.

I clicked on "hull speed to 12 knots" though the boat may do a bit more. I never run at flank speed so I really don't know. Rpm at flank speed on this fully loaded twin Lehman boat is about 2500. Normal cruise is 8-9 knots at 1800 which gets us just about 2mpg. When needed for running an inlet or for other sea state reasons I push it up to 2000-2200 for about 11-12 knots.

Ken

We’re only slightly different.
6 knot cruise, 2300rpm and take whatever the current gives me.
Been as high as 11 and as low as 2.

hey..if you can make it down the Skagit from Concrete at 6 knots, you're my hero. :)

WOT is 30kt
95% of the time it's running just fast enough to keep the egt at 500, 8kts

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom