Western FL Local Knowledge for Pine Island Please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roger Long

Vessel Name
Gypsy Star
Vessel Make
Gulf Star 43
We are presently in Saint Petersburg on our 43 foot, 4 foot draft, trawler. After I give some talks at Eckerd College, we will be resuming our exploration of western Florida. I would appreciate some local knowledge about the eastern passage past Pine Island north of Fort Myers. The charts are not very clear about the channel depths. This year was my 11 th AICW transit and I like poking into skinny waters but, for planning purposes, I’d like to be sure we won’t find this route blocked at all tide levels.

The east side of PI is very lightly traveled by cruising boats. 99.9 percent go down the ICW.

Let us know how you make out.

Last edited:
There is a marked channel that you can take. Better have a foot of tide and take it slow. What has happened to the depth after Irma I do not know.

dont do the eastern passage in that boat. that was the first advice my local charterr company gave me when i put my boat inservice with them.

Live on PI and agree with ljk....do not attempt the east side passage. OK in a smaller boat but not with a 4' draft!

I took my 18 ft center console (CC) down the east side of PI and back up west side some years back. We've had a place on Little Gasparilla Island (north of Boca Grande) for over 20 years and I've taken the CC all over those waters.

Also chartered 3-4 35-45 ft sailboats out of Burnt Store Marina on Charlotte Harbor over the years plus a Grand Banks 42 out of Tarpon Point Marina (Cape Coral) 3 years ago.

I bought a used Grand Banks 42 a little over a year ago; she's berthed on the river in downtown Ft. Myers. I'd recommend that you forego the east side in a boat as large as yours. It's really a small boat channel.

There are plenty of places to explore and anchor out in Pine Island Sound and up towards the swing bridge going to Boca.

Last edited:
I agree with staying on the ICW, been down Matlacha pass many times when
I had a pontoon boat. It is very narrow and twisty in spots and can get shallow. Will try it with my 34' MT some day, but would want ideal conditions.
Check Active Caption for anchorages down Pine Island sound, there
are many.

Not that you need more of the same, but I wouldn’t do it in a 4’ draft boat, either, unless you’re really looking for adventure.

Way too long ago to be relevant, but my dad & I did it in our 42’ that only needs about 3’ of water back in ‘95, and it was pretty sketchy. We bumped and pushed a few times, as I recall, but we may have had some rising tide in our pocket.

On a side note, was that you anchored in next to Marina Jack in Sarasota last weekend?

Hi Roger:

I am curious if your speaking engagement at Eckerd regards your experiences as a Naval Architect, and if so, is it open to the public?

Thank you,
Pea Trombley

Stay away from the east side of Pine Island. Especially in the winter when their is less water.

Back
Top Bottom