Music favs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good one, Ian. I miss the pure sound of the all acoustic instruments of the big band era. Songs with a message, a good melody, sung by clear voices.
Here's another from the Glenn Miller Orchestra.

Vale George and Malcolm Young

Yesterday was Malcolm Young`s funeral. Rhythm guitarist with AC/DC, he died of dementia, in his early 60s. His brother Angus continues with the band, still performing in school uniform. A great Aussie rock band, who found their name on a refrigerator label. Malcolm was said to be a catastrophe around boats, sinking one, burning another and contributing to rising sea levels by the number of anchors lost.

George died just weeks earlier. A founding member of the Easybeats, another iconic Aussie rock band, and prolific songwriter in conjunction with Harry Vanda. The Easybeats found success under the surprising guidance of the conservative Aussie music publishing company Alberts. Part 2 of a telemovie about the Easybeats screens next Sunday on ABC TV, in part 1 when the group looks like breaking up, Ted Albert compares them to the crew of a sailing boat, saying rule 1 is everyone stays in the boat. The Albert family raced yachts(sailboats)on Sydney Harbour, including sailing a humble Folkboat out of Royal Sydney Yacht Club, I competed with them.
Rock music may not be my thing, but the Easybeats, and AC/DC are ok.

A live AC/DC performance of Highway to Hell. Malcolm and Angus on guitar.

Great thread: from Glenn Miller to AC/DC isn’t done often!

Bruce, sad about Malcom (or anyone) checking out that early in life from dementia. I love rock (and most other forms of music) but I could never stand AC/DC (something about the late Bon Scott’s voice, I think) until I got an electric guitar and tried to play some of their stuff. Even their three-chord songs—done well—took so much more skill on electrics than I realized. Over the year’s they grew on me and I can now appreciate how good they are at what they do. Standing in front of a crowd like that and rocking an entire arena with all the dials turned up to 11 is a pretty amazing feat.

Last edited:
WOW, Bruce. They surely do know how to turn a crowd ON! So many musicians lives are cut short. I would say RIP, but somehow feel that would be too boring for him.

Here's a song that became the signature of the Duke Ellington Orchestra, Take the A Train. If you like it you may want to stay on board for their hit, Satin Doll.

Another Aussie rock standard, one that fired the imagination of many a teenage boy. Take a minute listening to the words of this gentle Mondo Rock classic.

Last edited:
Let's bring back the Dukes of September 3 talented guys with an awesome band behind them.

We haven't had any Christmas songs. This one shows Elvis and Martina McBride in an intimate performance. It really shows the pure sound of both their voices. Elvis was many things, but I think you have to agree that he was a great singer.

While on the Christmas season let's not forget a song co-written and sung by Mel Torme. Here he is note his flexible voice. I have only seen him in live performance one time, but he was most gracious and gentlemanly to the audience.

Last edited:
My annual Christmas Card. This is from a group from about 50 miles down the road from me.

This was sent to me by a French friend who is an honorary Tennessean. The singer is Johnny Halliday (stage name) that recently passed away. Like Elvis he had a great, strong voice. He wrote this song about my home state of Tennessee. I agree there is just "something about Tennessee". RIP, Johnny Halliday.

This was sent to me by a French friend who is an honorary Tennessean. The singer is Johnny Halliday (stage name) that recently passed away. Like Elvis he had a great, strong voice. He wrote this song about my home state of Tennessee. I agree there is just "something about Tennessee". RIP, Johnny Halliday.

Thanks for this post, Don. Like most Americans, I suspect, I never heard of this guy until he passed. Great voice . . . pretty clear that he was adored by his fans. And how cool to hear a Frenchman singing a tender song about Tennessee.

The other big takeaway from this clip is that they grow some really long-legged women over there! :thumb:

In keeping with legendary French artists, here’s one of the greatest living gypsy jazz players. His fretwork is absolutely dizzying.

And here is the Frenchman who inspired him and countless others in what I believe is the only known live video. Django is on the short lists of most players’ greatest-guitarist-ever . . . and his playing is all the more phenomenal when you realize the two smaller fingers on his fretting hand were paralyzed when he was badly burned a fire.

Ian, a great post. The two paralyzed fingers explain why he was picking in a flat top style. There's no way he could do it in the classical style. It seems he compensated for that by picking one string at a time. Whatever style it was, he was great.

My favourite Christmas song.

AusCan, your Christmas song reminded me of our family Christmas dinner two years ago. It was at my son's home. He came to me, and said, "Dad would you make the gravy. All the old cooks have passed on now". Then it dawned on me . . . . . . .

Paul Kelly is a "sleeper" in the music industry. Lots of talent. Maybe not an Aussie Leonard Cohen, but he has talent in spades.
Have we ever had any Carly Simon? Great American singer.

Have we ever had any Carly Simon? Great American singer.

Brings back lots of good memories. Carly's mom was a neighbor of my parents on Martha's Vineyard.

Ted

Good one, Ted. I've got the Carly channel saved on my ROKU.

Ian, will you be "back to Tennessee" for Christmas?

Here's a Bluegrass number from Doyle Lawson and his band.

Good one, Ted. I've got the Carly channel saved on my ROKU.

Ian, will you be "back to Tennessee" for Christmas?

Here's a Bluegrass number from Doyle Lawson and his band.

Don, we love Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver. He did a gospel album years ago that’s still in rotation at our house. Pls. See my PM.

Keeping to the Tennessee theme, here are two great pickers. I did love it when Chet Adkins and Jerry Reed would team up.

Last edited:
30 years ago....

What do you get when you combine:

Roy Orbison
Bruce Springsteen
Elvis Costello
Jackson Browne
Bonnie Raitt
K. D. Lang
The TCB Band and other guests

Roy Orbison and Friends: A Black and White Night

The special consisted of a performance of many of Orbison's hits at the then Ambassador Hotel's Coconut Grove nightclub in Los Angeles.

The five guitar jam in this song is amazing.

Oh, Pretty Woman

If you don't think Roy and Bruce are having a good time, make an appointment with your optometrist.

Dream Baby

The concert, TV special, and album revitalized Roy Orbison's career. Sadly, he would die 14 months later, working himself to death.

Ted

Excellent choice, Ted. One of my favorites.

Last edited:
A good oldie from Cat Stevens

Another fine singer/songwriter, Don. Nice to see him performing again after a 15-year hiatus. I’ll throw out one of my faves and hope it’s not one I posted before. These guys were amazing players (for a bunch of brawling drunks). It may be an urban legend, but I heard that The Who didn’t want to follow them on stage.

As a fan of standard country Western, I am surprised to have missed this fellow, now that I am on to him, wanted to share. Thanks,

Good one, Al. I've seen Billy Joe live a couple of times. My sister-in-law is a big fan. There's nothing like the pure sound of acoustic music by the "Singers and Song Writers". There are several songs on this one.

Last edited:
Here is a seriously nice track from my favourite R&B/acid jazz/soul band Incognito. From the "Transatlantic RPM" CD, and called 1975, a surprisingly catchy tuneful, slightly nostalgic, with Incognito rhythm. Maybe they owe something to EW&F. The band is UK based,led by Mauritian born Jean Paul Maunick, track features Joy Rose lead vocal.

Greetings,
Sorry if I've posted this before. Not necessarily the tune, although it is catchy, but the "instrument".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom