Starboard sliding Door lower guide block

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DLP

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Someday's Here
Vessel Make
1987 Jefferson 42
Looks like the lower guide for the Starboard door on my 1987 Jefferson has broken apart at the fastener points. Doing some searching on the web I saw some on BoatOutfitter but none my size. Looks like mine is about 3/8"x 3/8" x 3' long. Any Ideas for a source?? Please see attached pic ( I Hope ):confused: Also am I calling the guide by the right name? Thanks

Attachments

• thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 87
Many plastic shops should be able to cut that for you. UHMW polyethylene. I would get black for the UV protection. Also Starboard would do and it is already pigment loaded for UV protection and that will be available in white. Even if the thickness is greater the plastic shop would be able to cut it to 3/8 x 3/8. If you can't get 4ft in one piece get 2 x 2ft.

If you have a table saw you can cut it or a buddy can cut it.

Final fitting at the boat, cutting to final length , can be done with a hacksaw or other handsaw.

In your kitchen you likely have a UHMW breadboard that is 3/8 thick. A slice off the side should do the trick.

Hi Keith, I have found that many breadboards are very porous, do not have the plastic all the way through. A lot like modern ice cream which is whipped and if you actually let it melt, half the volume vanishes.

One other thing I discovered is that the plastic melts at a reasonable temperature (150C?) and can be moulded. I am going to try and make a mould for my windlass brake, which needs replacing but was custom made. Stand by for further developments...

Redwood Plastics has given me great information and engineering support in the past. If you live near one of their facilities, they sell off cuts and small pieces.

In your kitchen you likely have a UHMW breadboard that is 3/8 thick. A slice off the side should do the trick.

That's living dangerously!

West Marine usually has an assortment of starboard pieces on hand.
Steve W

Skipjack has a similar bottom door slide. They have them. I spoke to the parts guy and he said they are not easy to fit correctly unless your door is 90 degrees upright. If your door is angled you will need to match the angle at the bottom of the track where it screws in so the curved section of the track matches the interior curve on the bottom of the door.
888-947-8337.
They are in California

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom