43 Defever flips and sinks on Ten-Tom waterway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate acronyms and have no idea what fng is. It looks like that suit linked has little or no insulation. That could be the price to pay for the easy to put on feature. We have the "foam neoprene" type and they ARE hard to get on. Chris (wife) dosn't like the suit at all but I think they probably give good protection in the water when and if you get there w it "on".

Fighting windmills?

232323232%7Ffp73434%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D373955%3A2%3A8336nu0mrj

They are warmer than the gumbys by far. some those styles have a quilted liner

"Fighting windmills?"

Desperate for relevance?

RickB wrote:
Desperate for relevance?
I was dead on arrival.**
bucktooth.gif

232323232%7Ffp536%3A6%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D32%3C9995988336nu0mrj

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 10th of October 2011 12:12:00 PM

I am interested in how this Defever capsized. I have followed many tows before and wake has never been a problem. They can sometimes creat quite a turblance behind them. Asides from bottoming out from the water getting pushed out by the tow I just dont see this happening. Also the first reports I got of this, it happened at mile 217 which is by Demopolis Yacht Basin but the water should still be a lot deaper there because of the lock.

Some river rats put oversize dinghy (ski boat?), outdoor kitchen, freezer etc up top and destroy CG such that a gentle wave will roll them. I boated for many years on the Mississippi and can well believe a tow boat wake would roll a top heavy cruiser, especially if wake opposing current.

Badger wrote:nomadwilly wrote:

Good points Fred. Also one needs to be ABLE to get into the survival suites fairly quickly. Ours are difficult to put on and under extreme stress * ....could be a problem. I recommend everyone try on their survival suites once a year.

I don't know how much they cost, but the below style of survival suit is much easier to put on than a gumby suit http://www.mustangsurvival.com/prof...-immersion-suit-harness?division=professional We had both styles on the fire engine, the fng always got the gumby.

-- Edited by Badger on Saturday 8th of October 2011 12:09:19 PM

*Those are work suits they won't keep you alive very long in northern waters the gumby suit will. End of story.

SD

Oh yeah!!

Now that I like.**They *will do the job.

The issue is cost. Few boaters can afford the cost of one.

Especially if you never need to use it.

You can pick up a Gumby for a few hundred bucks.

And they do work. Ask any commercial fisherman who has ever had to go into the water.

The deal is you can afford to have them on board.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 12th of October 2011 03:54:51 PM

The rumors I heard while in Demopolis was that the Defever had a rather heavy motorcycle on the flybridge and the fuel tanks were low. This would explain the capsizing. Has anyone heard the same?

Daddyo wrote:
I strongly disagree with the towing the dink is safer idea, it's an accident waiting to happen. A deck or flybridge stowed dingy is very safe. We have a Boston Whaler 11 with a 35hp two stroke on the fly lifted by a crane. It is securely tied down with ratchets in a custom cradle. Remember these are self deploying when the boat sinks:) We also have a 6-man life raft in a canister on the foredeck just for good measure.

Attachments

• dingy.jpg
    dingy.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 163
Back
Top Bottom