View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #26
Tom.B
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
RE: Cheap Sun Glasses

If I may chime in... I refuse to wear cheap sunglasses. In the past 20 years, I don't think I have spent less than $100 on a pair of shades. Cheap-O's just don't last, they don't offer the same protection, and they have very poor optics. They scratch easily and distort the image around the outer edges and eyes tire after only just a few hours behind cheap polarization. I really try and do my homework on sunglasses, try on a lot of styles at a few stores, and find ones that really fit well. Been an Oakley fan for most of these years because of their fit and styling, but have since tried a pair of Maui Jim's and Revo's. I like both of them well enough, I suppose, but they really aren't as modern looking as I would like. The Revo's have great coverage and fabulous optics but get sweaty easily. The MJ's are good, but are a bit too grey in their tinting.

Sure, the downside is that if you lose them, you've lost a pile of cash, but to me, it is worth the risk. I used to lose expensive glasses a lot, but now have learned to be more aware of them and not put them at risk. I understand how hard it is to justify spending that much for shades, but once you get a pair, you'll understand. They ARE worth it. I'll never wear a cheap pair again (if I can at all help it).

Tom-
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote