Can you identify this location?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Seahorse,

I thought it was a good shot of our boat heading into Desolation Sound too.* A friend took this from the GB 36.

Keith Olive

Willard 30

La Conner

Second pic is Active Pass. Third is Tracy Arm south of Juneau. The last looks like San Juan or Gulf Island territory but I don't recognize it at all.

Walt, * Sounds like you had a great time beating the odds on your trip. I've never been the Johnston Strait route except by ferry. But I've run Yaculta in a 10 knot boat (max) with about 8.5 to 9 knots current. Took 45 minutes and 15% of the time the GPS said 0 speed fwd. Tidal currents generally are not a problem in the back channels. Ya go slow and ya go fast but that Yaculta experience was the only time I've been almost stopped. Just my experience and where I was and when I was there. Big Bay was the only place I can remember actually waiting for slack water. Planned not to be at Deception Pass at max current many times and spent the night at Bowman Bay to avoid max current. Keeping a straight course in whirlpools most of the time is watching the water over the bow moving sideways and going hard over w the helm and full throttle (especially if you have small rudders) at just the right time, usually a bit later than I expect.*

I'll wait till later today to post the picture locations ..weather permitting *...forecast is bad. Lots of guys know where these are. Those that have cruised SE will know these places like Tom White and Old Salt.
<table class="forumline borderline" style="font-size:12px;background-color:#0053a2;border-collapse:collapse;margin-bottom:10px;width:100%;border-width:1px;border-color:#0053a2;border-style:solid;" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr class="tr tr-odd"><td class="row1 borderline comment-content" style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;border-collapse:collapse;background-color:#eff2f9;border-width:1px;border-color:#0053a2;border-style:solid;padding:4px;" valign="top"><table style="font-size:12px;width:1106px;padding:0px;margin:0px;"><tbody><tr><td style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;width:1102px;" colspan="2"><table style="font-size:12px;width:100%;" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;" colspan="2">
Marin this picture is absolutely stunning.
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Saturday 8th of October 2011 11:12:19 AM

Well it looks like the interest in pictures went dead.*

My mystery pics are:

1. * Kake Alaska. West of Petersburg and north of Rocky Pass.

2. * Point Baker Alaska. On the NW corner of Prince of Wales Island.

Eric, I'm still interested in the pictures. I just can't identify places I haven't been. I will say that these pictures make we want to toss off the lines and head North!

Hi Eric

Here are some more.........

Attachments

• dodds from south.jpg
    dodds from south.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 89
  • dodds from north.jpg
    dodds from north.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 103
  • prideaux at night.jpg
    prideaux at night.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 88
  • squirrel.jpg
    squirrel.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 89
  • von dunop.jpg
    von dunop.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 85
  • chrome.jpg
    chrome.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 96
The first one looks like Dodd Narrows, the 4th looks like Squirrel Cove.

Keith Olive

I'll play too - #3 looks like the end of Van Donop Inlet and #5 looks like Chrome Island light.

I think the first two are Dodd Narrows, first from the south, then from the north, the fourth one is definitely Squirrel Cove and the last one is definitely Chrome Island.

Below is a shot I took of Chrome the other year.* Anybody know where the next five are from?

Attachments

• chrome island 1.jpg
    chrome island 1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 77
  • floathouse 2.jpg
    floathouse 2.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 91
  • minesweeper 1.jpg
    minesweeper 1.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 86
  • government dock.jpg
    government dock.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 75
  • n3c.jpg
    n3c.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 79
  • dock.jpg
    dock.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 81
No idea, but I love the looks of the float plane.

Guess whered (somewhere in Alaska).

232323232%7Ffp53835%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B2%3A2869%3B336nu0mrj

It's an N3N-3, a trainer made by the Government Aircraft Factory. I believe it is the only plane, or at least the only successful plane, made by the US government itself. Made prior to WWII it was used by the Navy as a primary trainer both on wheels and on floats like this one.

#3 Squirrel Cove, #4 Squirrel Cove Government dock, #5 Pender Harbour and # 6 Refuge Cove.
Ok I give up where is two? My photos #1 Dodd Narrows from the south, #2 Dodd Narrows from the north, #3 Prideaux Haven, #4 Squirrel Cove, #5 Von Dunop and #6 Chrome Island.

#2 is from the same place as this photo.

Attachments

• rafted.jpg
    rafted.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 85
markpierce wrote:
*I think you can see it if you go to Hospital Bay in Pender Harbour.* And I believe its an N3N.

bobofthenorth wrote:markpierce wrote:
*I think you can see it if you go to Hospital Bay in Pender Harbour.* And I believe its an N3N.

Yes, it is. It's an N3N-3.* I'm told it that it can still fly.* Judging by some small print on the plane, I think it's owned by a sort of historical association.* It's kept in a ramshackle hangar on the dock (to the left in the photo) and is rolled out on a railcar to a small derrick which launches and retrieves it.* We dinghied around from where we were anchored Garden Bay to see it but there was nobody around so I couldn't learn much about this particular plane's history.

Attachments

• n3n-3.jpg
    n3n-3.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 90
I might as well keep it going.* These shouldn't be too difficult.

-- Edited by Giggitoni on Monday 10th of October 2011 05:02:10 PM

Attachments

• dsc_3099.jpg
    dsc_3099.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 99
  • dsc_3019.jpg
    dsc_3019.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 89
Here's 3 more - I'll give up that they're all in the vicinity of Desolation Sound.

download.spark
download.spark
download.spark

First one is Refuge Cove. Don't know about the second one, but is the third one by chance Roscoe Bay? Not been in there yet but it looks intriguing in photos and on the chart.

Marin wrote:bobofthenorth wrote:markpierce wrote:

Yes, it is. It's an N3N-3.*...

*Did a bit of research.* Several hundred were made.* One was used in Hitchcock's North by Northwest to buzz the hero. ...* Anyone out there have a TBF?

232323232%7Ffp53834%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3A9%3A8%3A84%3B336nu0mrj

A good friend of mine had a TBF for several years. He's since sold it.

#2 was behind Elworthy Island on the south side of Waddington Channel. There's room for four or maybe five boats as long as they stern tie to the island. And yes, Refuge Cove and Roscoe Bay. We loved Roscoe Bay - the entrance likely keeps a lot of people out but it doesn't need to.

Before we get too far away from them, the photos I posted on page three are (after the Seal Cove floatplane base photo), Active Pass in the Gulf Islands, the LeConte Glacier near Petersburg, and Silva Bay on Gabriola Island in the Gulf Islands.

The photos of the little*weatherbeaten, beached floathouse and our GB rafted with a sailboat are both from Grace Harbor in Desolation Sound.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 10th of October 2011 08:33:10 PM

Shhhhhh..........thats a secret, beautiful anchorage with a great swimming lake!

Ray--- I haven't been there since I was a wee kid living in Sausalito, but is your first photo by chance Angel Island?

Marin wrote:
Ray--- I haven't been there since I was a wee kid living in Sausalito, but is your first photo by chance Angel Island?
*Haven't yet figured out what picture you're referring to, but the northeast end of Angel Island is the landform on the left of this photo.

img_62475_0_759f36e8fa9d1dcc85533411114fa5ae.jpg

(Sure hope RickB doesn't monitor this thread.**His snipes are tiresome.)

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 10th of October 2011 09:00:20 PM

Marin, you got it! The first photo is Ayala Cove on the north side of Angel Island. Richmond is in the background. The second?

-- Edited by Giggitoni on Monday 10th of October 2011 09:21:50 PM

Giggitoni wrote:
Marin, you got it! The first photo is Ayala Cove on the north side of Angel Island. Richmond is in the background. The second?

-- Edited by Giggitoni on Monday 10th of October 2011 09:21:50 PM
*That's easy for me.* That's the lighthouse complex on the Brothers betwixt San Francisco and San Pablo Bays.

img_62480_0_9cd66c6b72f488a6760a8b9d06b8f4bd.jpg

(Looking south.)

That's right, Mark. You captured your image from the west side of the island. The Brothers is about 1,000 feet west of Point San Pablo and defines the ancient western boundary of the Sacramento River trace during the last Ice Age. The water depth between the island and Pt. San Pablo exceeds 130 feet. Pretty darn deep for a bay that averages 15 feet! The ancient trace of the Sacramento River also ran between Angel Island and Point Tiburon; Raccoon Strait. The water depth in Raccoon Strait is up to 170 feet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom