Tip The Tow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopCar

Guru
Vessel Name
Possum
Vessel Make
Ellis 28
I’m having a boat towed from a private dock to a marina tomorrow. Boat US is covering it. Should I tip the tow boat Captain? I’m thinking twenty bucks and a sincere thank you. What do you guys think?

:thumb: Very generous!

Ted

Everyone tips $20. You want to be remembered in a favorable way, consider a bit more and be generous with the compliments too. That is assuming, it was a 'quiet', successful uneventful tow.

I'd go $20-50, depending on the service. I once tipped a West Marine employee $20 when he delivered an overdue deck chair to me at a CA Delta boat ramp.

Is this the new boat you're buying from NE? I'd definitely pay the guy more than $20...or buy a better boat.

:hide:

Last edited:
How bout zero

I'd go $20-50, depending on the service. I once tipped a West Marine employee $20 when he delivered an overdue deck chair to me at a CA Delta boat ramp.

Is this the new boat you're buying from NE? I'd definitely pay the guy more than $20...or buy a better boat.

You guys are all richer than me, but you are contracting for a service. I don’t understand the tip. I hate the whole idea of tipping. Why don’t business owners just pay folks a fair wage instead of depending on the generosity of strangers. Sincere question: why should you tip for a tow?

And frankly I am surprised

That this question even has come up. I would never think of tipping the wrecker driver who tows my car to a garage...why is it different for a boat?

Good question. I've never to be towed yet ,thankfully. If I did I guess I would tip them if I was happy with the job but I think the towing companies themselves make a ton of money ,especially off of those who don't have a policy. A few years ago my friends son ran a 27' boat up on the shore. Way up on the shore. TowBoat was contacted & showed up with an outboard powered boat. He tried in vain to get the boat off of the beach with his boat to no avail. I can't say his techniques impressed me much, either. Regardless, and after no success, another TowBoat captain showed up who brought his personal diesel powered Chesapeake Deadrise. He finally muscled the boat off of the beach where the other operator took over & towed it across the creek to the slip. It was an all day affair but the total cost of the day billed to my friend was around $13000. I think the deadrise operator told me he got $2000 & I don't know what the other operator got.

I'm super generous when someone goes out of their way for me. For example my bilge pump quit on my zodiac at the local marina, one of the young guys that works there noticed and pumped it out and then called me to let me know. I was out of town and he kept an eye on it till i got back. Him i gave a 100$.

For people i hire to do a job, never tip.

How long will the tow take him ?

I'd say it depends on the job he does. IF he does what he's expected to do, his salary should cover it. If he goes above and beyond, reward the behavior.

Other things you can do as well is ask if he has some business cards to give to your friends, or offer to be a reference if he ever needs one.

My boat is my luxury item, my pride and joy. I spend a great deal of time and money keeping it looking great. I expect people who do jobs on my boat to treat it the same way. If they make the effort to do a good job and be careful, I think a tip is a reasonable sign of appreciation for a job well done.

I also views tips as wanting people to remember me favorably for future business. The people who work in marinas or boatyards for an hourly wage, remember those of us who tip and usually give us preferential treatment or greater care when handling our boats.

Ted

Last edited:
You guys are all richer than me, but you are contracting for a service. I don’t understand the tip. I hate the whole idea of tipping. Why don’t business owners just pay folks a fair wage instead of depending on the generosity of strangers. Sincere question: why should you tip for a tow?
Do you ever say thank you, or is that too much of an effort to show appreciation for a job well done? If you can say thank you for pumping out my holding tank, but can't be bothered to give the person $5, then you're just cheap.

Ted

:hide:

Al, it’s an old 25 foot Aquasport Cuddy Cabin. I’m a part owner. We keep it behind my friends house in Punta Gorda Florida.

The Seawall behind the house was damaged in the last hurricane and we’ve got to get it out of the way so they can fix the seawall. Engine won’t start. That’s why we need the tow.

It’s damn cold here! I need to get back to Miami.

I will tell what I experienced in 15 years of doing it.

For a dock to dock which is a scheduled tow and not a call out.....the usual was nothing. As often the owner wasnt even there to do it. But if they were, they usually gave $20 for a less than a 2 hr tow, $50 bucks if longer or complicated and sometimes a bit more if it was downright nasty or difficult. Or they were just impressed with the boat handling or info provided throughout the evolution.

Assistance tow boat captains usually dont make squat for their scheduling and overall work routine. Owners of the company might be a bit different. I would say the average waitress where I captained made at least as much or more annually, and if they worked Atlantic City or Resort restaurants, WAYYYY more. Granted they worked more hours, but their schedules were way better as they were not always on call.

Soooooo, tip or dont...... basic easy service I might still do $10....... If you feel the service was above and beyond...let you heart be your guide.

Of course, use that keen mariners eye. If the guy has a ripped up uniform, old boat shoes and bad teeth....think about that tip. If he has a brand new $300 float coat or outerwear, $200 boat shoes, thousands in gold and piercings plus a Rolex....skipping it may not be too bad....:D

Good question. I've never to be towed yet ,thankfully. If I did I guess I would tip them if I was happy with the job but I think the towing companies themselves make a ton of money ,especially off of those who don't have a policy. A few years ago my friends son ran a 27' boat up on the shore. Way up on the shore. TowBoat was contacted & showed up with an outboard powered boat. He tried in vain to get the boat off of the beach with his boat to no avail. I can't say his techniques impressed me much, either. Regardless, and after no success, another TowBoat captain showed up who brought his personal diesel powered Chesapeake Deadrise. He finally muscled the boat off of the beach where the other operator took over & towed it across the creek to the slip. It was an all day affair but the total cost of the day billed to my friend was around $13000. I think the deadrise operator told me he got $2000 & I don't know what the other operator got.

While the company owners may make a bunch of money, few of the employees are anything but lower middle income at best......unless there is way more to the story involving company work outside of assistance towing.

These sky high one time payments are often settled for way less....the cost of running these boats can be pretty expensive when every year or so you are replacing expensive gear (go price 600 feet of 3/4 to 1 inch towline) or running them into pkaces m9st never go and overtent the engines due to mud etc....

Nope, have to disagree....

If every day was a $13,000 day I might agree..... but there are many zero days and many minus days too, like a lot of businesses.

Last edited:

I can promise you as someone that spent many years in the service business a tip goes a long way. Has nothing to do with what the employers pay. Good service people enjoy helping others and also enjoy the recognition that a tip provides. Doesn’t have to be a lot of $$$. In your efforts to save 10 bucks You are missing out on many benefits that you never knew about that an employee that feels appreciated will provide.

I tip the dock personnel and the lady in the office, quarterly, soon after I get paid.

They are all good people and keep an eye on the boat when I am not around.

Waiting for the Tow.temp in the forties. Pretty day.

Attachments

• 86D4A6E4-C7B8-4E8E-95D5-303093A9F062.jpg
    86D4A6E4-C7B8-4E8E-95D5-303093A9F062.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 124
Tow underway.

Attachments

• EE71788D-3AF8-40D6-B274-3033BE046D12.jpg
    EE71788D-3AF8-40D6-B274-3033BE046D12.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 116
There was a time when tips were given as a reward for services beyond expectations.
Not any more.

Job is done.
Forty bucks for the driver. Ten for the dock hand.

I have to agree with those who say the employer should pay the employees and they should not have to rely on tips for part of their income. On the other hand, this is not the custom in the USA and tips are expected in many situations. I have had servers follow me out of a restaurant screaming that I forgot to tip (it was a misunderstanding, I thought the tip was added automatically because that's what the menu stated).

I've also been in the position of showing a group of associates photos of my boat and then realizing that my boat was worth more than one of their homes (he lived in a trailer).

In the boating situation, I do tip and I would tip the tow boat driver. $20 is about what I would tip for a tow.

Oh joy... another tipping thread ;-)

I’m glad you got your boat moved and tipped for the service.

Let’s change the subject... Do you have a new boat picked out Parks?

I tip restaurants as that is the custom and workers there absolutely depend on it.

Dockhands or other marine help, generally no tip. Unless they go above and beyond to help accommodate me. Like moving boats out of the way, doing the lines so well that I don't need to adjust them, bringing the ice down right to the boat, helping tie in pouring rain or bad wind, etc, etc.

But agreed, sometimes the tip is a good idea if you may need some good help in the future!

I tip restaurants as that is the custom and workers there absolutely depend on it.

Dockhands or other marine help, generally no tip. Unless they go above and beyond to help accommodate me. Like moving boats out of the way, doing the lines so well that I don't need to adjust them, bringing the ice down right to the boat, helping tie in pouring rain or bad wind, etc, etc.

But agreed, sometimes the tip is a good idea if you may need some good help in the future!

And that's where I think this "tipping thing" is screwed up. A waitress asks you what you want to eat, brings you food cooked by someone else and refills your drink and expects a 20% tip. She is indoors, protected from heat cold and rain. A dockhand runs down the dock in the heat, cold or rain, grabs your lines and fends off your $200K boat and gets $5, maybe $10, maybe nothing at all.

How is this fair?

I will tell what I experienced in 15 years of doing it.

For a dock to dock which is a scheduled tow and not a call out.....the usual was nothing. As often the owner wasnt even there to do it. But if they were, they usually gave $20 for a less than a 2 hr tow, $50 bucks if longer or complicated and sometimes a bit more if it was downright nasty or difficult. Or they were just impressed with the boat handling or info provided throughout the evolution.

Assistance tow boat captains usually dont make squat for their scheduling and overall work routine. Owners of the company might be a bit different. I would say the average waitress where I captained made at least as much or more annually, and if they worked Atlantic City or Resort restaurants, WAYYYY more. Granted they worked more hours, but their schedules were way better as they were not always on call.

Soooooo, tip or dont...... basic easy service I might still do $10....... If you feel the service was above and beyond...let you heart be your guide.

Of course, use that keen mariners eye. If the guy has a ripped up uniform, old boat shoes and bad teeth....think about that tip. If he has a brand new $300 float coat or outerwear, $200 boat shoes, thousands in gold and piercings plus a Rolex....skipping it may not be too bad....:D

Thanks for sharing your experiences. We would tip a minimum of $20 and it would go on up from there. Tip would be based on attitude of tow captain and length and difficulty of job and on the size and type of boat being towed. I would definitely tip generously for an exceptional job done.

I can picture a tow from 20 nm offshore, on a windy day with 3-4' seas at 4 seconds. In a case like that the tow captain is kept from any other jobs for most of the day. That one would be $200-$300. More if it involved towing up a River.

I ran into a family that got towed into a marina on the ICW and the captain was great as was the family. The family said, we got a nice ride, even if it was under tow. The owner tipped $50 and another boat owner asked why they tipped for something they'd paid for. His comment was interesting. He said, "I'd like he and his girlfriend to have as nice a dinner as we're going to."

In my neck of the woods, a tow from 20 miles offshore would be at least $1500 to $2000 for a non member. Greater than $300 per hour and nearly a 6 hr evolution. (of course it depends on towing and rowed vessels...remember it is dock to dock for the tow vessel).

Captains would make from $300 to $450 on that tow....but still would average less than $600l per week per year....unless there was work outside towing available like diving, maintenance, etc.

Maybe the reason I did well on tips is because often, I would troubleshoot the vessels problem after the tow and it wasnt uncommon for me to save the guy a long wait and ultimately a $500 mechanic bill. At least I offered water, sunscreen, or more importantly bug repellent and sometimes just downright kindness on a day that wasnt turning out so great for the boat owner.

Plus.... the comment on having a nice dinner was right on....many a thankful tow was so pleased, they delighted in saying go have a nice dinner on me.

Last edited:
At least I offered water, sunscreen, or more importantly bug repellent and sometimes just downright kindness on a day that wasnt turning out so great for the boat owner.

I can only imagine how many times you arrived to tow and the owner apologized and said how embarrassed they were and you told them politely it happens to everyone and without it you wouldn't have a job or something of that nature, just to make their day less bleak.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom