Best Batteries for GB 32

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grandbanksbayfield

Vessel Name
Solvogn
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 32
Just bought a lovely 32, Steadfast, currently located at Bayfield WI. We are changing the name to Solvogn. "Wooden Home" was a false start. In June we will cruise to Mackinaw City, and leave it there for a couple weeks. About July 1st, we will return and do a cruise through the North Channel and then head home to St. Clair Shores. Right now, our mechanic at Pikes Bay Marina in Bayfield is going through the boat for me to service it and bring it up to prime operating condition for this long trip -- impellers, filters, the works. Naturally I have a few questions.

We need new batteries the current 4D's being 12 years old. What do you owners recommend? I do not want to change the charging system and will be a pretty light user of electricity.

If you have travelled the south shore of Lake Superior, which anchorages would you recommend? I know the obvious ones like Munising, Grand Marais, the cut through Kewanee, etc. If the breeze is from the south, are there good places to simply pull in fairly close to the shore and anchor?

Having sold my lovely Nor'Sea27 and bought my first power boat, this is an exciting trip. Being emplowered with that diesel engine, radar, and a place to steer that is out of the rain will be a novelty. Any hints appreciated.

Perry

Last edited:
Like many topics, there are no best batteries....tho some will try and tell you so.

There may be a likely candidate for a specific solution however.

But without knowing your starting, charging and house circuits...... it is all just guessing.

The safest answer is replace in kind....that takes care of wiring and charging issues...so the only thing left is what brand to buy. I would go ask around and find out where truckers get their 8Ds and 4Ds from.

I'm assuming you are referring to house battys vs starting based on the comment re electricsl usage.

Take a look at this batty comparison. I have 3 8Ds but will likely not replace in kind when the time comes. GCs are hard to beat when comparing $/AH/charge cycle. Readily available in either FLA or AGM at reasonable cost. Check Sams Club (Duracell by East Penn) or Costco... best price in many places.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/deep_cycle_battery

We need new batteries the current 4D's being 12 years old. What do you owners recommend? I do not want to change the charging system and will be a pretty light user of electricity.

If you have travelled the south shore of Lake Superior, which anchorages would you recommend? I know the obvious ones like Munising, Grand Marais, the cut through Kewanee, etc. If the breeze is from the south, are there good places to simply pull in fairly close to the shore and anchor?

Might be useful to consider how often (perhaps as a percentage?) you might be anchoring out, and for how long at a time. And whether you're got a genset to recharge as often as necessary, whatever that turns out to be.

And "light user" can mean lots of different things... from a few interior lights occasionally... to major load with interior lights, fridge(s), maybe electric cooking, anchor light, plotter for anchor alarm, VHF, etc... so maybe you can better quantify that...

And then are you meaning house batteries only? Or do your 4Ds also start and engine or two?

And how easy is it for you to periodically service batteries? Easy suggests FLA could be fine, more difficult suggests maybe AGMs would make your life easier.

In very general terms, two 12V G31s (for example) weigh less than a single 4D, so might be easier to schlepp and install.

In very general terms, pairs of deep cycle 6V golf cart batteries are often a good solution for house loads.

But it's hard to suggest "best" since situation and circumstances tend to be personal...

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom