Caterpillar Colour MPDs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrisHamish

Vessel Name
Beluga
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 46eu 2006 hull#289
Hi Everybody,

Greetings from a very warm and tropical Brisbane, Australia!

Do any of you have any experience (awesome, not great, just plain ugly) with CAT Colour Marine Power Displays?

My VDO gauges are dying and am looking to replace them. The first owner of 'Beluga' (or the dealer) specc'ed the VDO gauges in order to save a few $$, but after 10 years they are starting to give up the ghost.

I like the functionality of the CATColour MPDs, but am keen to hear real life feedback from those who alrady have them before I 'jump in'.

Thanks all.

H.

I have the Cat displays shown below. Is that what you're asking about?

Attachments

• 4773548_20140731171826301_3_XLARGE.jpg
    4773548_20140731171826301_3_XLARGE.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 147
Hi Neworleansrich,

Thanks for the reply and the pic.

Yes, your MFDs are very similar to the ones proposed to me by CAT. Only real difference is I think yours are monochrome? The newer ones are colour and maybe a bit higher pixel resolution, but as I understand it they have basically the same functionality and flexibility.

If I am going to get new gauges, I like the idea that I could configure it to show oil temp and turbo boost and load, as well as rpm/coolant temp/oil pressure/ voltage (which is what my current VDOs show).

My biggest question for you is, are they clearly visible on a very bright sunny day when there is a lot of glare?

Thanks,

Hamish.

These are monochrome. The night light is red. Visibilty is good, day and night. I like the way you can configure them for digital numbers or analog gauges. These units are from 2004 and have held up well (inside the boat). Not sure how they would do out in the elements.

The only thing I would wish for would be more specific diagnostic info. Typically, when there is an engine fault, it comes up as a code number which you then need to look up.

If you are redoing a dash, these would be easier to mount compared to individual gauges. CAT makes good stuff. I'm sure the newer versions are nicer.

Thank you, that is helpful to know!

Hamish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom