Mainship 350/390 Dinghy Davit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shrew

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
N/A
Vessel Make
1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I'm preparing to install a dinghy davit system on my Mainship 350.

I have a flat bottomed dinghy, so without a keel I am limited in my options.

I would prefer NOT to have to remove the OB. The OB is only a 4HP so it is very possible. However, I'd like the convenience of not having to do a breakdown/setup.

I'm looking at this setup:

Inflatable Dingy Davit Products - Trick Davit Systems

I like it because I can set the system up to accomodate my flat bottom. Later, when we upgrade to a rib it can be converted to accomodate the V-hull.

I think I'll need to install the extension arms. My concern is whether this will cause stern-most tube to drag in the wake behind the boat.

My other option would be to use a 'tip-up' style and a rotating motor mount. Or remove the motor when raising the dinghy.

What are other 350/390 owners using for davits?

I have seen 2 350/390's with davits on the aft end of the flybridge. Dink rides high, keeps the platform clear. I have not seen how the dink deploys, but thought it was a pretty cool setup

:socool:

You might look at Jatco davits. Ours ("Trillogy") is side-loading, and I can pretty much bring ours (~260-lbs, including 15-hp outboard) aboard one-handed with the manual winch. They have options for beefing up various systems, cantilever mounts, etc.

-Chris

Have a 40 Ft Mainship and just put Kato Davits on and love them. Company is great, big help w the install and furnished a bunch of pictures w their gear on my model boat.

Did you go with the high or low Kato Davits on your Mainship 40? Other than the impact on center of gravity that putting the dinghy weight up high has, I really like the look of the high mount. Keeps the swim deck and cockpit area clear for fishing, visibility and access. Involves nearly the same equipment and effort to launch and retrieve. Securing for transit with straps at eye level seems far easier (for me) than at ankle level.

Sorry it took so long for me to get back. I used the Island Way davits and went w the low mount. Higher up u go the further out u have to push the dink to clear the swim platform. I considered the high mount but felt if my wife wanted to take the dink out she could handle the lower mount by herself easier. Kato as a company was great.

Back
Top Bottom