Cheap Sun Glasses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alfton

Boat Bum
Vessel Name
Traveling Star
Vessel Make
Pilgrim 40
I have always been a person to buy cheap sunglasses (under $20).* The guys at work contend that the $200+ they spend on sunglasses are worth every dollar for protection from the sun and visibility.* I find polarized sunglasses while work well with the sun makes it almost impossible to see some of my instruments.* What has been your experience and preference?

tilt your head and you will be able to read the screen.

you*prefer*cheap or expensive?

Alfton wrote:
you*prefer*cheap or expensive?
*I have found that Polarized sun glasses*with UV A&B blockers are the best for me around the water.* They don't have to be expensive, but polarizing cuts glare.* Larry is right about turning your head at an angle when the instrument screen blacks out.* They are sometimes polarized as well.* When* two polarized lenses are at 90 degrees to each other they will black out.* Wouldn't be without them, but they don't have to be expensive.

Alfton wrote:I have always been a person to buy cheap sunglasses (under $20).* The guys at work contend that the $200+ they spend on sunglasses are worth every dollar for protection from the sun and visibility.* I find polarized sunglasses while work well with the sun makes it almost impossible to see some of my instruments.* What has been your experience and preference?
*For me, the biggest obvious*difference between cheap and expensive sun glasses is the clarity followed by resistance to scratching and longevity.* I've found that Ray Ban aviator glasses (around $75) to be a good compromise (and value) between $200 glasses and Costco (around $23).* Cheaper sunglasses (including Costco) do not hold up as well.

Polarization is another issue.* It can't be beat for reducing glare, but at the expense of making it difficult to see through polarized windows and the ability to view LCD displays.* There have been times where I have switched between polarized/non-polarized in bright sun conditions, and I always end up wearing the polarized glasses, but needing to*work harder to view electronic equipment.

No perfect solution that I know of.*

I dislike sunglasses so wear them rarely.

The couple of times I've bought cheapo sunglasses ($1 - $2 a pair), they broke within several hours of purchase.

Next best thing is a good baseball cap with a large brim. Shades your eyes.

I'm with Mark rarely use sunglasses. Only when*snagging for salmon in the shallows.

weighted treble hook or cold hard steel as we call them. Polarized is just the thing.

SD*

I wear inexpensive polarized sunglasses. My sense is that the cheapest polarized glasses are a tick up from the bottom in any event. Because I tend to misplace them, they are usually lost before any significant scratching occurs.

I was wearing a pair of polarized sunglasses years ago while driving my Mazda, and I happened to tilt my head and the entire windshield went black. That is very scary at speed!

I wouldn't be without my shades, and they have to be polarized to be of much use.* Unfortunately, they are ungodly expensive because they have to be prescription for this half blind old man.

And a ball cap, too.* Finding ones with a long bill is the tricky part. But, man, do they make a difference.* Which is something the baggy pants, backwards ball cap kids haven't figured out yet.* I laugh every time I see one of them squinting and shading their eyes.*

Dude!* Turn your hat around.* That's what it's for!

-- Edited by BaltimoreLurker on Friday 7th of October 2011 11:31:12 AM

Sunglasses AND a baseball cap as my eyes are very sensitive to light.

GOOD sunglasses....I have used the same pair of optomitrist quality sunglasses for 20 years. Yes that's right, 20 years. Is that a record?

I have photo grey glasses of real glass and rarely need SG. When I do I use very cheap SG * ...the kind that slide behind my regular glasses and cost next to nothing. Sorta wrap-around style. I use them only when underway directly into the sun and then not very often. And our air is so clear up here bright sunlight is brighter than down south.

nomadwilly wrote:
I have photo grey glasses of real glass and rarely need SG. When I do I use very cheap SG * ...the kind that slide behind my regular glasses and cost next to nothing. Sorta wrap-around style. I use them only when underway directly into the sun and then not very often. And our air is so clear up here bright sunlight is brighter than down south.
*In the 60s I was travelling extensively on business in Florida.* A doctor told me to get some good UV protected polarized sunglasses and use them.* Otherwise, I would have cateracts from the sun damage.* I have had some at hand since, and used them.* My wife didn't see the need.* She had cateract surgery while I haven't.* Don't know if sunglasses are the difference, but wearing mine is second nature.

On the baseball caps, I love 'em.* However, my dermatologist has explained to me the difference between a hat and a cap several times.

Living in the sunny South i can see why sunglasses are not as important in the Northwest.

I wish I had a choice! Near sighted in one eye and far sighted with an astigmatism in the other means expensive sun glasses. Since I have to work on the water, Dark, polarized lenses. $369 Ocean Wave (blue
offshore lenses) do the trick. The only caveat is that I usually get 6-7 years out of them. Driving a car with them is sometimes a challenge because they are really dark.
I'm with Don on the baseball hats-love them but I have the pastey Irish white boy syndrome. Dermatologist wants me to wear something more protective. I recently bought a "tilley" hat. I have made fun of blowboaters in tilley hats since I was a young punk! ....Now I are one!(I'll probably start stealing the toilet paper from the marina heads like blowboaters too!).....

Disclaimer: Please don't take to seriously or be offended by these comments!

I always wear polarized sunglasses when I'm outdoors. In the Walmart fishing section they usually have*reasonably priced*($12-19) polarized glasses with reading lenses built in. They last ok and no big deal if you lose or break them.

The readers are great for the instruments, charts and tying fish hooks! I need the help seeing detail up close and these work great for the boat. I usually keep a few pair on board at that price. I believe they are labelled as Renegade.

Moonstruck wrote:* A doctor told me to get some good UV protected polarized sunglasses and use them.* Otherwise, I would have cateracts from the sun damage.*
*Had my cataracts removed some*13 - 15*years ago.* Now I don't need corrective lenses to drive legal (was previously near sighted).**Now I need $10-$20 reading glasses to type this now.*

Quality sunnies are a must.
I wear Spotters/glass amber lens. ( I think Spotters are an Aussie brand) But Mako, Maui Jim also good rep in the fishing industry.
Good on the water when traveling thru the reef and also when stalking bonefish on the flats.
I do have a couple of cheaper pairs on board with inbuilt reading lens (Bartz).
These are handy if you are constantly looking out and reading instruments, the lenses are not glass and they break down around the edges after a while.
The quality lenses don't break down and I suppose being at sea all the time they are part of my PPE (Personal Protective Equipment)

The old addage always applies you only get what you pay for.

Giggitoni wrote:
ZZ Top- 1980
*My first thought too. I usually pick up the polarized 3 for $20 or so at the boat show. That way I don't cry when I lose or sit on them.

In my experience, the lifespan of sunglasses is inversely proportional to how much you pay for them.

I wear prescription glasses...for driving and reading.... I used to buy prescription sun glasses.... but I decided to save about $450 and spend it on the boat instead... Now I have a couple of pairs of "clip ons" ....both are polarized....and if I lose them or ruin them....they can be replaced fairly cheaply.

Man I'm a freak about the sun, good glasses, big hat, long sleeves when I can bear it and lots of spf's. I don't understand folks who don't wear glasses. I guess its an ol' timer thing?

swampu wrote:
Man I'm a freak about the sun, good glasses, big hat, long sleeves when I can bear it and lots of spf's. I don't understand folks who don't wear glasses. I guess its an ol' timer thing?

I'm not a spring chicken by any means....but I'm not sure its an "ol' timer thing" as much as it is a "we who live in the south have been fried by the sunenough *that we have figured out that only a fool wears no protection against the sun".... *I don't use an spf of less than 46+, wear the long sleeves, and wear a hat, along with my shades...that are polarized...and I tend to stay in the shade as well.

I got a really bad burn when I was stationed at the ATC school there at Keesler in 68' on Easter weekend.... I was Army...and it was no fun wearing starched fatigues and wearing jump boots to school when you are fried and blistered. *Haven't repeated that mistake again....

I wear runner's sunglasses because they are designed for hanging on when you are sweating and bouncing around. Think they were $70 at a running store. I also just did a round of a new topical skin cancer therapy called Zyclara which causes your body's immune system to attack sun damaged cells. You do 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off and then 2 more weeks on. The second 2 weeks I was quite ill feeling (like I had a mild flu) and barely made it. But my wife says my facial skin looks light years better (pun intended). The strange thing to me is how my skin plain feels better which is a hard thing to explain.

JAT wrote:
I wear prescription glasses...for driving and reading.... I used to buy prescription sun glasses.... but I decided to save about $450 and spend it on the boat instead... Now I have a couple of pairs of "clip ons" ....both are polarized....and if I lose them or ruin them....they can be replaced fairly cheaply.
*Being a quack, and therefore all too aware of of the damage potetial of the sun, I always wear sunnies.* In fact I developed the habit when quite young and sustained an eye injury which left me photosensitive, so I hope that misdaventure will stand me in good stead in avoiding cataracts, even here in the bright Queensland sun.* However, I'm with JAT.* The prescriptiopn glasses with multifocal lenses are dear enough, so I buy them with the 'Transitional', self-tinting lenses, and then for conditions still a bit bright, wear cheap, flip-up type clip-ons for extra glare protection.* However, they do look a bit 'daggy' and I remember having a good laugh at myself, when number one son, while driving with me one day, said very seriously, "Dad, is one of the benefits of getting older that you no longer care how you look...like when you wear your sunnies flipped up...?"

Thanks for all the input on cheap sunglasses.* Looks like the group is pretty split except for those forced to wear prescription.* I am thinking of putting good sunglasses on my Christmas list.*
For those of you in the south exposed to heat and sun you might consider Columbias Blood and Guts Super Light long sleeve shirt.* I purchased mine early in the year and was able to stay covered up even in the record Texas heat.* I also hear a Henschel wide brim Breezer hat.*
http://www.henschelhats.com/breezer.php
and for now cheap sunglasses

If I may chime in... I refuse to wear cheap sunglasses. In the past 20 years, I don't think I have spent less than $100 on a pair of shades. Cheap-O's just don't last, they don't offer the same protection, and they have very poor optics. They scratch easily and distort the image around the outer edges and eyes tire after only just a few hours behind cheap polarization. I really try and do my homework on sunglasses, try on a lot of styles at a few stores, and find ones that really fit well. Been an Oakley fan for most of these years because of their fit and styling, but have since tried a pair of Maui Jim's and Revo's. I like both of them well enough, I suppose, but they really aren't as modern looking as I would like. The Revo's have great coverage and fabulous optics but get sweaty easily. The MJ's are good, but are a bit too grey in their tinting.

Sure, the downside is that if you lose them, you've lost a pile of cash, but to me, it is worth the risk. I used to lose expensive glasses a lot, but now have learned to be more aware of them and not put them at risk. I understand how hard it is to justify spending that much for shades, but once you get a pair, you'll understand. They ARE worth it. I'll never wear a cheap pair again (if I can at all help it).

Tom-

Maui Jim Sport glass with a neck starp so I don't drop the over the side or lose them. Expensive but worth it.

Use to wear cutting torch safety glasses with the side curtains. Green tint, ultimate UV protection, all plastic, and $12 a pair. Not exactly a fasion statement. Can't get them in presciption. So now its prescription bifocals sunglasses from walmart at $69 a pair.

Ted

O C Diver wrote:
Use to wear cutting torch safety glasses with the side curtains. Green tint, ultimate UV protection, all plastic, and $12 a pair. Not exactly a fasion statement.
*I dunno.* Sounds kinda cool, in a Road Warrior sort of way.*
biggrin.gif

Dswizzler wrote:
Maui Jim Sport glass with a neck starp so I don't drop the over the side or lose them. Expensive but worth it.
*I was waiting for someone to say this...* Mine have the springs in the hinges so they don't break as easily, and when they do I just send them back to Maui Jim and they put the lenses in brand new frames for FREE.* No questions asked other than how did you break them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom