Portlight Hinges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquabelle

Guru
I'm soon going to replace the rubber/neoprene gaskets on all 16 of the portlights on my 1985 Ocean Alexander. (No brand is stamped on the ports, but I think they are Perko or Perko copies: a couple of photos attached. If anyone can confirm the portlight manufacturer from these photos, I'd be grateful for the info. The glazed opening light itself is 16.5" x 8").

To fit the new gaskets, I want to release the hinges so I can remove and work easily on the 'light' itself....but I am not sure how to do this. The hinges appear to be pinned via a rolled and split metal sleeve: a couple of close-ups are attached. I'm guessing these have to be tapped out gently....but hopefully someone who has done this themselves will recognize and advise.

No pictures sent, but your split roll pin can be tapped out with a punch slightly smaller than the pin.

Hence, “pin punch.” They are designed for exactly that purpose.

Missing photos now attached ( I hope)...

Attachments

• Portlight CLOSED.jpg
    Portlight CLOSED.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Portlight OPEN.jpg
    Portlight OPEN.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Hinge 1.jpg
    Hinge 1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Hinge 2.jpg
    Hinge 2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 44
Lepke & xsBank: thanks for the explanation: one more dumb question....are the pins re-usable once punched out or are they a single-use item?

thanks again

You should be able to use them again as long as you don't mushroom them. That's where an actual pin punch comes in to play. If not they can be found in just about any hardware store, just make sure you get stainless steel. Also your ports may be Bomar.

No real reason to dismount the cover.

Simply pull out the old seal, use a chisel to scrape any remains or dried goop and then put a thin film of gasket goop on the bottom edge and push in the new seal.

DO NOT stretch the seal as you push it in , try to compress it on it self , as stretched will eventually go back to starting length and show a gap.

The proper replacement rubber will be HOLLOW , source has been posted in the past.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom