ICW- Your Best Tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep, the weather gods frown on tight boat schedules. Especially in feb when fronts are marching through.

Might get lucky, but have a backup plan if things get snotty.

My bud took a 47 from NC to SFL on a schedule last week. Got beat up.

I took a 58 on same trip in Oct and got beat up.

Back up plan is key.

Anyone have any thoughts on this trip?

Yea.. The truth will hurt here... DON’T TRY IT!... Boats and schedules don’t mix. If you try to plan a long trip like this on a schedule, you will never make it, you will make it an unsafe journey, and probably destroy the boat in the process. Hire someone or plan it to take twice as long.

Scope out a couple places to bail with nearby airports if you get boxed up. Here is a few:
Marina Jacks, Sarasota - Sarasota Bradenton airport nearby
City of Ft Myers Yacht Basin -Southwest Regional (RSW) airport nearby
Sunset Bay Marina - Stuart - West Palm Beach airport about 25 miles.
Halifax Harbor Marina, Daytona Beach - Daytona Beach International

The second worse than the weather this time of year is the short daylight. Sunrise to sunset plus 1/2 hour on each end is pushing it to the max. Today is a little over 10 hours of light.

Last edited:
Can you please elaborate on the weather. What would be safe limits? If weather is not good, how much of a setback is it going to be to stay on the intracoastal from from Carrabelle all the way to Tarpon Springs?

You don't specify the size of the boat, but most of this will apply regardless.

A lot of the weather patterns during the winter have a southern component . Waves have a long way to travel up the Gulf of Mexico. As a result, the waves can come from hundreds of miles away. These waves / large swells give you a beam sea. If there is another weather pattern with winds from the North or East, you end up with a confused sea ( waves from 2 or more directions ). When the wave crests meet at your bow, the waves are much bigger. Doing this crossing in a confused sea is referred to as the washing machine as you get bounced around by waves from different directions. While cruising through these conditions can be done, you would need a very large boat to maintain 20+ knots, and the fatigue factor for 7 hours would be horrific.

Generally the weather window requires a number of days without winds from SE, S, or SW to let the seas calm down and 36 hours without significant winds from the NE or E.

As already mentioned, there is no GICW from Carrabelle to Tarpon Springs. Most Loopers wait at Carrabelle or Panama city for the window. Determining safe weather is very dependent on boat and crew. As you will be 75+ miles from land and the weather has been known to deteriorate, a forecast of 2' seas is the limit for many Loopers.

Ted

what kind of boat?

be careful when in Florida to read the sinage closely for slow speed zones. They come and go enough to drive you crazy.
Very intelligent manatees we have down here to read those signs! :D

There is no intracoastal from Carrabelle to Tarpon Springs. You can hug the coast but you will be dealing with skinny water, bars, and crabpots. Not sure what changes Irma has made but Steinhatchee, Cedar Key and Crystal River used to be places you could duck in and spend a night. It is a challenging trip at this time of year and waiting 2-3 weeks or more for a weather window is not uncommon.

Given your lack of knowledge of the route, it might be best to hire a delivery captain to do the whole trip.

I guess I was too focused on the TX to NOLA part, hadn't charted the rest of the route yet except for a quick mileage estimate. Didn't know there were so many locks I'd have to pass through to get to NOLA. Anyone know if these are open 24x7 or have limited hours? The USACE web page for Louisiana locks seems to be malfunctioning and I can't find any other information online.

A schedule adds a layer of complexity to almost all boat trips.

A tight schedule and a long distance adds another order of magnitude of complexity.

A tight schedule for a long-distance trip on a new-to-you boat, new-to-you route, whatever speed zones you might encounter... would be a bridge way too far, for me.

The delivery captain idea might be worth some additional exploring, even for parts of the trip you can make at a manageable pace. Cap'n could then carry on even when you have to leave.

Or... maybe break the delivery into separate legs. Take the boat part way, stop, go home, return for the later leg(s) later.

??

-Chris

I know its aggressive. As long as I can get the boat to Florida I suppose I can fly down for a long weekend to get it to JAX. The alternative is trusting a delivery captain with my new girl or having her trucked across to the east coast of florida at a cost of probably 2x+ what it would cost me to do myself via water. I still have 1,000 miles from JAX to the North East. 2,500 miles to cover...

Yep, the weather gods frown on tight boat schedules. Especially in feb when fronts are marching through.

Might get lucky, but have a backup plan if things get snotty.

My bud took a 47 from NC to SFL on a schedule last week. Got beat up.

I took a 58 on same trip in Oct and got beat up.

Back up plan is key.

I am curious what beat up means? I don't need the smoothest ride but don't want a broken neck either..

Scope out a couple places to bail with nearby airports if you get boxed up. Here is a few:
Marina Jacks, Sarasota - Sarasota Bradenton airport nearby
City of Ft Myers Yacht Basin -Southwest Regional (RSW) airport nearby
Sunset Bay Marina - Stuart - West Palm Beach airport about 25 miles.
Halifax Harbor Marina, Daytona Beach - Daytona Beach International

The second worse than the weather this time of year is the short daylight. Sunrise to sunset plus 1/2 hour on each end is pushing it to the max. Today is a little over 10 hours of light.

Yes, I was thinking of not booking my return flight until I make it to FL and have a better sense as to how things are going.

Day light should be 11 hours in February plus the 30 mins on either end gives me 12 hours. I was going to aim for a max of 10 hours per day of running time but 2 hours contingency.

You don't specify the size of the boat, but most of this will apply regardless.

A lot of the weather patterns during the winter have a southern component . Waves have a long way to travel up the Gulf of Mexico. As a result, the waves can come from hundreds of miles away. These waves / large swells give you a beam sea. If there is another weather pattern with winds from the North or East, you end up with a confused sea ( waves from 2 or more directions ). When the wave crests meet at your bow, the waves are much bigger. Doing this crossing in a confused sea is referred to as the washing machine as you get bounced around by waves from different directions. While cruising through these conditions can be done, you would need a very large boat to maintain 20+ knots, and the fatigue factor for 7 hours would be horrific.

Generally the weather window requires a number of days without winds from SE, S, or SW to let the seas calm down and 36 hours without significant winds from the NE or E.

As already mentioned, there is no GICW from Carrabelle to Tarpon Springs. Most Loopers wait at Carrabelle or Panama city for the window. Determining safe weather is very dependent on boat and crew. As you will be 75+ miles from land and the weather has been known to deteriorate, a forecast of 2' seas is the limit for many Loopers.

Ted

45'

I chatted with a couple delivery captains and they both brushed off weather in mid-to-late February saying its worse now and will be OK then. I don't know if that was them just trying to close the deal. I agree, beam sea the whole trip, plus confused waves, will not be pleasant at all.

What speed wind is tolerable? Is there a good buoy or weather site to help me plan for this crossing?

Thank you all for the input!

Locks are usually only open during business hours or a little later. They're not usually open more than dawn to dusk in a lot of areas. I may be wrong about those down there.

Beat up means really rough seas. Getting injured in rough seas depends on how well your balance is and how good you stow everything aboard the boat. Loose items flying about the boat can be very dangerous.

Wind speed isn't always the problem. It's wind against the current that can be rough. Direction is really more of an issue. Wind against a current can build big waves that come at you quick. Nothing more unnerving than being caught in the trough between waves. I have only been there once. I wasn't the cap'n and damn glad I wasn't.

45'

I chatted with a couple delivery captains and they both brushed off weather in mid-to-late February saying its worse now and will be OK then. I don't know if that was them just trying to close the deal. I agree, beam sea the whole trip, plus confused waves, will not be pleasant at all.

What speed wind is tolerable? Is there a good buoy or weather site to help me plan for this crossing?

Thank you all for the input!

Most delivery captains have a day rate whether they're sitting at the dock or underway. Nothing parties like a rental. There's no incentive for them to go as they get paid for every day. If they beat your boat up....well it's not theirs. They are correct that you will see some ok days in February....maybe 5 to 8 days.

It's less about the wind speed, and more about direction and wave height. Unfortunately there are no offshore weather buoys along the path. The AGLCA has a weather guesser that is pretty good forecasting the windows 3 to 4 days in advance. Unfortunately, I think he stops at the end of January. When I did it in the end of October, I used the AGLCA guy plus Intellicast's wind maps. We had gale force winds from the North for 2 days before the crossing. The wind and the waves knock down any waves from the South. Since you're so close to the North coast of the gulf, the waves fell out very quickly. Came out of Panama city with 4' swells from the North. By the time I reached Cape St. George the swells were less than 2' every 10 seconds. My crossing took over 24 hours with almost no wind except for the last 6 hours, East 10 to 15 knots.

Ted

Worryingly you are already pushing both ends of daylight, so no resilience in the plan. And it`s a "new to you" boat on a long delivery voyage. Local weather advice is for others. Best reconsider. A Captain is a good idea. Or breaking it into sections.

Locks between Houston/New Orleans are open 24/7 except when closed for maintenance and that is published well in advance.

Galveston to New Orleans via open water in your boat is 48 hours. Plenty fuel stops on the way if you wish. Most amateurs go inland though along the ICW. Doesn’t matter how fast your boat goes, you will still average less than 8 knots along the may. Most non commercial drivers operate daylight only in the ICW. Give yourself a week. Neither route is a lot of fun in winter.

Typical weather pattern in January through end of March is a cold front about every four days. One day strong southerly winds, one day strong northerly winds, two days light winds. Repeat. Sometimes they stretch out some but don’t count on it.

Contact me if you wish by PM for real time free advice, I have done this many times.

I know its aggressive. As long as I can get the boat to Florida I suppose I can fly down for a long weekend to get it to JAX. The alternative is trusting a delivery captain with my new girl or having her trucked across to the east coast of florida at a cost of probably 2x+ what it would cost me to do myself via water. I still have 1,000 miles from JAX to the North East. 2,500 miles to cover...

Where's your real end point? What kind of job flexibility do you have? Could you go on a reduced work schedule from time to time, and use periodic "long weekends" to move the boat a little at a time?

That could at least give you some enjoyable trips, compared to a hard slog.

FWIW, if I were doing a delivery with my normal crew, my quote would still be in the neighborhood of generally no more than 50 miles per day on a planing hull boat... with weather layovers as required. I'm not beating up my crew, nor am I beating up someone's boat, and also that allows for some unplanned morning and afternoon maintenance, fuel stops (and pump-out stops when inshore), etc.

My point here is that you can find delivery captains who will take care of your ride.

-Chris

Locks between Houston/New Orleans are open 24/7 except when closed for maintenance and that is published well in advance.

Galveston to New Orleans via open water in your boat is 48 hours. Plenty fuel stops on the way if you wish. Most amateurs go inland though along the ICW. Doesn’t matter how fast your boat goes, you will still average less than 8 knots along the may. Most non commercial drivers operate daylight only in the ICW. Give yourself a week. Neither route is a lot of fun in winter.

Typical weather pattern in January through end of March is a cold front about every four days. One day strong southerly winds, one day strong northerly winds, two days light winds. Repeat. Sometimes they stretch out some but don’t count on it.

Contact me if you wish by PM for real time free advice, I have done this many times.

Thank you for the lock information.

What limits me to 8 knots?

This all is making me think I should just have the windshield and console removed and get the boat on a truck across to Florida...

Where's your real end point? What kind of job flexibility do you have? Could you go on a reduced work schedule from time to time, and use periodic "long weekends" to move the boat a little at a time?

That could at least give you some enjoyable trips, compared to a hard slog.

FWIW, if I were doing a delivery with my normal crew, my quote would still be in the neighborhood of generally no more than 50 miles per day on a planing hull boat... with weather layovers as required. I'm not beating up my crew, nor am I beating up someone's boat, and also that allows for some unplanned morning and afternoon maintenance, fuel stops (and pump-out stops when inshore), etc.

My point here is that you can find delivery captains who will take care of your ride.

-Chris

Probably RI area, at least for now. I have 5-6 weeks of vacation time for 2018 but rather use most of it in summer when I can be relaxed and enjoy the boat. Was budgeting a bit over a week for the first leg from TX to FL and another week for FL up North.

50 miles per day sounds on the very low end... that would make it a 30 day trip just from TX to FL...

50 miles per day sounds on the very low end... that would make it a 30 day trip just from TX to FL...

Yep...

But I like to smell some coffee along the way...

And every time I don't budget fix-it time, something needs fixing.

I've been known to beat my estimates, though... so if a day still feels good, the machine is working properly, and caprice takes a fancy... I've been known to arrive sooner than scheduled.

-Chris

Going to be making a trip from Galveston bay Texas to Jacksonville FL/Jekyll Island GA in February before heading North in April.

My buddy who I've been boating with since we were kids is going to join but he cannot make the first few days. I am thinking of hiring a captain to help me navigate to New Orleans where my friend will meet me.

I am hoping to set out at the crack of dawn on Friday AM with a goal to make it to NOLA Saturday by sunset or Sunday by Noon. I don't know if that is realistic? What worries me is the limited fuel and dock options between Galveston and NOLA. Depending when we arrive in NOLA, we will either set out for Florida Sunday or crack of dawn Monday (I am thinking as long as we arrive Saturday PM or before noon Sunday we will press on-ward on Sunday).

I am hoping to be able to make it to Jacksonville by the following Sunday. Again, don't know if that is realistic? That would leave 10 days for the ~1,500 mile journey. We will cross Lake Okeechobee.

I am concerned about no wake zones along the way but hear they don't get bad until Florida and also concerned that some of the hurricanes may have moved the bottom around.

I am going to target a cruise of 20-23 mph where possible which is a fuel burn of 20-25gph.

Anyone have any thoughts on this trip?

Thank you!

10 days, 1,500 miles would be way too ambitious for me. I'd probably (at least) double the time allowance.

I've made it from NC to Key West single handed on my 38 doing 20-22kts offshore. Took three days in decent sea conditions. I think it is around 700nm under the bottom.

Don't freak out, it is possible to make good time. Just do your best to time the weather and have a backup plan if it gets snotty.

I have run a ST44 with D4's and I think running 20kts is pushing it pretty hard. If I remember right, it felt pretty good at 16-18kts.

10 days, 1,500 miles would be way too ambitious for me. I'd probably (at least) double the time allowance.
1500 miles divded by 10 days equals 150 miles per day to get there. That's gonna be a hell of a ride. :rofl:

We have done Ft. Myers to Baltimore and the reverse several times in approximately 22 running days. Usually there are 6-8 lay days due to weather, tides in GA or SC and other surprises (bridges stuck in the down position, broken coupler, alternator controller, etc).

You have 5 locks for crossing Florida via Lake O. Are you planning to run up the coast on the outside? On the way south, we were with a pile of boats in Southport who were waiting to go around Hatteras in less than 8' seas.

What is your air and water draft?

When we bought our boat in Florida and wanted to get it moved north, we moved it for 10 days, flew home and worked for a month, and then moved it again for 10 days or so, etc.

We have done Ft. Myers to Baltimore and the reverse several times in approximately 22 running days. Usually there are 6-8 lay days due to weather, tides in GA or SC and other surprises (bridges stuck in the down position, broken coupler, alternator controller, etc).

You have 5 locks for crossing Florida via Lake O. Are you planning to run up the coast on the outside? On the way south, we were with a pile of boats in Southport who were waiting to go around Hatteras in less than 8' seas.

What is your air and water draft?

When we bought our boat in Florida and wanted to get it moved north, we moved it for 10 days, flew home and worked for a month, and then moved it again for 10 days or so, etc.

There are 5 locks in Florida? Wow. Guess I need to plot that next. Any idea if the Florida locks operate 24x7 like the Louisiana locks?

Air draft is 25' with the mast up, 13' with it down. Water draft 4'.

So my new plan may be to try to do the Texas to NOLA leg in a couple weeks. I'd only have three days though. Then that would give me an extra couple days for the NOLA to FL leg.

There are 5 locks in Florida? Wow. Guess I need to plot that next. Any idea if the Florida locks operate 24x7 like the Louisiana locks?

Air draft is 25' with the mast up, 13' with it down. Water draft 4'.

The lock hours are 0700-1700 hours, 365 days a year.

If you’re looking a place to possibly leave the boat in case you can’t make your schedule, you should be calling now to see what’s available for planning. With the Irma damage down south, the West Coast of Florida is packed and empty slips are in short supply.

There may be some morings open. Even those are getting hard to find from what I have read elsewhere.

The lock hours are 0700-1700 hours, 365 days a year.

...and you have to be in the locking process 1/2 hour prior to 5PM.:facepalm:
Guessing an overtime pay issue.

Last edited:
There are mooring fields in St Petersburg, Sarasota, Fort Myers Beach and there maybe be others. All well run for the most part.

I have done Tampa to New Hampshire a few times, I plan on 40 to 60 miles a day and not everyday. Food, sleep, a walk on dry land and Weather. The ICW from on this route is more no wake than high speed. Here is a link on Lake O’s locks Jacksonville District Navigation Locks

Thank you for the lock information.

What limits me to 8 knots?

This all is making me think I should just have the windshield and console removed and get the boat on a truck across to Florida...

Traffic, no wake zones, bridges and locks all take a toll on your average speed. When I was young and naive I once thought I would take a 25knot capable boat from Morgan City to
Galveston on the ICW in a day and a half. Four days later I rolled in to the marina with my tail between my legs.

Back
Top Bottom