Old 12-30-2017, 07:42 AM   #12
ranger58sb
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerohero View Post
Question: Bayview you mentioned no teak decks or wooden windows. The boat I'm looking at has both... Reading up on it I understand that the issue is potential rot below the teak. To you is teak a deal breaker or not? Will the survey reveal if there is an issue of concern?

The boat I'm looking at it already in Central America so that makes things easier in some ways. It's a 70's GB woodie...I'm imagining groans and gasps now as many I have read speak of higher maintenance and problems on wood boats. That said from what I can tell so far it seems to be well maintained (300k+ spent on complete refit in 2004) and 2013 survey gives it a good report. Seller is motivated given change of life situation, so I should be able to get a good price. I don't want to pass this up unless I have good reasons (issues with boat) as it checks all the boxes for us (size, layout, price, location).

That's ONE issue about teak decks. The other is simply the usual amount of annual maintenance... which you've mentioned.

Which leads to thoughts about an all-wood boat, and the maintenance required. There's not really any amount of "good price" that will make that maintenance go away.

Whether that's a "good reason" or not depends on you, your willingness to do (or pay to have done) all that maintenance, your ability to do it all if you DIY, etc.

For me, a wood boat (these days) is for a person who loves wood.

For folks who love boating, a wood boat may or may not be viable. Maintenance is of course an integral part of boating, but if maintenance time begins eating into float time too much... that's beginning to become a step backwards.

This question is best solved before and during your shopping stage. After-the-fact, you've got what you bought.

BTW, you might have a look at that Chris Craft link in the "seeking advice" thread. Not really a "trawler" like you probably had in mind (i.e., it doesn't look like a GB) but it does apparently have many viable features... so might give you an idea about how to evaluate boats against your own list of preferred features.

-Chris