Canadian Customs Requirements Relaxed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I saw this in the January 2018 Sea Magazine:

Customs requirements Relaxed
The Canadian government has relaxed the rules for US boaters crossing the Canadian border by water. 233), which received Royal Assent in June, changes the requirement for when boaters have to report to Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) officers. Instead of calling Canadian Customs to report in as soon as they arrive in Canadian waters, US boaters need only report to customs when they anchor or arrive on Canadian shores. A day outing that involves no anchoring or “contact with a conveyance” can be conducted without a customs check -in. Canadian boaters still have to report to US Customs, as there is no reciprocity yet.

But I looked it up on the Canadian Customs web site, the above does not seem to match. Above would lead me to believe that so long as you don't anchor or go ashore you do NOT have to report into CBSA. But when you read below from the CBSA site (I have highlighted it) it would appear you still have to CALL in, you just don't have to report to a telephone call in site.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/ae-ve/2017/tpm-tvmm-eng.html?wbdisable=true#a2
1.2. Program Description and Objectives

Private Boat Processing
All travellers arriving in Canadian waters by private vessel must self-report to the CBSA. The owner/operator of the vessel is required to proceed to one of 428 Telephone Reporting Sites/Marine (TRS/M)Footnote 5 and contact the Telephone Reporting Centre (TRC)Footnote 6 to report their entry into Canada. Only private boats carrying 29 people or less can report through the TRC.Footnote 7 Alternatively, private boaters may report in-person at one of ten Direct Reporting Sites (Marine), which are CBSA-staffed marine ports of entry (POEs).
If certain conditions are met, private boaters may also be able to report directly from the water to the TRC. For instance, travellers arriving from the United States by private boat may report directly from the water upon entering Canadian waters if they do not intend to land on Canadian soil nor leave any people or goods in Canada. Canadian private boaters may also report directly from the water when returning to Canadian waters if they have not landed on U.S. soil and have not taken on any people or goods while in foreign waters.
Regardless of the method used to self-report, the owner/operator of the boat is required to provide all crew and passengers’ names, dates of birth, citizenship and residency, and declare all goods being imported to Canada. The TRC officer records the information in the Telephone Reporting Centre System (TRCS) and then makes a decision whether to release the vessels and all travellers or refer for a secondary examination.
Boaters enrolled in Trusted Traveller programs (e.g. NEXUS) have access to 22 additional designated reporting sites and advance notification privileges not available to other private boaters.
Once a private boater has been referred for secondary examination, a marine verification team may be tasked from the responsible POE to the TRS/M where the private boat is docked to conduct their examination of the passengers and/or vessel, as required

Last edited by a moderator:
I dream of a day where cruising in the middle of a river between north and south would not require anything more than saying hello to each other. In the 1000 islands are people so different each side of the border?
L

A few years ago, I was cruising on the Detroit River near Detroit. As long as you did not actually touch Canadian soil you could enter Canadian waters without issue. The border is basically the middle of the river. However, if you did cruise very close to the Canadian bank, you could expect to be closely watched by Canadian customs (though they would leave you alone if you didn't do anything they didn't want you to).

I got into more trouble there from US authorities. It took a couple of turns around this one park trying to find the road to the boat ramp (the park road was one way). After going around a couple of times, I got stopped and asked about what I was up to. Apparently failing to find a poorly marked road to the boat ramp was suspicious.

Yes, but is the Sea Magazine in error?

I don't get it. Fishing boats have been transiting from Washington to Alaska forever and as long as they don't dock or anchor nothing has been required by CBSA.

I believe commercial boats have always reported in by radio even if they were only transiting.

Wifey B: Ok, you don't have to report in Canada if you're just cruising around but I bet you still need to report in the US when you return and then aren't you reporting that you're returning from somewhere you never went? :ermm:

Wifey B: Ok, you don't have to report in Canada if you're just cruising around but I bet you still need to report in the US when you return and then aren't you reporting that you're returning from somewhere you never went? :ermm:

wish it were that easy coming back here in the US. I got in a huge row up in Friday Harbor for being late calling in. Culminated with some officers tramping around my boat and taking stuff they thought was not allowed. My wife drew the line when one of the guys walked off the boat carrying a potted plant. My wife asked why. The response was something along the lines about no plants being allowed across from Canada. He finally gave it back when she pointed out that it was a plastic plant. Didn't help that the customs guy's name was
"officer Swindler"
:):):)

Coming down to Roche Harbour for the Puget Sound GB Rendezvous, we were rousted by US Customs, seemed that my bag of dog food, clearly marked Product of USA and my oranges, all stamped "Florida" were confiscated because the bag was open and I might have substituted some Canadian kibble and hand-stamped the oranges (I asked the officer where in Canada did oranges grow and he didn't know - neither do I) so both sides can be totally lacking in common sense.

For some reason it made a difference to Customs in Ketchikan whether or not I had been ashore in Canada while passing through. It took six days to transit through, but he only questioned whether or not I had been ashore...

I did stop in Alert Bay for beer, so of course Visa cut off my card for suspicious activity by the time I had hit Ketchikan :)

Checking through Friday Harbor going North was a phone call, no visit from the inspectors.

I don't get it. Fishing boats have been transiting from Washington to Alaska forever and as long as they don't dock or anchor nothing has been required by CBSA.

They are required to get a transient permit via VHF.

I also have a Nexus, but we also review the do's and don't what I can have onboard such as citrus. Not allowed. Review these before you take your trip and no worries. Follow the rules.........

I have never been there yet but ll these stories about borders make me think that cruising in area like thousands islands may be a bit of a situation as the border is right in the middle. Let say I depart for a cruise from canada, cross the border south, I need to call US CBP with my nexus number to mention I crossed the border, few hour later I cross back, I need to call CBSA to say hey I am back. What if I decide to spend one night at the anchor on the US side without going aground? Should call in for this? I never crossed the border yet so I am a bit wondering what should be done and when.

L

I have never been there yet but ll these stories about borders make me think that cruising in area like thousands islands may be a bit of a situation as the border is right in the middle. Let say I depart for a cruise from canada, cross the border south, I need to call US CBP with my nexus number to mention I crossed the border, few hour later I cross back, I need to call CBSA to say hey I am back. What if I decide to spend one night at the anchor on the US side without going aground? Should call in for this? I never crossed the border yet so I am a bit wondering what should be done and when.

L

First time, it seems like a bit much, but then you get used to it and it's second nature. You learn where and when and what's easiest and works best and it's just second nature. Same situation as in the PNW, also on the Great Lakes and all but one of them is shared by both countries. In our area, we have to do it just running to the islands off shore, the Bahamas.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom