What is this trawler ? (photo)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dune

Vessel Make
Viking 65 CP MY (run at trawler speeds !)
Looks a bit like 43 to 48 Tollycraft, but slightly different...what is it ?

171233d1463165755-test-trawler-pix-img_0948.jpg

Mainship 43

Mainship 43
Interesting... I would not have guessed Mainship as it looked higher quality...at least from a distance....suppose the hardtop and expensive dingy lift helped in that respect. Regardless I was impressed with the overall exterior appearance.

Last edited:
Maybe C&C CML 37

Extremely well built (don't say that often) . Beautifully laid out systems and engine access make any maintenance a charm unfortunately it ploughs like a bulldozer and is not fuel efficient at all.

Last edited:
Dune,
Not been nuts about all of Mainships hull designs but I didn't know they were lower quality.
In what way are the lower quality?

Mainship is correct. It's true that their quality has been uneven at times, but overall it has improved a lot since the late 1970s.

Boatpoker, It's probably not as fuel efficient as yours, but we've been averaging less than 4.5 GPH at 8.5 knots. That's with twin Yanmar 370's. Of course any faster and all bets are off. Regarding the boat in question, that is a custom hardtop.

She looks good with that hardtop.

She looks good with that hardtop.
Yes...shame the transom name and hailing port is hidden behind the dinghy (is that legal from a coast guard perspective ? )

porman; said:
Regarding the boat in question, that is a custom hardtop.
porman, if you have galley down, is there a post in the salon, port side and what is it's purpose?

Last edited by a moderator:
Boatpoker, It's probably not as fuel efficient as yours, but we've been averaging less than 4.5 GPH at 8.5 knots. That's with twin Yanmar 370's. Of course any faster and all bets are off. Regarding the boat in question, that is a custom hardtop.

I thought it was a CML 37, thats what I was referring to when I said it was not fuel efficient.

porman, if you have galley down, is there a post in the salon, port side and what is it's purpose?

Yes. ours is the galley down, two stateroom version. We have the post. It doesn't appear to be structural. It has two reading lights and a two cup holder wood piece attached.

I thought it was a CML 37, thats what I was referring to when I said it was not fuel efficient.

Sorry, missed that. But I bet you still get better fuel mileage than we do at any speed.

Yes. ours is the galley down, two stateroom version. We have the post. It doesn't appear to be structural. It has two reading lights and a two cup holder wood piece attached.
Not a chase to the bridge?
The sedan has it too except it is built into the cabinetry.

Attachments

• 5648085_20160226120622032_1_XLARGE.jpg
    5648085_20160226120622032_1_XLARGE.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Not a chase to the bridge?
The sedan has it too except it is built into the cabinetry.

No, not a chase. The main chase is located behind the trim between the small window and the large window on the stbd side. The port trim has a couple small wires and the hose from the propane locker. The trims just pop out by pulling on them.

No, not a chase. The main chase is located behind the trim between the small window and the large window on the stbd side. The port trim has a couple small wires and the hose from the propane locker. The trims just pop out by pulling on them.
Does that post get in the way?
I guess it would leave craters top and bottom if it was taken out?

Does that post get in the way?
I guess it would leave craters top and bottom if it was taken out?

It's not really in the way. We have two chairs with a set of nesting tables on that side and a couch on the other side. There is no dinette in the boat so the salon is wide open. The only problem is fitting carpets around it without having an expensive custom carpet made.

Interior of Beach Music, decorated for Christmas cruise.

Attachments

• 20171203_150751.jpg
    20171203_150751.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 132
Interesting... I would not have guessed Mainship as it looked higher quality...at least from a distance....suppose the hardtop and expensive dingy lift helped in that respect. Regardless I was impressed with the overall exterior appearance.

Those are fighting words! To all the Mainship owners, he didn't mean it. Think happy thoughts! Lol

We have had our 2005 Mainship 430 aft cabin trawler for two summers and love it. It has the Yanmar 370 twins and we are very pleased with the performance on the NY Canal system, Hudson River and Long Island Sound.

I'm interested to see how others have accommodated their dink davits.

Also, I'm also interested to learn of other 'quality' issues with this model - so we can prepare for contingencies.

Thanks all,

JimL

jimL, We'll be at the boat this weekend and I'll take a couple pictures of the dinghy davit.

Thanks, I'd really appreciate that.

Happy New Year!

Jim

Davit pictures for jimL. This is a modified Roskelley Olsson davit. Yes, I know you can't see the name on the transom. The name is also on both sides of the flybridge.

Attachments

• davit 1.jpg
    davit 1.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 79
  • davit 3.jpg
    davit 3.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 82
  • davit 4.jpg
    davit 4.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 78
That is an interesting set up. Do you know how much the boat and motor weigh? I had to have my swim platform rebuilt last winter because the PO did not seal the small davit system and the coring (wood) turned to mush, froze and delamated the fiberglass ($6k). I'm not sure the swim platform can take the weight of the davits, boat and motor without causing damage. I would want to mount the davit system closer to the transom, putting less stress on the swim platform. Do you know if the davit supports are located on the struts that support the swim platform?

Thanks for sharing the pics. The boat looks sharp!

JimL

First a disclaimer. Sam Olsson is a friend of mine. The dinghy and motor weigh about 850 lbs. The davit is older than the boat and was on it when we bought it. It's an early Roskelley Olsson model. Sometime in the past a drain hole in one of the tubes was plugged and water got inside. When the water froze it expanded the tube. Sam saw that and told me he would rebuild it for me. At the same time we made a change to the design so I could move between the davit and transom. I also discarded the weak supports under the platform (not the factory supports, these were under the davit) and replaced them with a triangulated 1 1/2 inch square tube structure on each side. I removed the swing down swim ladder from the port side because it couldn't be used with the dinghy up. I installed an under platform ladder on the other side. We've had the boat 3 1/2 years now and are very happy with it. Last summer I installed a Webasto hydronic heating system and this winter it's been nice and toasty inside. Hope you're staying warm in NY.

Back
Top Bottom