How many have documented vessels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How many documented vessels do you own

• I have 2 or more documented vessels

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • I have 1 documented vessel

Votes: 102 83.6%
  • None of my boats are documented

Votes: 14 11.5%

• Total voters

BandB

Guru
In another thread, this question was asked so thought this might be a way to find out.

My vessel is documented. I have been trying to figure out if I should leave it documented or not. I don’t have a loan so the choice is mine. Canada doesn’t care if i’m Documented, I don’t know how Mexico feels about USA boats not being documented. It’s much harder to file a lien with the state of WA than with the coast guard. You don’t have to pay $26 each year if you are undocumented.

We are not and see no reason to be.
We’re state registered and that’s enough of government aboard our boat.

Last edited:
Definition of insanity is two or more documented vessels that require pilings around them.
:nonono: I have 2.

Ted

Last edited:
Documented

Last two vessels have been documented.

Mine was USCG documented when I bought it. Being Australian meant that I needed to cancel that documentation, and the resulting certificate was necessary to obtain Australian national registration (documentation). This is quite a formal process, and becomes in effect a certificate of title for the boat. Necessary for any boat out of or leaving Australian waters. It's a once-only fee, there are no annual fees. But, State registration where you live is mandatory, and there is a hefty annual fee for that in some States, including Queensland.

Yes, hadn't thought but all non-US boats will be polled as documented in that is all most countries have.

Our boats are documented, even the ones that don't need it. It's cheap and it might or might not ever be of benefit.

If what you call documented is registered with federal authorities, we do. Up here we call this a blue book as the vessel has her blue passport.

L

Yes, and several past boats were as well.

The past 3 boats I owned have all been documented.. This one we bought in June 2017 is not. Originally when new the boat was documented but the second owner did not keep the documentation. As owner number 3 we will probably not renew it either. J

My sailboat was documented and I kept it documented while I owned it. My current boat was documented when I bought it and I kept it documented. It was beneficial as it was cheaper in the long run for documentation but now it cost more then state registration. Only real benefit now is I don't have to have state numbers on the bow so I can satiate my vanity somewhat :lol:

A documented vessel is like a piece of the US. If necessary the state department can get involved and the US military can come and get you and your vessel. A state registered vessel is like a car, a legal problem and the government only worries about the US citizens, not the vessel.
A long time ago, when I was in the navy, we recovered a US vessel and crew taken by pirates. When the local government was unwilling or unable to get the boat and crew released, the Marines went in, killed all the pirates and got the boat and crew out.

Bought it documented just to avoid the state knucklheads. Then they changed the state regs - more $ - now I am required to state register but "hide" the state registration. Government guys doing government stuff.

We are.

Yes, hadn't thought but all non-US boats will be polled as documented in that is all most countries have.

Our boats are documented, even the ones that don't need it. It's cheap and it might or might not ever be of benefit.

Here in Canada there is a choice. Registration through the Canadian Ship Registry (I have always done this) or Licensed in the Province. The processes and results are similar to the US Documentation = Registration.

Registration requires paying a fee, Changing a Registered name, another fee. Your name will be unique throughout Canada among Registered Vessels. A Mortgage may be Registered against a Registered Vessel, like on a parcel of land.

Licensing is free. Once licensed the vessel must display its number, ie BC1234567. There are no rules for names of licensed vessels, so there can be dozens who choose to call their boats by the same name. Someone may even duplicate a Registered Vessel's name on a Licensed Vessel.
There is no searchable Registry of Licensed Vessels. There is no way to Register a Mortgage on a Licensed Vessel.

All Canadian Provinces may issue Vessel Licenses, or boaters there may choose Registration.

Pleasure craft registrations in three different states... After many decades... 8 boats later...

No problem. See no reason to change procedure - at least, not at this time!

:speed boat: :D

If what you call documented is registered with federal authorities, we do. Up here we call this a blue book as the vessel has her blue passport.

L

That is the equivalent of US documentation. Most countries don't have our equivalence of state registration.

I'm amazed at the fact that the vast majority are documented. Perhaps this puts to rest the beliefs by some that very few here have documented vessels so it's irrelevant to discussions.

Not sure what "documented" means. My boat is registered with the USCG rather than the state. I was told that if the boat is not registered with the USGS they will not go beyond a certain number of miles if you call in a Mayday.

Don't know if that's true or not. I'll look in to that. What is documented?

Mine was USCG documented when I bought it. Being Australian meant that I needed to cancel that documentation, and the resulting certificate was necessary to obtain Australian national registration (documentation). This is quite a formal process....
But it does mean your boat could run for Parliament:).

But it does mean your boat could run for Parliament:).

Not really, it only has two heads and they are only half full of crap. Parliament on the other hand has many more heads, and they are completely full of..... Well you already know that I'm sure!

Not sure what "documented" means. My boat is registered with the USCG rather than the state. I was told that if the boat is not registered with the USGS they will not go beyond a certain number of miles if you call in a Mayday.

Don't know if that's true or not. I'll look in to that. What is documented?

USCG is documented. That is not registered, but documented in the US, the equivalent of registration in other companies. In the US, registration is with the state.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom