Heated Floors in Head?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A winter liveaboard in a cold climate will need heat 24/7 probably for at least 100 days.

Whatever heat system does the work , expanding it to the head should not be hard.

My preference is the heated towel racks easy to install, and will take the chill off the area.

Priority relays are sold as individual items , there is no Kit or website to explain how to install the units.

Basically a lead is taken from the prime user , say the range on switch , that goes to the secondary user , a heater socket..

When the range is turned on the relay in the heater circuit shuts off.

A switched socket , say for a plug in microwave could be used for control of the relay.

Last edited:
That can also be done by sensing the current draw of one appliance to turn another off (or on). For the past 20 or so years I've been using a power strip on my computer that turns on the monitor, powered speakers, etc. when the computer is turned on. It senses the power drawn by the computer to turn on the other devices. It could just as well turn them off with a little rewiring.

I am looking for a current sensing relay, but user adjustable.

Both for when current is rising and falling.

To trigger a separate relay/contactor.

Any suggestions or links most appreciated.

My preference is the heated towel racks easy to install, and will take the chill off the area.

We keep the entire house or boat reasonably warm, at least 68 degrees and typically 70 or 72 and that includes the head. So, the only time I'm cold is after showering. Hence towels. Warm towels any day over warm floors and while at it heating up some clothes too isn't bad in the winter. Of course, as my wife who is currently driving the car while I do this, pointed out, the heat of another body is always good too.

I am looking for a current sensing relay, but user adjustable.

Both for when current is rising and falling.

To trigger a separate relay/contactor.

Any suggestions or links most appreciated.

What I described above came from Radio Shack but probably twenty years ago. It's a power strip with one outlet for the device doing the controlling and four or five others that are switched on and off by power consumed by the controlling device. There's a sensitivity control.

I never took it apart but there's obviously a sensing device, sensitivity circuit and a relay.

We keep the entire house or boat reasonably warm, at least 68 degrees and typically 70 or 72 and that includes the head. So, the only time I'm cold is after showering. Hence towels. Warm towels any day over warm floors and while at it heating up some clothes too isn't bad in the winter. Of course, as my wife who is currently driving the car while I do this, pointed out, the heat of another body is always good too.

Oh yes, I totally agree with your wife's statement. Nothing can equal the body heat of that one special person, pressed against you, under a nice heavy blanket or two.

AND, you may quote me on that too.
Daymn, I miss that.

Applications and pencils are on the table at the back of the room.
Please include a recent photograph.

Back
Top Bottom