View Single Post
Old 12-23-2017, 09:46 AM   #88
TDunn
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Wow, I see some outrageous charges for an oil change here. I do mine myself. I have an oil change pump mounted on a 5 gallon bucket. I run the engine to warm it up, shut down, connect the pump to the oil drain tube and turn the pump on. The oil is out of the engine in less than a minute. Once that is done I replace the oil filter (5 minutes) and the fuel filter. Changing the fuel filter is a bit more involved since I put several oil sorbent pads under/around the filter mount before removing the filter. I fill the new filter with diesel before spinning it on. The final step is to bleed the fuel system. The entire process takes about 15 minutes. Changing the transmission fluid takes an additional 5-10 minutes. Once all the filters are changed I put the new oil in, start the engine and run it for 5 minutes, let the engine sit for a few minutes then top the oil up. The entire process takes under an hour. Changing the raw water impeller is an additional 10 minute job. I don't change any zincs/anodes since my Volvo-Penta diesel doesn't have any (Monel heat exchanger).
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote