My latest canvas project!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Besslb

Guru
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 42'
Canvas window coverings, Front and partial sides are complete!!* I am planning to go all the way around, but only got this much done this past week.*

Attachments

• canvas window shades.jpg
    canvas window shades.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 73
  • canvas6.jpg
    canvas6.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 73
  • canvas9.jpg
    canvas9.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 81
Looking great Bess~ ....who's that derelict hanging out on the bow?

*jots down Chris' name in the 'Moderator's Book of Trouble Makers'*
(double-secret probation)

Anode wrote:
....who's that derelict hanging out on the bow?
*He's a a$$hole that did the installation! ;-)

Phase 2 complete!!* Sides complete.* On to a helm cover.

Attachments

• starboard side window coverings.jpg
    starboard side window coverings.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 86
  • port side window coverings.jpg
    port side window coverings.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 76
Another thumbs up!

Besslb wrote:
Phase 2 complete!!* Sides complete.* On to a helm cover.

*Bess, when you do the helm cover I would be interested in a few "process" pics -- i.e. how you do the patterns, etc.* It has been on my list for several years now.

ARoss wrote:Bess, when you do the helm cover I would be interested in a few "process" pics -- i.e. how you do the patterns, etc.* It has been on my list for several years now.
*Al do you mean something like this....?

It's the pic of my flybridge cover when a storm wrecked the bimini so I took the plunge and had it remade and the helm cover as well.* I think your helm would be very much like mine.

Attachments

• image083.jpg
    image083.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 83
Hi Al!* I definately will take "in process" pictures.* Patterning the windows was very straight forward, no pics needed.* I plan to do a wheel cover separate from the instrument panel cover.*

Patterning was supposed to happen last weekend, but we were so dog tired from helping his cousin in Oriental clean up flood damage, we just came home instead! So, I plan to pattern it this coming weekend.

Nice Job Chuck!**We got quoted 1500.00 for flybridge cushions.* I got my sailrite for 700, the material for 100, the foam for 200.00, and STILL saved 500 bucks!!* That was the beginning of my*canvas projects!!

I can't wait to tackle the Flybridge enclosure!!

-- Edited by Besslb on Sunday 11th of September 2011 05:18:37 PM

That's great Bess. At least you could get a quote. Looks like you have done an excellent job on yours. Chuck

Just like your experience, Chuck, we have had the hardest time getting most people in the boat business to give even the most basic level customer service (you must have read our blog about it too ;-) ) And TBH, canvas people are the WORST! They almost never show up on time, or ever, and have the biggest egos I have ever dealt with in any industry. They all believe they are the best at what they do and everyone else is $hit. Even if you ask around in marinas, there is usually a 50/50 ratio of great experiences and horrible experience with every vendor, so trying to choose is like Pin-The-Tail-On-The-Donkey with no tail and no target. To top it all off, now that I know what I know about canvas work, it is STAGGERING at the amount of mark-up they apply to materials and labor. Sure, not everybody can do it, but with the few options most areas have for competition between vendors, I would almost accuse them of price-fixing. I am glad Bess is embracing these projects and I have started a few of my own. It can be quite fun, but also terribly frustrating. Still, in the end, we can make multiple tries at a single project and still be WAY under the money for paying some ego maniac to do it just once.

I have to add to Tom's rant, that we had Tim's mom Sally do our bimini, and she did a fabulous job, showed up on time and was very easy to work with.* But she is by far the exception to the canvas worker's rule of thumb.*

I wanted to do the bimini myself back then but Tom didn't want me to try it as my first project.* Now, he's pretty certain that I can do the next one!*
biggrin.gif

How are you fastening the covers on the boat?

I have seen a lot of the bungie cord and hook set up used. *Just curious as to the best or prefered method.

SD

We use a variety of fasteners depending on what it is and where it needs to be attached. I don't like bungee style attachments since the bungee wears out and stretches after a short time in the Florida sun. Chuck

For us it was all SS snaps and a press-n-snap tool. All from Sailrite. The install was a bit tricky to pull them tight enough to not wrinkle but not so tight to bee hard to install. Getting over drilling holes in the boat for the first time was REALLY the hardest part.

*Bess, when you do the helm cover I would be interested in a few "process" pics -- i.e. how you do the patterns, etc.* It has been on my list for several years now.

*Patterning pictures as promised!!* I first tossed a huge piece of patterning material over the helm.* I then folded over corners and trimmed up the hemline.* I marked all current snap locations.* I marked the corner folds.* I then had to cut the pattern in two to fit in my fabric.* I forgot to get the 60 inch width.* Oops.* On the diningroom floor I cut the pattern out.

I actually made it way too big first fitting and had to hem it up another 4 inches.* I did a second fitting last weekend.* I expect the cover to fit great this time.* I did the wheel separate.* I just did a big circle with a tube for the hydraulic shaft.* This tube is velcro to close, and the bottom half of the wheel will be snaps.* Finished pictures will be taken this weekend...I hope.

Attachments

• current helm cover.jpg
    current helm cover.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 67
  • current helm uncovered.jpg
    current helm uncovered.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 80
  • pattern 1.jpg
    pattern 1.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 73
  • pattern 2.jpg
    pattern 2.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 79
  • pattern 3.jpg
    pattern 3.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 79
  • pattern 4.jpg
    pattern 4.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 79
  • pattern 5.jpg
    pattern 5.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 80
  • pattern 6.jpg
    pattern 6.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 80
  • pattern 7.jpg
    pattern 7.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 78
  • pattern 8.jpg
    pattern 8.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 83
And....Flybridge curtains are next!!!* Wish me luck!!!!

My project: Do away with the single cover over the fly bridge helm and seats and make individual covers.

-- Edited by rwidman on Wednesday 19th of October 2011 07:47:27 AM

Attachments

• abcd 001.jpg
    abcd 001.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 57
I know I shouldn't really bring this up without having pictures to post...but I'm too excited about my progress!!* I mocked up the three flybridge curtains for across the front, and we took the center to the boat last weekend to check for fit.* It looked really good (ie., pretty damn close), so we brought the bimini home and tonight I sewed the zippers on the front and also along the sides for the next stage.*

The front will be three panels, zipping to each other, to the top, and zipper tubes around the tubing of our venturi.* I am not doing smileys or frownies.* Our venturi has an inch or two space between the plexi panels and the tubing, so we'll have ventiliation, no problem.* The sides will be two panels per side.

I have been taking pictures, but haven't gotten them off the camera yet.* I will post soon.

(or maybe Tom will post them while I'm not looking!)

Here are the pics as ordered:

First things first. Husband Unit has to make a few adjustments on the bimini frame.

1) Moving the forward support from inside the venturi to a good spot to make the pole be right on the corner.

2) Giving the entire frame more lateral support. Whoever built this frame originally I would like to break a tree root off in their shrimp.

Then we test fit the zippers for the front panels

3) 3" facing and #10 zipps. Looking good,

Now back home for the Carbon Wife Unit to put the Sailrite maching thru its paces.

4) Attaching the front panel zippers.

5 & 6) Attaching the zippers for the side panels. (Although she hasn't even patterned for these yet. The fronts are priority.)

I am trilled so far... so is she.

Attachments

• p1010109.jpg
    p1010109.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 55
  • p1010112.jpg
    p1010112.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 57
  • p1010105.jpg
    p1010105.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 53
  • p1010134.jpg
    p1010134.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 50
  • p1010136.jpg
    p1010136.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 53
  • p1010138.jpg
    p1010138.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 62
Bess,

New career.

There is always room for one more canvas shop in NB.

JD - Don't think I haven't thought about it.* Sounds like a good career for the intended cruiser.* Work during the summer and head south in winter.* And for the prices the shops charge, it seems like a lucrative income too.

We will be down this weekend if you want to look at my windows and the flap that covers the zippers.

Did that last weekend!* ;-)** We'll be down Saturday, I hope to finish the front panels tonight and install tomorrow!!!* Maybe you can come see mine!**

Besslb wrote:

JD - Don't think I haven't thought about it.* Sounds like a good career for the intended cruiser.* Work during the summer and head south in winter.* And for the prices the shops charge, it seems like a lucrative income too.

Hey Bess- Great Work. How sweet of a life to move into the "intended cruiser" role! I don't know that I will ever get the Admiral to ever give up a yard at home to mow, but if I could.. I bet there are some great places that someone with your skill set could make plenty taking care of bimini's, covers, etc. There are so many other things too that we as trawler owners have learned to do that could be marketed as you traveled. Britework repairs and finishing, engine fuel system work, dink pinhole repairs, resealing windows, door latches, roll and tip paint jobs, ice maker installations, Flo Scan installs, auto pilot repairs, fishing (just kidding, I stink at that :smile:),door slides, bilge pump switches, AC flush, man I could go on forever! We had a guy at our marina last year that came over (drove) from Florida to do canvas work. Apparently he had ended up with a job in our area and after that would schedule more work here that he would combine. You could probably travel by boat anywhere you wanted and have all the work you wanted!

DONE!!!!** Front Panels are complete!!! Just need some zipper stops at the zipper ends!!

Keep your fingers crossed that it fits!!!

Attachments

• p1010141.jpg
    p1010141.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 47
  • p1010139.jpg
    p1010139.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 63

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom