New member from Plantation, FL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dhweber1

Good Afternoon.
In 1987, my wife and I chartered a 1972 (wooden) Grand Banks 36 in Washington State. It was a great old boat and we loved it. This year, 2017, 30 years later we chartered a (fiberglass) Grand Banks 46 from NW Explorations. The folks at that company treated us like royalty which helped to cause me to have boat fever again. We are in a position to possibly purchase our own Grand Banks 36 or possibly a 42. I joined this forum in order to learn as much as you folks are willing to teach me about these classic machines.
Thanking you all in advance.

Good Afternoon.
In 1987, my wife and I chartered a 1972 (wooden) Grand Banks 36 in Washington State. It was a great old boat and we loved it. This year, 2017, 30 years later we chartered a (fiberglass) Grand Banks 46 from NW Explorations. The folks at that company treated us like royalty which helped to cause me to have boat fever again. We are in a position to possibly purchase our own Grand Banks 36 or possibly a 42. I joined this forum in order to learn as much as you folks are willing to teach me about these classic machines.
Thanking you all in advance.

You're on the right path having chartered. Wish you luck as you move forward. What boating experience do you have other than those two times?

You can also charter similar boats on the Florida west coast.

In 1976 we lived near St Louis, MO. I had partner in an open bow run about. I do not remember the name. In 1977 we traded it for an 18' boat. In 1979 we moved to the Seattle area. I bought my partner out and towed the boat out to Washington State. I traded it for a Cruiser's, Inc. 20' buddy cabin. We moved to Florida in 1980. In 1985 I traded that boat for a new 27' Bayliner. I sold the Bayliner in 1994 and have been boatless ever since. As I said, we chartered the Grand Banks in 1987. In 1988 we chartered a 39' Ocean Alexander.
We have boating experience in Florida and in Washington State. These two areas could not be more different.
There is more to the story but this is enough for now.

Wifey B: Where's Paul Harvey when we need him? :rofl: Oops, dead. He always had the rest of the story. :)

Welcome here. A lot of experience, just not on the type boat you want now, but you'll have no problem adapting. Mine was 24' and 30' Cobalt's on Lake Norman so the coast was all new to me and now I'm a 200 Ton Master. 28 more sea days and 3 courses for a total of 20 days for 500 Ton. Sea Time will come before the courses. Will have to stay home some for them. It's tough to lock yourself up in a school room when you could be out on the water.

We were in the PNW in 2014. Yes, very different. That's what makes cruising so fun though that every place is different. If you think two places are the same you just didn't dig deep enough.

Welcome aboard and good luck in your search for a Grand Banks!

L

Welcome to the herd from Aventura FL

Welcome aboard and good luck during your fun search.

Welcome Aboard! A word of warning, don't ask about anchors. You'll start an argument that will run hundreds of posts. Just assume that what ever anchor you have, it is the wrong type, it is too small and you don't have enough chain.

Welcome friends. I'm learning every day. Look to hear your discoveries.

Dhweber1,
After the holidays, if you wish, you can visit my AT34 (now a 36). Then if you wish to explore larger ATs, I will call my broker and see what he has in the 'used' inventory. He just might have a used 42 (?) (now 44) AT around.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom