1978 34' - dip fuel tanks to measure fuel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meridian

Guru
Vessel Name
Meridian
Vessel Make
Krogen-42
I'm looking to purchase a 34'.* Can the fuel in the tanks be measured by using a dip stick through the fuel fills or do I need to rely on the fuel gauge?

meridian wrote:
I'm looking to purchase a 34'.* Can the fuel in the tanks be measured by using a dip stick through the fuel fills or do I need to rely on the fuel gauge?
*Yes you can use a stick, however the gages on the 78 Mainship I had were
extremely accurate. I could predict within 10 gallons how much fuel I could take
on. I thought that was excellent on a 110 gallon tank. I also tried using a
stick when I first bought the boat but gave it up as the gages proved out to be
as or more accurate.* It became somewhat of a game after a while but with the boat level and with careful reading of the gage it was pretty easy.
Jay

-- Edited by jleonard on Monday 12th of September 2011 06:13:03 AM

My tanks each have a port on the forward end that is unused. I use those to dip my tanks before fueling up to see how much I want to put in each tank. I shoot for around 90 gals in each tank when fueling.

An inch of fuel measured from the top of the tank may contain more fuel than an inch from near the bottom of the tank. Many boat tanks vary their shape to conform to the hull so volume top to bottom is'nt the same as lower down. Swing arm float type gauges are even more nonlinear that the shape of most fuel tanks. Generally they go down very slowly in the top half and faster near the bottom. Best method for accurate measuring is to fill the tank 10 gallons (or whatever) at a time dipping the tank for each 10 gallons added. Takes time and many fuel stops prolly won't go for that but for a lot of work you can fill your tanks 10 gallons at a time w two 5 gallon jerry jugs. Depending on the location of the dipping hole or sensor list may vary the measuring process to some degree as well.

nomadwilly wrote:
Best method for accurate measuring is to fill the tank 10 gallons (or whatever) at a time dipping the tank for each 10 gallons added.

Exactly how mine is done but in 20 gal increments. *We're not dealing with automobiles with 20 gal tanks and every gal you can squeeze in counts. *I dip my tanks before fueling and shoot for 10-15 gals under FULL. *I figure this should compensate for the angle of the boat at any given time and I shouldn't have to worry about a fuel spill and its "close enuff" to full for me. *If I get down to 30 gallons in a tank I'm looking for the nearest fuel dock anyway.

Need help on the original prop and pitch specifications. The boat came without any paperwork and my performance of 7mph on a* 200hp perkins at 1700 rpm is disapointing considering my engine turns to 2350rpm. I am pulling prop next week and would like a starting point to discuss with prop man. I appreciate your help and thoughts. I understand its*better**to meet people first to be polite and**before requesting help. I am a 59yr lifelong boater living in Seabrook, Texas. Planning to cruise this boat on the ICW when retiring. Thanks

Brgds

Harry Hammett

I answered you in you other post. Talk to me before you talk to your prop man. I have tons of experience with that boat. Verify the engine by serial number or send me a picture. With a 200 perkins (ould have to have been repowered as a 160 was all that was avalable in 1978) you should be able to get to 14 knots no sweat.

jleonard@usa.norgren.com

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom