Fogging a diesel engine.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Willy
Vessel Make
Willard Nomad 30'
Never done it and it seems to me the fogging oil would act like fuel and cause the engine to rev way up. Is this done while the engine is cold?

NO, while the engine will operate on fogging oil , the spray is modulated to allow the engine to load up with the oil.

Usually the fuel is in cut off while fogging .

Boodles of exhaust smoke is normal!

Fred if my "fuel is in cut off" while fogging it won't be running and wont be ingesting the fogging oil* .....mission not accomplished. Does the engine die when it gets "loaded up w fogging oil" ? And while the engine "operates" on fogging oil would that be at 1000rpm or at 3000rpm?

"When spraying in the fogging oil you cut off the fuel."

IF the engine will continue to run on the spray , 30 seconds at modest rpm 1200? will digest plenty.

Some engines will not run on fogging fluid.

Then you run the warm engine up to 1800 or so and have someone cut the fuel.

As the rpm decays it will take enough of the spray thru the intake to do the job.

After fogging it is recommended to seal the intake and exhaust as tight as you can to prevent moist air from entering.

Eric--- I've never heard of this practice being used on a diesel engine but that doesnt' mean it isn't. But given the potential for damage I would be inclined to contact an experienced and reputable diesel shop (or manufacturer) and find out what they do or recommend. I would think that the pickling process for a diesel is not unlike what I've seen done to airplane engines like the R-985s on Beavers. Plugs are pulled, the cylinders are filled with some sort of pickling oil, openings to the atmosphere are plugged as FF mentions, and so forth.

Nicest is the DD 2 strokes , where removing one bolt on each air box allows spraying directly into the cylinder.

When I had a yard EVERY engine would be fogged as part of the winterizing program.

Biggest PIA were the old Volvos with 2 or 3 intakes, for the seperate cylinders.

The aircraft folks have a special crankcase oil for pickeling , but at $60 a gallon it is pricy.

-- Edited by FF on Tuesday 4th of October 2011 04:18:13 AM

Pickeling an aircraft engine or fogging a marine engine are both done to coat the valve train and cylinder walls with a thin coat of oil to prevent rust during periods of inactivity. Pratt & Whitney recommended pickeling radial engines for more than 2 weeks of down-time.
Pratt R-2800s and Wright R-2600s both have a fitting below the carburetor to inject oil for pickeling. With the oil dispenser connected to this fitting through a valve, the engine is run at idle. The valve is slowly opened and oil is sucked into the intake airstream. Over a few minutes the oil flow is increased until the engine stalls. Yes, it is very smokey. We learned to let the Port of Everett fire department know when we were pickeling engines, because if we didn't we would see the fire trucks shortly.
After the engines stalled, one plug was pulled in each cylinder and the cylinder was filled with oil. The carburetor inlet and exhaust pipes were sealed with tape. For long-term storage a silica gel packet would be inserted into each exhaust pipe before taping.
A gasoline marine engine can be fogged the same way, but a diesel engine generally has to be fogged by running the engine on fogging oil since there are no spark plugs that can be remove to fill the cylinders with oil.

Back
Top Bottom