Tides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ole Hank

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Hanks Dream
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler44
Anyone use a ride app for a PC. Got lots on my phone but wanted something on my computer that was simple.

I use Coastal Explorer for nav on my laptop. It has a pretty good tide predictor, includes currents too. Will not include wind driven tides, you need real time data from tide stations for that, thus some sort of internet connection. Wind effects can change tides quite a bit depending on where you are.

Doesn't your navigation program have tides?
Or do you not have one on your computer? If not, you should get one.

In app tides and currents is one of the deciding factors in the navigation tools I use. Coastal Explorer and OpenCPN both have excellent device resident tides and currents. On my iPAd, Navionics has excellent tide and current information and it is device resident.

Attachments

• Hell gate tide high.jpg
    Hell gate tide high.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 82
NOAA has both Tide and Current pages. All stations...

Don't have the links on this computer, but it'seasy to find...

-Chris

We always check more than one source for tide data. It’s amazing how different high tide for the same location can vary.

Agree, for the money Navionics on an IPad along with other reference materials are well worth the money.

NOAA has both Tide and Current pages. All stations...

Don't have the links on this computer, but it'seasy to find...

And now I'm on one of our main computers... These are links we use a lot in our local area. Click around to navigate to where might be useful...

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/noaatidepredictions.html?id=8575737&legacy=1

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/stationhome.html?id=8575512

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/noaacurrents/Predictions?id=ACT4966_1

-Chris

Hmm...

We do not have 6v batteries (another conversation, joke) and it is also not a tide Baltic seas at all and it is really nice at this.:D

NBs

14 posts so far and I haven’t seen anthing at all about tides.

We get one of these every year.

Attachments

• 7DD2D965-7461-43E0-97FE-C8D6A3E48F8E.jpg
    7DD2D965-7461-43E0-97FE-C8D6A3E48F8E.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 55
Does this Calendar show the daily snow fall up here?

L

Thanks Dave,
Where are they availible?
West Marine or ?.

With that tide table one can factor in the tide differences for (as an example) all of Puget Sound and the islands. If I had the chart for Everett or LaConner it should be easy. For as often as I need tide information this should do fine.

Last edited:
We always check more than one source for tide data. It’s amazing how different high tide for the same location can vary.

Yes. For sure! But it’s kinda like having two clocks—which one is correct?

For the BC coast, travel through any passes with strong currents should be verified using the CHS tables. For example the tables on AyeTides for Malibu Rapids are uniformly wrong as are the tables on Coastal Explorer for Dent Rapids.

Jim

Doesn't your navigation program have tides?
Or do you not have one on your computer? If not, you should get one.
I just bought a 2 in 1 PC. I use Navionics on an iPad but am looking to move to PC only. So right now I am also looking for nav software on PC.

Buy a set of tide tables showing standard ports and secondary port variations.
Paper charts have tidal streams on the back, if you cant understand it without a computer go back to night school.
I don't mean to be rude or abrasive but if you can do simple mental arithmetic and count to twelve you can work it out in your head.
If you're new to the sea go to the first seaport, moor there for a week, watch and learn the rhythm of the weather and the sea.

Thanks Dave,
Where are they availible?
West Marine or ?.

With that tide table one can factor in the tide differences for (as an example) all of Puget Sound and the islands. If I had the chart for Everett or LaConner it should be easy. For as often as I need tide information this should do fine.

I got this one at the NW maritime center in Port Townsend. I think Fisheries has them no sure about WM.

Paper charts have tidal streams on the back, if you cant understand it without a computer go back to night school.
I don't mean to be rude or abrasive but if you can do simple mental arithmetic and count to twelve you can work it out in your head.
If you're new to the sea go to the first seaport, moor there for a week, watch and learn the rhythm of the weather and the sea.
Lol I'd call it more ignorant than rude. In this century it's just nice to have convenience and speed when it's there. But thanks for your input.

I use AyeTides on my iPhone. I find it's really handy for planning departures or other tide-dependent activities without having to dig out a table or book when the computer's not running. The app has a GPS function that finds the closest station.

While underway, it's CE and its tide/current functions. Couldn't be easier, <shift> T for tides, <shift> C for currents.

What about seaports with diurnal tides? Or worse, mixed, semi-diurnal?

My paper charts are blank on the back....or just another chart, nothing with tides unless you are talking charts of tidal ranges.

Learning rythm in one week doesnt mean the same size tides the next.

And I agree with the OP, why bother with the calculating, when a single click can give it instantly plus a couple clicks more to change dates?

Plus the graphics are going to show the "rhythm" a lot quicker than sitting for days to get a miniscule glimpse of tidal changes.

I am old school in a lot of things...but this is about data more than seamanship....and getting it easy isnt bad.

Last edited:
The Ports and Passes annual book covers PNW for tides and currents, WA, BC and SE AK. Available online or from places like LFS. Around $20. Lots of info.

Back
Top Bottom