View Single Post
Old 12-18-2017, 06:02 AM   #11
twistedtree
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerin View Post
It makes sense if it's gear oil. It's possible that you're looking at two different things. The SAE10w-90 is probably gear oil for the pinion gear that's located in the tunnel and has the props attatched to it. There should be a small remote mounted reservoir with a fill tube to the gear. That's a separate system from the hydraulic motor that's driving it.

That system will use hydraulic oil, and I'm guessing it's in a reservoir tank in the engine room. There should be a sight tube to show level on the tank, and a quart or two is pretty incidental in the total oil fill. The hydraulic system will probably have a filter in the system somewhere, if you drain the system, you should probably change the filter. If you change the oil, you'll have to run the system through a purge sequence that should be detailed in your Wesmar manual. If you don't have the manual, call Wesmar support (425-481-2296) and get the information from them, They're helpful in support.

FWIW the hydraulic oil in my Wesmar stabilizer system is ISO46. That's no guarantee that yours will be the same ISO rating. Hydraulic oil is by default non-foaming, the ISO # is what you're looking for.
Real good point here. I had assumed you were talking about the hydraulic oil which I still think is correct since it was in the context of your hydraulic reservoir being worked on. The thruster gear box will also contain gear oil. Yours might be totally self contained. My ABT thruster gear oil is as Maerin describes with small hose coming out and connected to a little reservoir bottle.

You said you found something that read "SAE 10w 90-180 non foaming". That's not "SAE 10W-90. I'm guessing it's SAE 10W which is now known as ISO32, and I'm not sure what the 90-180 is. Maybe an operating temp range?

Just call Wesmar. They are right up the road.