Christmas Bling!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greysailor

Vessel Name
Salty
Vessel Make
2005 Defever 44
Fresh tune-up from the prop shop.:dance:
Tried to convince my wife that since they are sparkly 26"X20" rare metal, they should be funded from her Christmas jewelry fund....I got "the look":nonono:.
Now for a crisp December dive to reinstall them....may have to run my hot water line inside my wetsuit!:blush:

Attachments

• prop.jpg
    prop.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 118
I know the look. It's very deflating if not down right scary at times. Had mine balanced and tuned and propspeed. Actually two sets done. Took the four blades off as the PO had a run in with something and replaced them with the original 3 blades that came with the boat. Getting both sets done put a dent in any jewelry for B'day or Christmas thoughts I had. Not as much as buying new ones but still a pretty good dent. So much for diamonds. The guilt left fairly quickly though. Have to ask the newb question as I wasn't there when the diver pulled or put mine back on...how the heck do you do that? I assume you float them with 5 gallon gas cans and lower them down or something like that??

May I ask how much to expect too pay to have a prop checked and balanced?

L

Have to ask the newb question as I wasn't there when the diver pulled or put mine back on...how the heck do you do that? I assume you float them with 5 gallon gas cans and lower them down or something like that??

I tywrap "pool noodles" to the blades to offset the weight. My marina is shallow enough to stand on bottom and be at shaft height.

Last edited by a moderator:
May I ask how much to expect too pay to have a prop checked and balanced?

L

I had some rock rash repaired, so cost was greater. I wouldn't think a balance check/tune would cost more than a couple hundred per prop, if no welding required. I'm sure prices vary between industrial areas like Houston, and yachty places on the East coast!:whistling:

Unfortunately I know more than I'd like, having just picked up a couple props this afternoon. One had some "issues" needed some welding and truing etc. That one cost me about 600. The other one ended up being junk, so I had to replace. That one was about 1500. These were 22x22 props and the work done at Tacoma Propeller.

For mine to be reconditioned the cost was 600.00 I was expecting it to be much more so I was pleasantly surprised.

Lou, see pictures to get an idea of the shape they were in. Had them mended, balanced, tuned, etc. but no Propspeed and the cost combined was about $1,100. They went from looking like this to looking like new. I had a second set of three blades that I had done as well. Since I was putting them on the boat I had Propspeed added and the combined cost was $1,400. They were in better shape initially. Hope this helps. Sure wish I could figure out how to get pictures to show in the correct orientation!

Attachments

• Port Prop  (1).JPG
    Port Prop (1).JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Starboard Prop.JPG
    Starboard Prop.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Port Prop  (2).JPG
    Port Prop (2).JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Port Prop  (4).JPG
    Port Prop (4).JPG