Trouble with 9.9 tohatsu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joew2604

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Peterpan 111
Vessel Make
Gulfstar
Hi all. I have a 9.9B-2 355A 90's outboard on my Caribe dinghy. In the morning prime it , Pull and all is well. However,sometime s it will start to run for less than a minute,then stop. I will prime it again,put the starter grip in the start position, even open it up and it just won't start until I leave it for a few hours. When it runs it runs extremely well but the original starting problem is very frustrating. Appreciate any suggestions.Thank you

Tough to troubleshoot from a distance but it could be the carb is getting gummed up from dirt/gasoline varnish which can block some of the very tiny holes/jets.

Do you use a filter between the tank and the engine? You should, installed in the hose between the tank and the engine. Some small engines have a tiny filter inside the engine housing, just ahead of the carburetor, but it is tiny. Maybe it is plugging. Change it as it can plug quite quickly.

If it is gum then an additive such as Startron or Seafoam may help since it does still run which means fuel is getting through the passages. If no fuel is getting through passages then they cannot help. Then tt may require a full carb. strip down and chemical cleaning but try the other things first.

Which fuel do you use? Do not use alcohol laden fuel or gasahol. It will create problems with small engines like this as they were never designed for it. Find a source of no alcohol fuel. If you have gas stations with 92 or 94 octane, no alcohol, premium fuel that would do a much better job.

Oddly some places like garden equipment sellers may offer a gas that has no alcohol, not sure what they use as a replacement, for chain saws, weed eaters, blowers, etc. It is not cheap but may be worth considering. Some areas you may be able to get Avgas.

If you cannot avoid use of gasahol then buy only what you need, midgrade or premium , not storing large quantities and use it up. IF it starts to get old, 4-6 months or less, then use it in the car where it will be well diluted and used quickly. Actually it's not good to buy large quantities of fuel that then sits for long times.

Could be a sticky carb float valve. Could be time for a rebuild.

Carb removal and cleaning is a half hour job.

Unplug the stop button and the lanyard kill switch. Water got in mine and caused erratic ignition.

Rare for carb problems to come and go. Usually carb either works right or does not.

Hi all. I have a 9.9B-2 355A 90's outboard on my Caribe dinghy. In the morning prime it , Pull and all is well. However,sometime s it will start to run for less than a minute,then stop. I will prime it again,put the starter grip in the start position, even open it up and it just won't start until I leave it for a few hours. When it runs it runs extremely well but the original starting problem is very frustrating. Appreciate any suggestions.Thank you

I had one. Spent so much time in the shop, I finally gave it to them and bought a Honda.

The 4 cycle OBs are such a pleasure to pull start. I remember the old 2 cycle OB. I think we had to pull them hard and fast if for no other reason than to teach them, who's the boss. LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom