Help with saved videos please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GFC

Guru
OK I will be the first to admit that I'm not a techno genius, but I'm stumped by something that's going on with my laptop.

I have uploaded hundreds of videos from my various cameras to subdirectories on my computer. Now, when I go to open them, here's what I see, and when I click on any of them all I get is the audio portion, no video.

I've tried everything I can think of to open them but have no luck.
Movies.jpg

I know there's someone on TF who has more tech savvy than I do so please share your secrets with me.

In the dark Mike

Mike,

Might help if you state computer type and operating system, we run all Mac and Apple and its like talking Greek to a windows person.

We use a free download called “VLC” and it runs every file that we have tried so far.

Might work for you.

Mike,

Might help if you state computer type and operating system, we run all Mac and Apple and its like talking Greek to a windows person.

See, I told you I wasn't a tech genius.

It's a Dell Laptop running Windows 10. Sorry.

John, thanks for the tip on VLC. I downloaded it and it allows me to view the videos as they should be.

Now, a followup question for you....When using VLC is there a way to save the videos in a format where they can just be opened with a double-click, without using VLC?

Mike,
Beats me, I just use it to play video’s and music.

John, thanks for the tip on VLC. I downloaded it and it allows me to view the videos as they should be.

Now, a followup question for you....When using VLC is there a way to save the videos in a format where they can just be opened with a double-click, without using VLC?

Your operating system can associate various file types with your preferred software so that when you click on a file it knows you want to run that file using your preferred software. Sorry I can't remember how to set that association, but if you experiment a little you will figure it out. Begin by right clicking on the file, then it will ask you what software you want to use to open that file, probably offering a drop down menu of its best guesses. At that point, there should be a way for you to set the selected software as your preference for that type of file.

Well I tried right clicking on each icon and I get a pop-up window with these options under the "Open With" option:

Movies & TV - audio only, no video
Press Play Video - audio and video
VLC Media Player - audio and video
Windows Media Player - audio only, no video

Double Click - audio only, no video

I did notice that when I upload the to YouTube they load properly. I guess I'll just stick with using VLC.

Back
Top Bottom