Outboard tiller extension

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I recently bought a new 15hp Suzuki outboard for the dinghy and it’s about 30lbs heavier than the old 2stroke. Thinking about a tiller extension. See lots on eBay, but don’t know if there is a better style/brand.

Anyone use such an extension?

I've used the commercially available aluminum ones and wasn't real impressed with the collar/screw assembly that secures it to outboards tiller. I made one out of PVC pipe that was a little bit better. They are awkward around the docks while maneuvering. Reaching back to shift while trying not to move the tiller is clumsy at best.

Hmmm. Maybe I will just mount the fuel tank forward. That’s about 30lbs.

My solution for controls

I ran into the same issue concerning access to my small outboard controls. I did not want to lift off the motor and store on board ... not a space issue but with my luck it would become an anchor. I went with a rotating outboard mount that allows the motor to rotate out of the way when I tip the dinghy up on the Weaver Davits. That mounting set the motor back an additional 6". My solution was fabricate a 18" longer tiller arm and move the shift to the tiller like larger outboards. I ordered an OE arm from a Yamaha dealer, cut it in pieces and fabricated an extended center section. The 4hp used a solid rotating rod that I cut and sleeved to extend. There was some trial and ERROR in the build but I has worked well for me.

Attachments

• DSCN0667.jpg
    DSCN0667.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 114
Ditto, I have used both a store-bought extension and a PVC pipe, and I have to say the PVC is at least as nice. And you can customize it to your liking - length, tape on the handle or not, etc.

I ran into the same issue concerning access to my small outboard controls. I did not want to lift off the motor and store on board ... not a space issue but with my luck it would become an anchor. I went with a rotating outboard mount that allows the motor to rotate out of the way when I tip the dinghy up on the Weaver Davits. That mounting set the motor back an additional 6". My solution was fabricate a 18" longer tiller arm and move the shift to the tiller like larger outboards. I ordered an OE arm from a Yamaha dealer, cut it in pieces and fabricated an extended center section. The 4hp used a solid rotating rod that I cut and sleeved to extend. There was some trial and ERROR in the build but I has worked well for me.

WoW ! Thats a really nice setup you made.

Sitting forward reaching back I had directional difficulty recalling which way to rotate the throttle up/down. Otherwise, an instant dinghy planing device. Mine came from the Oz marine chain, Whitworths, a simple clamp-on tube, generic in design.

I put fixed trim tabs on a Skiff I built when the bow wanted to climb and I didn't want to use a tiller extension. The other problem with a heavy engine on a small boat is that the stern wave wants to come into the boat when you slow suddenly.

Larry,

Cool. Thanks. I saw those online and was hoping someone here had tried them. Def cheap enough to try out.

short extendion and Doelfin for motor....

made all the difference in getting on plane....also, one hole of trim on my 8hp Ysmmie makes a huge difference.

We have the HelmsMate 18” tiller extension that we paid $20 for. I made one with pvc before which was ok but the HelmsMate works better and goes on and off much easier.

I have the same (or something very similar). Works well -- better than I expected for the price.

We have used a store bought one for the last 15 years. I no longer remember who made it. it is similar to this. http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass...ndle?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions It telescope which makes the issue of shifting much easier and it allows for different seating locations depending upon dinghy loading. It has a very easy to use knob to clamp it to the tiller, and it is very quick and easy to remove.

I have the same outboard and use a tiller extension bought from Amazon, the Helmsmate. I also added a Doelfin and the little boat runs great with that setup.

Didn’t think about trim tabs. Thanks. Also, I suppose I could make an extension from PVC to see if I like it first.

These tabs are interesting, but look like they would get in the way when hoisting the dinghy, beaching it, etc.
MAXI MARINE - Detachable Planing System for Inflatable Sportboats/RIB (Lifters - special trim tabs)

View attachment 71189

https://youtu.be/Zjhc4T7kExw

The tabs I used were much smaller than that. They extended aft from the transom maybe 6 to 8 inches. They were set level with the boat bottom. I think they added some lift just under the engine. The boat would jump right on plane and I could sit aft where the tiller was easy to reach without an extension.

I started working on floatation boxes to replace the trim tabs. I'm hoping the floatation boxes will give some lift at the transom when I slow down quickly. With the heavy engine, there is not a lot of freeboard at the transom.

Interesting! Like the flotation steps I see on aluminum flat bottoms?

IMG_2048.jpg

I would like to look at your plan. That seems like the best of both worlds— extra floatation for when stationary or slowing down, plus extra planing lift.

Doesn’t seem like there is much room on my little transom for pods however so can’t imagine in my head how they would attach.

Last edited:
Fortunately for you, Cardude, these really spiffy outboard flotation helpers are available for almost any application. I've got an extra one I ordered by mistake that I'd let you have for the online cost of $50. Free shipping too!

Attachments

• dinghy with outboard float.jpg
    dinghy with outboard float.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 182
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Fortunately for you, Cardude, these really spiffy outboard flotation helpers are available for almost any application. I've got an extra one I ordered by mistake that I'd let you have for the online cost of $50. Free shipping too!

LOL! Awesome.

I would like to look at your plan. That seems like the best of both worlds— extra floatation for when stationary or slowing down, plus extra planing lift.

Doesn’t seem like there is much room on my little transom for pods however so can’t imagine in my head how they would attach.

No plan, I'm just winging it. I did make a pattern of the area of the transom where it will be attached. I've made a prototype box for the port side but I'm thinking I'll remake it with 3/8" plywood instead of the 1/2" I used. The box isn't closed yet as I'm still trying to figure out how to fasten it to the transom.

The boxes will be fiberglassed and painted to match the boat. Sorry the pictures are sideways. I still haven't figured out how to prevent that.

Attachments

• IMG_1351.jpg
    IMG_1351.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1350.jpg
    IMG_1350.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1349.jpg
    IMG_1349.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 46
Slick! I see the Lehr 15 weighs 110lbs. What’s your skiff going to weigh when done?

Attachments

• IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 37
Back
Top Bottom