Mechanic for pre-purchase in Deltaville

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuredAway

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sweet Freedom
Vessel Make
Monk 36
We have finally found a boat we are looking to buy. Our survey is coming up next week and I am looking for suggestions on a mechanic to do the engine survey. The boat is in Deltaville

Thanks for your help

Tony

What type of engine?

I bought a boat with a Yanmar, so I narrowed my search based on Yanmar certified technicians in the area.

I used Tom Hug to survey my twin Cummins motors and their transmissions, as well as a Westerbeke genset.

Tom gave me a super survey report and a thorough analysis, and once I bought the boat I had him do the maintenance and mods he recommended.

Tom can be reached at 410 274 7636 on his cell, or leave a message on his Baltimore shop phone at 410 574 1625.

I was really happy with Tom's work and his report really inspired confidence in my purchase decision.

Last edited:
Should have mentioned the engines are Cat 3208's

I am quite certain Tom has significant Cat experience if you don't find a dedicated Cat mechanic.

Cat certified mechanics will usually do a "by the numbers" Cat defined survey, Service Report and oil analysis. But that sometimes doesn't tell the whole story and I would prefer a mechanic who does some thinking about what he finds rather than just going through the numbers.

Eric Rydzewski, AKA Ski In NC is such a guy and while his engine base is broad, I understand he has quite a bit of Cat experience. You can PM him on this site.

Another Cat specific guy is Tim Caruso. His website is Contact Us.

Eric is near Wilmington, NC and Tim is in SW Florida. Tim in particular flies anywhere for Cat surveys.

David

Last edited:
I used Tim Caruso to survey my engines pre-purchase. He did a very thorough job. I believe he will only survey CATs.

I can offer a second emphatic recommendation for Tom Hug. A great teacher as well as a great mechanic. Honest as the day is long, if he can't or won't do it he can likely recommend someone who will. I believe it is important to use someone local to your cruising grounds or home port if you possibly can.

Good luck with the survey and future boat purchase. [emoji322]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom