Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
Anti fouling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Gordon, thank you for your input.
As background info yes previous coat were ablative paint.
I am doing myself the best favor that is to say asking advises on the subject from more experienced people on the best forum.
If I can clarified my questions, I try to see if only antifouling is enough to protect fb hull from water ingress (or any damage) or if I need any undercoat,and especially on chipped areas. Doing it fast is something, doing it cheap also, just try to do it right

L.
Lou,

Yes, it is good to ask questions. Antifouling paint does nothing to stop water penetration of your hull. The purpose of anti-fouling is as the name implies to keep growth on your hull to a minimal. Many people use a barrier coat such as interlude 2000e to keep water from penetrating into the fiberglass.

Your boat has a fiberglass hull covered with gelcoat. Probably over the gelcoat are up to five coats of barrier coat. It is the barrier coat that ensures water does not penetrate. In my state I am allowed to use a dustless sanding system to remove what is apparently loose paint. If it is not loose it stays on and becomes the base for the next coat.

If you do choose to sand, I would use nothing more aggressive than 80 grit sandpaper. I would also go very lightly and use an orbital sander. In my experience pressure washing probably gets off most of everything that you want removed.
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote