Is a Camano “big enough” ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Confused, Our boat has what you folks are calling a 'Wet Head' I guess, as the two, commode and shower share the same space. Our walls are formica, after a shower, a simple wipe down of the walls no more than a minute one would suppose, and check to see that the t/paper remained dry which is the case due to location. No big deal on the
'Slo~Belle', in fact another attribute to our boat when space utilization is in play.

Wifey B: Wet heads work fine for many but given a choice, most would choose dry. I choose separate shower and must be sized for two. :blush:

A dedicated shower stall requires less wiping down of various surfaces such as the toilet as well as cleaning-solution containers handily kept aside a "dry" toilet.

Well Woopie Do!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::facepalm:

Wifey B: Whoopie Do Do might be more like it. :rofl: A wet shower makes it very difficult for one person to use a toilet while another showers. :lol:

Yal I sort of snickered at Markpiece's objection to a smigen of physical labor, yet with a smile yet on my face reading you, the immediate thought is " what are the odds?"

Anyway guys, I am fortunate to have escaped the level of civilization allowing me to either piss over the side, or use the deck bucket and dump it over the side or wait til the head being used as a shower stall is free. small things, that are accomplished without a huge amount of thought.:angel:

Al-Ketchikan

You can check out the revamped now Helmsman/camano31 here
http://www.helmsmantrawlers.com/31-camano/
They have address many of the complaints/issues
Galley is now up
Leaving room for separate shower stall
And a bunch of other changes.
But no side doors.....but keeps boat dry ,
but this is a 27' lwl boat ! 28' OD
So for the size it's a lot of boat. I can't justify buying new but this would be on a short list....
Cheers Warren
You can read more here
http://www.helmsmantrawlers.com/wp-...-Camano-Waggoner-Cruising-Guide-pages-1-4.pdf

Last edited:
Seriously, all snide remarks aside, the Helmsman is an outstanding example of space use. In all regards, given the funding, it would be this or a 37 Lord Nelson.
Regards
Al-Ketchikan

Last edited:
Al.... I agree...
While a separate shower is nice, it too requires being “wiped down” to look good.
My southern sailboat has a wet head and it’s not a big deal.
I remember wet heads being total luxury after sun heated shower bags in the cockpit...
I’m glad I have the shower...but a larger storage compartment in that space wouldn’t have been a deal breaker for me.
PS...
Best of the season to everyone.
Merry Christmas !

O 'Lordy" (Pun) were that on the West Coast,:flowers: there is one for 109,000 in Seattle area, and so darn tempted, however, at age 80 and a current 'Perfect' boat in hand, I have to face reality choosing the model over the actual!!
Thanks, good humor post:thumb:

O 'Lordy" (Pun) were that on the West Coast,:flowers: there is one for 109,000 in Seattle area, and so darn tempted, however, at age 80 and a current 'Perfect' boat in hand, I have to face reality choosing the model over the actual!!
Thanks, good humor post:thumb:

That is not a model. It is a 'slightly smaller in size LN. Some assembly required.

Yup, anyone that proclaims, 'growing old is fun', has never grown old.
I will be coming up on 75. Good to see you still doing the boating dance.

Interestedly, there isn't really much to LN tug. Simplicity at its finest.

Speaking of camanos being a great couples boat (providing they have 2 anchors)(of exceptable weight and design as well) has anyone seen a Maple Bay 27? I was lucky enough to be aboard one for a tour a few years ago. What a pretty, classic looking and extremely livable smaller boat. Only a few were built and long out of production now. No flybridge tho.. I’ve truly gotten to enjoy the flybridge on sunny days.
We are here, on the east-ish coast:) Been slipped at Dunkirk NY the past two seasons, but next year will have our home base at Macedon NY on the Erie Canal...and you are right 27 feet is perfect, never thought it would be as comfortable and livable as it is...we love her.

We put an offer in on a 2006 MS 34. We looked at the Camano 31.
Our reasons for not pursuing one was the difficulty in getting around on the boat for those of us that are starting to have mobility issues and can't climb ladders or hang on and hope not to slip on a 6" side deck.
As far as the less is more argument goes, there are a minimum number of systems required on most small trawlers. I doubt my larger/heavier MS 34 has any more systems then a Camano 31 setup for cruising, albeit it will cost more to dock and run.

My two cents!
David

We put an offer in on a 2006 MS 34. We looked at the Camano 31.
Our reasons for not pursuing one was the difficulty in getting around on the boat for those of us that are starting to have mobility issues and can't climb ladders or hang on and hope not to slip on a 6" side deck.
As far as the less is more argument goes, there are a minimum number of systems required on most small trawlers. I doubt my larger/heavier MS 34 has any more systems then a Camano 31 setup for cruising, albeit it will cost more to dock and run.

My two cents!
David

For my AT, I hung a few grab lines from the upper railings and hang on tight if I go down the side decks. Of course, the AT has a port and starboard pilot house doors to transit aft or forward as necessary.
The side decks on the AT34, the side decks are a bit over 9 inches.
I have briefly thought about having some railings fabricated running from after of the pilot house doors aft to the cockpit. I think I would actually lose part of the side deck so I settled for the hanging lines.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom