Is a Camano “big enough” ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Once we retire next year and build our treehouse we are going to downsize and build a Bartender...

What size?

Are you going to try and force a broach and slide sideways down the face of a breaking wave to test the Calkin's Bartender legendary seakeeping qualities :eek:

Looking at this thread from my 30’ boat I’m think’in most trawler form guys must have a very active social life ant tons of friends.

For some people a Honda Element will do, but for others it's just got to be a Hummer.

What size?

Are you going to try and force a broach and slide sideways down the face of a breaking wave to test the Calkin's Bartender legendary seakeeping qualities :eek:

We’ll be building a 26. If I wanted to test Calkin’s design, I’d build a 22. :socool:

I have the opposite view on boat size. The bigger the better. With a big boat you're safer in the ocean, get a better ride, are more comfortable and so on. I have no problem docking by myself, but sometimes wait for better conditions. Besides with a big boat, you've room for a house keeper/cook. And when she leaves, you don't loose your home and there's no alimony or child support.

I have no special issue with Camanos or most other boats.

I just like to poke back when someone says they are the perfect boat.....they are not.

They might be the perfect boat for someone or specific uses, but generally not for the vast majority of boaters or how they would use their boat. So as long as one adds "....for me"....all is well and I agree. :D

Just like when someone says their boat is built like a tank, and then you show them cores cut from their sides and bottom that are about the same thickness as many smaller, inexpensive boats. :eek:

Psneeld
I certainly never said they are a “perfect boat”...look back..
In fact I said “there is no perfect boat...just perfect for individual needs”
All of our “needs” are different....

Nice to see an active thread ����

Lepke

Too funny on the alimony and child support.
The infamous “cut the home in half” to do a divorce settlement would sure sink a ship fast ??

Just thinking.....
Let really get this thread going...

What’s the best anchor? ����

Psneeld

When I bought this boat, it was perfect. I have spent big bucks on making it more perfect for the next owner.

Last edited:
Psneeld

Never said you did...see post number 2.

My main point is the smaller the boat, usually the bigger the compromises and more of them. Not for all boaters or their uses, but for many.

It gets harder and harder to decide what gets taken on cruises and what gets left behind or is constantky in the way because there is no good place to put it.

Last edited:
Old Dan
“When I bought this boat, it was perfect. I have spent big bucks on making it more perfect.”
Ain’t that a fact!!

Old Dan
“When I bought this boat, it was perfect. I have spent big bucks on making it more perfect.”

Ain’t that a fact!!

The electronics work fine but are 10 years old. I have to save something for the next owner. LOL

Dan,
Whad’ua think ... electronics is gonna get dry rot?

Dan,
Whad’ua think ... electronics is gonna get dry rot?

Eric, nope, no dry rot but, if I replaced them all today, when I sell the boat in 5 years , the next owner might complain about the outdated electronics.

JHANCE, May I ask who did the canvas work on your Camano. Looks like a nice way to go with the cockpit. Thanks, Milt

Read the whole thread with interest. The one point I did not see was that apart from the ease of handling a small boat is that a smaller boat should have way less systems that need fixing all the time , leaving more time for cruising, the fun part.
Warren.

Read the whole thread with interest. The one point I did not see was that apart from the ease of handling a small boat is that a smaller boat should have way less systems that need fixing all the time , leaving more time for cruising, the fun part.
Warren.

Totally agree, :flowers: Often symplicity provides a level of enjoyment. Example. I use a inexpensive note pad with free navigation apps. A inexpensive depth finder, free weather apps, and a small version radar. Finished off with a less than $200 dollar VHF and a SPOT contract.:thumb:
Not intending to upend those who invest in the extreme and understand the wherewith all involved. Like the simplicity indicated, I tend to think myself a simple man operating on the KISS theory of life.:angel:
Hence the small trawler syndrome.
:hide:

So true, and if you look on a commercial ship you will see way less navy gear than the typical yacht, but they do know how to us it!
I did many trips across the English Channel using dead reckoning navigation and only RF and no radio. Made it just fine.
As somebody said "sail the boat you can not the one you dream of"

The Camano is a neat boat.... for some....

But missing some major features for me:
Port side door (how the heck to you dock solo in a stiff wind?)
Galley level with solon
Stairs to flybridge, not steep ladder

And for a boat that size, would want an IO diesel or outboards so I could enjoy the shallow water and sandbar trips.

My Mainship is perfect "for me" for the current intended use, but my next boat will be
smaller and shallow draft, to get into local restaurants, islands, sandbars, etc.

However, we can all reserve the right to change our minds.

Yep, love the smaller boats. Our first was a 26' CC Cavalier cruiser. Plenty of room for two 28 yr olds back then. But now 34 yrs later we are planning for the loop, and with two married children and many, many good friends - all of whom will be spending weeks/months with us on the loop. Now, bigger is better, ie two, or three cabins, two heads, covered sundeck:hide:.....:thumb::thumb:

and room to store lots more than the basics....

Does the Camano have a wet head? If so, that would be a deal breaker for me.

Does the Camano have a wet head? If so, that would be a deal breaker for me.

If the Camano has one stall shower and one wet head, I would encourage you to disable the shower in the wet head. (take the shower head and hose off, hide them or lose them over the side.) If your guest do not like it, they dont have to go with you. Wet heads are a bear to clean and your guests will never clean it to your standards.

Even a dedicated shower stall is a headache, but less than a wet head.

Even a dedicated shower stall is a headache, but less than a wet head.

Ah yup still a headache but you gotta shower somewhere if you go out in public. If the dog and or cat refuse to sit with you, time to shower. LOL

Yep, love the smaller boats. Our first was a 26' CC Cavalier cruiser. Plenty of room for two 28 yr olds back then. But now 34 yrs later we are planning for the loop, and with two married children and many, many good friends - all of whom will be spending weeks/months with us on the loop. Now, bigger is better, ie two, or three cabins, two heads, covered sundeck:hide:.....:thumb::thumb:

We make a lot of five foot itis or whatever we choose to call it. However, much of the changes in sizes are simply a matter of going through life stages. Small is good to start. Then we seem to need more. Then it seems we reach the point that returning to smaller makes sense. We do the same in houses. Most of us start in apartments and then when we're old many return to condos.

I only hit as high as 30' on my fifth boat.

The original Camano had a wet head...
The new Helmsman redesign has a dry head with vanity and a totally separate shower stall.

Confused, Our boat has what you folks are calling a 'Wet Head' I guess, as the two, commode and shower share the same space. Our walls are formica, after a shower, a simple wipe down of the walls no more than a minute one would suppose, and check to see that the t/paper remained dry which is the case due to location. No big deal on the
'Slo~Belle', in fact another attribute to our boat when space utilization is in play.

A dedicated shower stall requires less wiping down of various surfaces such as the toilet as well as cleaning-solution containers handily kept aside a "dry" toilet.

Back
Top Bottom