Winter maintenance....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TowLou

Vessel Name
Bassey
Vessel Make
17' Bass
Figure id toss up what im doing to my lil baby.

Well we had a heavy rain fall few weeks back. I woke up to a picture from a neighbor said Bassey sank. Crap. Called a friend he got he pumped out for me.

Now the starter turns like poop. I blew the water out of the bottom 2 cylinders and i sprayed some penetrant lube in there. So since I never pulled the carbs the 5 years I've had her its time to along with the impeller and lower end change. I may have lost spark to when I tried real fast grounding out a spark wire. Ill worry bout that come spring or if we have the beginnings of a mild winter.

Today pull starter and carbs ill clean em out at work.

For some reason can't post pics here id show her half sunk and the beginning of my 1977 70hp johnson maintenance. Been a great motor to me. Always started until well she sunk my fault for not checking in the pouring rain.

Picture of my lower cyl using this bore a scope i saw online to use with my phone. Was only 25 bucks or so. Trying to figure it out postimg pictures on here may have to use the laptop later..

Got the carbs and reed plate or whatever its called out drained a little more water from the lower end of the crankshaft. Sprayed the heck out of it and the cylinders again. Next clean carbs and reed plate and check out starter tonight. If dead during the week ill have her together then if not the weekend and one last blast around the lake then. 2017-11-14-15-48-39.jpg

Put her all back together and Bassey is alive again. Not even 5 seconds cranking and she will be set for next season.

Nice when things work out well to a plan.

Did you fix her so she won't (or is less likely) to sink again?

The bilge wiring will be new in the spring. That and a low battery voltage I suspect was what happened. Only charged the battery 1 time this summer. It's always that one heavy long rain that drains the battery. I know 1 battery...... be better with a second....

Back
Top Bottom