Transmission Fluid 101

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstbase

Guru
Vessel Name
Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42' Classic
Prev. owner used Napa Dexron III/Mercon fluid in Borg Warner Velvet Drives. "Don't use anything else". So I am looking for a couple of quarts for backup but can't find it. Apparently not produced anymore, something about legal issues in the name or some such. I see other brands of Type 3 fluid, Mercon. Should I just move over to a new brand? Any negative effect by adding this new brand on top of the previously poured Napa without a total change? What's a guy to do?

I would ask my NAPA parts store for what is identified as the direct replacement for that product.

Is the problem with the NAPA branding or with the Dexron brand.
If it's NAPA then simply find another supplier of DEXRON 111. It is, to my last knowledge, common as fleas on a mutt.

Don't be locked into NAPA. Napa does not make the oil, they just have it branded from an oil supplier like the ones below.

The stuff has to meet minimum specs.

Just choose a major oil supplier such as Shell, Chevron, Penzoil, Quaker and so on.

Personally I don't like mixing brands but if the new oil meets the specs it should do just fine.

Last edited:
Even Dexron VI is getting pretty old in the design life. 2005! Its more shear stable during its life than III, and basically, I see no reason not to use it in your VD. I had VD with 350Hp driving them up to 4400rpm input. I changed VD fluids every other year, and these things just are not critical. The oil pump is not picky, the pistons are primitive, and it is just not a high tech, picky assembly. There are folks driving over 800Hp into these with only minor changes.

You can get Dexron 3 from Valvoline, Pennsoil or Mobil at Wally World.

Or do like a few of us renegades and run ND 30wt motor oil in the VD tranny..... :)

Thanks folks. I'm guess I am putting too much in the Napa name and not the Dexron III which is what I should buy if I want to stay the same. Any major brand of Dexron III. I guessI can assume that adding, for example, Penzoil Dexron III on top of the NAPA is of no consequence.

What ever you choose change it ALL!

Different ATF like engine lube oils use different chemistry to create their produce.

Choose one , get a case .

What ever you choose change it ALL!

Different ATF like engine lube oils use different chemistry to create their produce.

Choose one , get a case .

Thanks. Haven't changed the gears yet (or the engines for that matter) or added fluid but my understanding is that they have to be changed twice in a row as you can't get all of it out/drained at once due to the design. Don't even know how much fluid they hold. Imagine it is 3 qts or so but will look it up when I get to that point.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom