Just a little BC moment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Ken,

We did see you at Handfield. Also anchored in Dry Pass on the west side of PofW, IIRC. Met you first at Port McNeill, spring 2016, on our way toward rounding Cape Caution on our first trip north in Dream Catcher. And yes, she does roll some.

Thanks for the response. I do remember your boat in Dry Pass, El Cap channel summer before last. I was envious of your choice of anchorage location in there. I was too shallow and it bugged me enough to eventually move. We anchored in your spot this last summer. We're heading for Sitka next summere. Are you heading up that way?

Northern BC

Dolphins have fun of the Bow, near PR,
Lighthouse off of Dudus Island,
Khutze Inlet,
Just outside of Klemtu
Sunrise over Fury Cove
Lucky me at Lagoon Cove

Attachments

• IMG_8077.jpg
    IMG_8077.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_8090.jpg
    IMG_8090.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_8123.jpg
    IMG_8123.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_8219.jpg
    IMG_8219.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_8358.jpg
    IMG_8358.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 115
No doubt SE Alaska and the west coast BC offer dramatic scenery and interesting anchorages. Little wonder I visit most every couple of years (via ship).

The west coast of Campania Island, north coast BC, west of Hartley Bay and the Inside Passage.

Photo 1) Badger anchored all alone in McMicking Inlet.

Photo 2) McMicking Beach, Campania Island.

Photo 3) The southernmost basin in Betteridge Inlet, Campania.

Photo 4) Sigh...the Estevan Group west of Campania. Maybe next summer. There is an uncharted, narrow, twisting waterway that from its westernmost basin it looks like you could easily walk to beautiful beaches...

Attachments

• McMicking Inlet, Campania Is.jpg
    McMicking Inlet, Campania Is.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 110
  • McMicking Beach, Campania.jpg
    McMicking Beach, Campania.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 106
  • Betteridge Inlet.jpg
    Betteridge Inlet.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Estevan Group.jpg
    Estevan Group.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Anchorage behind Ahclakerho Islands, off Smith Sound
AhclakerhoAnchorage.jpg

Whale, Broad Reach near Ahclakerho Islands
AhclakerhoWhale.jpg

Kayaking the Ahta River Shallows, Bond Sound
AhtaShallows.jpg

Sagar Lake Beach, Codville Lagoon
SagarLake2.jpg

West Beach, Calvert Island.
The open pacific in the background
WestBeachCalvertIsland.jpg

Eucott Hotsprings pool,
Eucott anchorage in the background
EucottBayHotSprings.jpg

Pryce Channel, West Redonda Island,
Looking east to the Coast Mountains.
PryceChannel.jpg

Gowlland Harbour moonrise, Quadra Island.
GowllandHarbour.jpg

Potts Lagoon morning,
West Cracroft Island.
PottsLagoon.jpg

Alert Bay foreshore.
AlertBay.jpg

Alert Bay. The old and the new.
AlertBay2.jpg

Robson Bight, Johnstone Strait.
RobsonBight.jpg

North central Queen Charlotte Strait,
Off Percy Island.
QueenCharlotteStrait.jpg

Last edited:
I have to spend more time farther up the coast. Some spectacular spots , thanks for the share guys.
As a kid spent a lot of time playing in Sannich inlet. Skiing in todd inlet and fishing .
Love the pics. Keep em coming please. I cant be the only guy enjoying them.

Me too! Talk about a great place to grow up. I'm sure we probably know some of the same people

We're heading for Sitka next summere. Are you heading up that way?

Hi Ken,

Yes I plan to be wandering around up there as usual. Due to other things going on, have not yet considered itinerary or schedule, but so far have always included Sitka.

AF1QipOfN_2ADRTnSinb52KYcIyc1kdRIv_xeOoZKY3Z
tOPTitzIhU090cgLQcsMGNOU66doI-4ZEY3Kznbb5Ejg_hFnSQlGOyKIZsG2ER-2gzzE4zBzPJbk7UXFyvFZnTD5Sm6dfur4BIcRNzZ5AC2LCffn6cJrQXYQikjLBKq3SmMJxVqbvWT8bONnzJZmmOA2ZJDaZ2JolFx3p9-m7Ze0pVGh_w-1mr_2V3PeE6d5WHvM6tfZtljr6NK_1JSymWHTBQqhg3gt6Q2BT5tZVv3i2PKTXvZbru-HTrTBnBbhdcGAXGSK-OESVoGj4xdHmgCJK4WIaEZrtHzdJIMMaTXhtSSpCw_7fb7s_aHTgK_ZbuNTPqtw2f5ylOElK3mOCNBy5d14ozz0Cd7nip_JOTlgm89KJ2g95Uq8AKnNucPKF9WQVg9jRu0aqt3dnOLvgrRgXVllaZ5-UoP3hp1zKPGSFGKB5zM4VhLL6UF13S2mW5hdI_i1zDlRIaoyFL5yUXsJoA6gMEwelq09SnXTOOCP1fqhx9C4gDprKmdnlKLN0HTmd_3qlbPPuiHZusLRljZXiDvA4M2_sJpEizb0m0bKTwf5FOVSo3GxC8p2YVcnckPrGyDQ6akaDQewEYLmOe1spU_88PcDOKG2Ar-Us6p5rvoENi8pIJWwx_SUrQ6QzC9CjxrApju6AEb02QjAS-nNetIpCILplqA=w708-h943-no

AF1QipOfN_2ADRTnSinb52KYcIyc1kdRIv_xeOoZKY3Z

Last edited:
Geez you guys! If it weren’t for the 50 kts winds up there this time of year, it makes me want to be there right now!

Off Howe Bay, south Kunghit Island Haida Gwaii, as we prepare to round Cape St. James:
Kunghit 3.jpg

Kunghit 7.jpg

Kunghit 8.jpg

SGgang Gwaay
SGang Gwaii 6.jpg
SGang Gwaii 7.jpg

And I’ve got an Okisollo shot too!
Upper Rapids Okisollo.jpg

Sweet

Bamfield , West coast Vancouver island.

Attachments

• cruisin 09 078.jpg
    cruisin 09 078.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 116
  • cruisin 09 076.jpg
    cruisin 09 076.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 111
  • cruisin 09 082.jpg
    cruisin 09 082.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 118
  • cruisin 09 081.jpg
    cruisin 09 081.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 123
  • cruisin 09 080.jpg
    cruisin 09 080.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 121
More in No BC.

1. Just SW of Porcher Is. in Hecate Straight.
2. Entering Ire Inlet on Anger Is.
3. I think this was taken in FryPan Bay.Entering Ire Inlet on Anger Is.
4. Entering Patterson Inlet to anchor for storm.
5. Just So of Porcher Is. in Hecate Straight.

Attachments

• DSCF0341 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0341 copy 2.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCF0353 copy.jpg
    DSCF0353 copy.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCF0386 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0386 copy 2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCF0362 copy.jpg
    DSCF0362 copy.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCF0338 copy.JPG
    DSCF0338 copy.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 93
Spy,
What's the scoop on that hull deformation near the bow?

Spy,
Look at the pics in the link “get west” as in post #49. Look at the automatic changing cover pics at the top and look at the hull in the pics underway.
I saw a blurb in the text about replanking that probably brought this about. She’s doubble planked in fir.
Interesting to me that they have two 268 Cleveland engines w the blower in the front (on the end) of the engine. My father had a 100’ boat w this 500hp engine.

Last edited:
Spy,
Look at the pics in the link “get west” as in post #49. Look at the automatic changing cover pics at the top and look at the hull in the pics underway.
I saw a blurb in the text about replanking that probably brought this about. She’s doubble planked in fir.
Interesting to me that they have two 268 Cleveland engines w the blower in the front (on the end) of the engine. My father had a 100’ boat w this 500hp engine.

Looks like she’s hogged to me. When I get home I’ll check my
photos of her.

Edit: google search found this on flicker.IMG_0238.jpg Uchuck in the yards in Victoria.

Last edited:
Oh yes.
Quite out of shape.
May be quite safe though.
Wonder if it’s enough to compromise directional stability?
Probably yes but not enough to worry about as evidenced by her current use hauling people.

The head of Douglas Channel, taken from 'the viewpoint' in Kitimat after 7.5 feet of snow fell in two days.

Kitamaat means "People of the Snow" in the local Haisla First Nations language, and for good reason. We're 60 miles from open water and pretty much surrounded by mountains, so our winter temperatures are colder than both Prince Rupert and Ketchikan to the north.

These huge dumps of snow occur when cold northerly outflow winds funnel down the valley from the interior of BC (cold air is dense so it hugs the valley floor) while warmer moisture laden storms come over top from the southwest.

You can see a line on the mountains, a couple hundred feet above the valley floor, where it rained at higher elevations but snowed like crazy lower down.

The snowflakes can get so big here that when you catch one on your tongue, it doesn't melt, so you have to chew it away :D

Attachments

• Viewpoint Snow Sunset.jpg
    Viewpoint Snow Sunset.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Murray,
Inverted snow storms?
Then does a cold spell or warm spell follow?

Murray,
Inverted snow storms?
Then does a cold spell or warm spell follow?

You've heard of 'inversions' with regards to weather, right? Sometimes we get them and there's snow from the valley floor to halfway up the mountains, and absolutely no snow from halfway to the top. When you see it, and even if you know how it happens, it's still a visual head scratcher.

We haven't had an outflow cold snap yet this year.

I've been here more than five decades...there are no normal weather patterns, so I can't answer your question!

Murray, you posted some pictures earlier of the Gardner Canal area. I can see from the chart that its general topography is a deep trench. Are there any anchorages in there that you use or would recommend? How's the salmon fishing in there?

Murray, you posted some pictures earlier of the Gardner Canal area. I can see from the chart that its general topography is a deep trench. Are there any anchorages in there that you use or would recommend? How's the salmon fishing in there?

The best resource I've found for our local waters is Exploring The North Coast of British Columbia:

https://www.amazon.ca/Exploring-North-Coast-British-Columbia/dp/0938665804

They give good, up to date descriptions of the many side channels, inlets, and bays on Douglas Channel including places with sneaky/dangerous entrances like Foch Lagoon near Kitimat and Kiltuish Inlet in Gardner Canal.

One word of warning for boating in these waters...the main channel was recently surveyed for an expected increase in large ships, but the rest of the area was charted about 90 years ago. Was talking to one sailor who was in the Gardner Canal area and anchored according to the chart, but woke up on the hard; there was so much sediment carried down from the mountains that the tidal flats had extended significantly since it was charted. This makes anchoring interesting. Tides can be over 20 feet which leaves scant room for scope, swinging on the anchor, and the approaching bottom at low tide.

Just after entering Gardner Canal is Triumph Bay, which has a nice cascading waterfall at its head. We opted to stern tie in a small notch as opposed to anchor near the head of the bay because the winds were strong coming from up the valley. The bottom in the whole area (near creeks and at the head of channels) typically has a gradual slope to about 60 feet, then descends rapidly to over 100 feet. This means you should set your anchor "up hill" and keep an eye on currents and winds which threaten to pluck the anchor off the bottom if they are perpendicular to the slope.

There is a mooring bouy at Europa Hot Springs, just west of Europa Point. My personal favourite of the three hot springs in the area.

Bish Creek, about 1/2 way down Gardner on the north shore, is an amazing place. Doesn't look like much from a distance, but unfolds beautifully as you enter the small bay.

We've gone past Kemano a bit, but have been saving the Kitlope for when we can spend several weeks in there.

Our goal is to have a storm anchor with 100 feet of chain and 600 feet of rope. That would solve many of the anchoring logistics!

Early spring can be "buggy" so mid to late summer is recommended.

We don't fish much so can offer no advice other than to say we haven't seen people trolling in Gardner, but the place is crawling with Grizzlies, so the salmon are there...

Last edited:
Murray: This summer we met a nice couple in Kitsaway Anchorage who were heading up Gardner Canal. They’d been up there several times and it was a favourite of theirs. He’s an avid fisherman who had caught a couple of coho off Gill Island that day. He mentioned that fishing in Gardner Canal was not the best. Not sure if that was timing or not.

Our schedule was getting tight so didn’t follow them up there, but we hope to go up there in the near future. That, Roscoe Inlet and Spiller Channel.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom