1971 GB32 Interior Wood and Plumbing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThreadLock

Hi Guys,

I bought me a 1971 GB32 Sedan and I'm going to tackle a few interior jobs during this winter. I was wondering if anyone knew what wood was used to for the finishing elements of the trim?

Also, Did all 1970s GB32s come with plastic plumbing in those days?

Regards and Respect to all...

Kelvin

Having sailed and owned 3 woody GBs (32'-50') I have only seen teak used as a finish trim and only copper originally used on the water supply. I don't remember what was used on the sink drains.

Tator

Thanks Tator... I figured it was teak... Is there an alternative to this or will I have to try and source? Bit difficult over here in Ireland.

Also, all of my pipe work is hard black plastic with bronze fittings... Is that possible on a 1971 GB?

Our 1972 fresh water plumbing is all black plastic with bronze fittings. The wood trim is all teak. With some careful color matching you can stain mahogany to almost match.

Not sure if cherry wood is available to you, but I have used it many times for cabinets in teak interiors. Sometimes a little stain is needed. I have found most species of mahogany too grainy and reddish.

Tator

Cherry and teak seem to mix quite well for me. Here is a boat I completely gutted and rebuilt some years ago. Nearly all trim/molding pieces are teak and all plywood bulkheads are cherry. All of the teak and cherry were only top coated with satin poly/varnish - no stain.

Attachments

• duringoverallaft.jpg
    duringoverallaft.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 111
  • duringoverallfwd.jpg
    duringoverallfwd.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 107
  • duringwindows.jpg
    duringwindows.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 113
  • finishedaft.jpg
    finishedaft.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 123
  • finishedfwd.jpg
    finishedfwd.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 122
  • finishednavoverall.jpg
    finishednavoverall.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 122
  • finishedgalley.jpg
    finishedgalley.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 123
  • undersail.jpg
    undersail.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 128
Cherry and teak seem to mix quite well for me. Here is a boat I completely gutted and rebuilt some years ago. Nearly all trim/molding pieces are teak and all plywood bulkheads are cherry. All of the teak and cherry were only top coated with satin poly/varnish - no stain.

This rebuild inspires me. Fantastic job. Very tasteful.

Have to say... Very tasty work there...

Meranti looks much like teak but is about as indigenous to UK/Ireland as teak.

Back
Top Bottom