Old 12-03-2017, 05:31 PM   #16
psneeld
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg86 View Post
I understand that, but don't you agree you have to at least try to find the owners? I fully understand most of the time you can't find the owners, either the boat was in a corporation that went under or the last owner they can find that was linked to that vessel "sold it years ago." We're facing the same problem.

You'll never recover the costs of removing abandoned vessels, they're abandoned for a reason. What are the alternatives? Let them stay and sink? Put a notice in the paper saying "FREE TO A GOOD HOME!"?

My theory behind the auction is maybe the boat salvage yards will buy the boats so they can strips parts off and resell them. Will it work? No idea, but it can't be any worse than now.
The trick is to get someone to get the ball rolling before the derilict becomes a salvage. Once that far.....the costs skyrocket.

So, can it be worse than now? Depends on who pays for it I guess...and where that money comes from.

Every man minute spent by city governments is accountable...yeah I know, but if tbey are searching for owners or coordinating removals, those guys arent doing some other function...who cares but us or the place where the boat washed up? Not the mayor, city council or most in that building.

There seems to be little intetest from salvage yards or any salvage company...profits are eaten up by disposing of the rest.

Cant say free to a good home until legitimately abandoned and thats the rub too, not many laws really cover that clearly enough...but cities are catching on.

If it was easy or cheap, it would be happening.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote