Okeechobee, where to stop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdud133

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Anegada da Vida
Vessel Make
1979 Mainship 34 mk1
We will be travelling the Okeechobee next week. We are going east to west in a 7.5kt boat. Where should we schedule our stops along the way?

We usually anchor on the east side of ortona lock in front of the hurricane spillway when going westbound. The next night would be FM, or FMB.

Last edited:
Roland Martin Marina in Clewiston (west side of the lake) is a popular choice but we like the municipal dock at Moore Haven (just west of the Moore Haven lock). Adam’s Lounge there has GREAT steaks and burgers.

LaBelle has free docks and easy walk for restaurants and food

Stop at the city docks that meridian stated (up to 3 days free, 50 amp and water) in LaBelle call Mexi-Texi for a +/-$2/person ride to Jim’s Steakhouse, old Florida local establishment, great service and delicious food!

Indiantown Marina, a couple of good restaurants Guatemex an JR’s BBQ, a bit of a walk from the marina, but doable! Enjoy the trip!

"LaBelle has free docks and easy walk for restaurants and food"

And wi fi at the library that is within spitting distance.

Some folks can pick it yp in a slip, others have to go over to the provided tables.

We are located before the Ortona Lock so if you have need of a table saw , drill press or other tools , stop by .

PM for phone #.

Take the rim route. The water is very high now and it was an interesting breeze in our 43 footer with 4 foot draft. Could have carried 6 feet through easily. Anchor in South Bay and watch the alligators. Here is my FB post about it.

Shortly after going through a HAND CRANKED swing bridge:
Bow pushed up firmly into the vegetation.
Depth sounder showing over 9 feet.
Backed up a couple of boat lengths and anchored in 20+ feet.
Ashes from cane field fires falling like light snow.
This is a weird and beautiful place.
Drank beer in the hot sun with no one watching us except two alligators cruising around checking out the boat.

23621723_10208096790897980_9076824817555209305_n.jpg

I've made this trip several times. Each time we split the trip in LaBelle. That has been the best place to stop each time.

All good advice posted. I suggest checking Active Captain for reviews of each of these stops and others.

I would have liked to take the rim route but the water was too low when we made the trip.

Be aware that the lock "masters" will not lock you through if you arrive after 4:30 depsite the fact they are posted as closing at 5.

I spent the night on the dolphins outside of Moore Haven when I arrived a few minutes after 4:30.

Stop at the city docks that meridian stated (up to 3 days free, 50 amp and water) in LaBelle call Mexi-Texi for a +/-$2/person ride to Jim’s Steakhouse, old Florida local establishment, great service and delicious food!

Indiantown Marina, a couple of good restaurants Guatemex an JR’s BBQ, a bit of a walk from the marina, but doable! Enjoy the trip!

At Indiantown Marina they will call the Italian Resturant to come pick you up and after they will drop you off. Really nice folks and good food!

Take the rim route. The water is very high now and it was an interesting breeze in our 43 footer with 4 foot draft. Could have carried 6 feet through easily. Anchor in South Bay and watch the alligators. Here is my FB post about it.

Shortly after going through a HAND CRANKED swing bridge:
Bow pushed up firmly into the vegetation.
Depth sounder showing over 9 feet.
Backed up a couple of boat lengths and anchored in 20+ feet.
Ashes from cane field fires falling like light snow.
This is a weird and beautiful place.
Drank beer in the hot sun with no one watching us except two alligators cruising around checking out the boat.

23621723_10208096790897980_9076824817555209305_n.jpg

This isn’t the forum for it but,... I wish they would kill the practice of burning off the cane fields. It can’t be healthy, and it makes a hell of a mess of everything. The Australians have figured it out.

." I wish they would kill the practice of burning off the cane fields."

Agree , there is a sensor somewhere that knows when a can of varnish or paint is being opened!

In the past the cane was harvested and Celotex and other wallboard was manufactured from the harvest.

Labor and fuel were cheaper then , but automating would seem easy.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. We were anchored in Stuart to begin our journey on the Okeechobee. Our original plan was to stop in Indiantown and then go route 1 over to Moore Haven. Indiantown was booked so we took the Rim Route to Pahokee. The marina there is such a dump but it could be so much better. From there we went to Moore Haven and the city docks. They were better but the bathrooms and showers were awful. After Moore Haven we cruised to the Fort Myers Yacht Basin. This is a nice place.

We really enjoyed the Rim Route. It was well protected form the NE winds of 15mph and depths were not a problem. We are a 7.5 knot boat and this was a very good schedule for us. We never felt rushed to get anywhere before the end of the day.

We did encounter the ash from the cane field burnings. We did not know what it was at the time but it was messy.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. We were anchored in Stuart to begin our journey on the Okeechobee. Our original plan was to stop in Indiantown and then go route 1 over to Moore Haven. Indiantown was booked so we took the Rim Route to Pahokee. The marina there is such a dump but it could be so much better. From there we went to Moore Haven and the city docks. They were better but the bathrooms and showers were awful. After Moore Haven we cruised to the Fort Myers Yacht Basin. This is a nice place.

We really enjoyed the Rim Route. It was well protected form the NE winds of 15mph and depths were not a problem. We are a 7.5 knot boat and this was a very good schedule for us. We never felt rushed to get anywhere before the end of the day.

We did encounter the ash from the cane field burnings. We did not know what it was at the time but it was messy.

We went to Moore Haven this trip. We like the docks there and have never checked out the bathrooms or showers. I've read negative comments about the showers before though. I'd suggest speaking to them at City Hall. That's where you pay and it's right there. Register your comment.

I don't know if the problem is boaters or if it's locals or if it's just failure to clean.

"ride to Jim’s Steakhouse, old Florida local establishment, great service and delicious food!"

Have been here almost 25 years and never heard of Jims" Steakhouse.

There is a "Don's Steak" house but the bride and I agree
, after traveling the world it holds the record for the worst food and service , anywhere .

Even French waiters were better.

Perhaps Jim's , if it can be found is great , but Don's is to be avoided.

Right next to the Moore Haven dock is another "marina" (dock). The dock is lower to the water and the same price and looked to be in better condition so we tied up there. There is a box with envelopes to put your money in so we did. There are supposed to be restrooms, showers and a pool.

Well, we found the restroom (singular) but it was locked. There was a motel with a pool but the pool gate was locked.

After walking the dog, a lady came over and said she lived in the motel and watched over the "marina" for the owner. She said she would unlock the restroom and we could use the pool.

The restroom and shower was a dump and a long walk across dirt and grass. I used it but my wife chose not to. It was too late to try the pool.

And, we didn't find any restaurant so we ate on the boat. We never found the ice machine either.

And, we didn't find any restaurant so we ate on the boat. We never found the ice machine either.

I had to ask in the city hall (we paid there since we were at the city dock). Walk past the library, under the highway, and turn left. Anglers Reef is a block away, a Mexican restaurant (haven’t tried it) 2 blocks.

On our last trip through from Indiantown, we left late so also ended the day in Pahokee. Interesting experience but a dump for sure. It looked as if the large city marina investment may have been part of a major plan to become a competitive stop on the lake, but the majority of the marina had a thick coat of bird crap on it, and no electric (at least none switched on). We enjoyed the rim route very much and plan to do it again.

Back
Top Bottom