Need boat hauler, Idaho to Montana, for steel 15 ton Buehler 38' Coot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill & Stella

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
SEZ HU
Vessel Make
Buehler 38' COOT
Planing a cruise across the U.S. from the PWW, spring departure, to Florida, fall arrival (don't laugh, its my first vacation in 60 years). Anybody on TF done this?

Any suggested boat hauler, ramp launch and pickup, for a 15 ton, 38 X 13 X 13 foot Buehler Coot from Lewiston ID to Fort Benton MT (425 miles)? No luck on internet so far.

Not familiar with the route but looking it up on the internet seems to indicate there are 7 major dams without locks above Sioux City IA. Just wondering how you would get a 15 ton boat around those dams?

In 2014 I was considering a Willard 40 in Seattle Washington. To haul it to Florida, I had 2 companies choosen. One no longer hauls big boats and the other was Associated Boat Transport. Didn't buy the boat, so I've never used them. Just a place for you to start.

Ted

Not familiar with the route but looking it up on the internet seems to indicate there are 7 major dams without locks above Sioux City IA. Just wondering how you would get a 15 ton boat around those dams?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, Fort Benton was the head of navigation - in the 1800's!

Re-planing portage from Lewiston ID to Sioux City, Iowa.
1,305 miles, Light trafficVia US-12, I-90 E, 19 hr 30 min without traffic

Any suggested boat movers for this passage?

Any suggested boat movers for this passage?

If I were in your shoes, would either call some large yacht brokerage agencies or larger marinas for recommendations or use the transportation services of Yachtworld. TF has a few members who have had boats transported by truck but it seems to be a once or twice in a lifetime event. Also, it may be difficult to get someone interested 4-5 months in advance.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, Fort Benton was the head of navigation - in the 1800's!

Re-planing portage from Lewiston ID to Sioux City, Iowa.
1,305 miles, Light trafficVia US-12, I-90 E, 19 hr 30 min without traffic

Might want to read post #11 in this thread:

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/search-begins-15471.html

The poster states there is no travel lift at the marina in Sioux City and suggests Omaha is best.

You might be better off trucking to either Minneapolis and launching on the Mississippi or to Duluth and launching on Lake Superior. Two things you might want to keep in mind. First, both the Missouri and Mississippi flood in the spring and they can be full of debris. Second, it can still be very cold in Iowa and Minnesota. Boating season doesn't begin until May up there.

Back
Top Bottom