Heading South in October

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Egregious

Guru
Vessel Name
Polly P.
Vessel Make
Monk 36
I have the opportunity to head South from North Carolina this October.* I plan on stopping in Georgetown, McClellanville, Charleston, Beaufort, Savannah, and then... ?

I was thinking about going up the St. Johns river.* We are a casual couple who enjoy meeting strange and interesting people and we'll be travelling with two dogs who are well adjusted to the boating life.*

I guess I'm asking whether I should keep heading South on the ICW or make the trip up the river.* I don't get the idea from talking to cruisers at various marinas that we would enjoy S. Florida.*

Any thoughts are appreciated.* Thanks.

Woody

how much time, Woody?

Moonstruck wrote:
how much time, Woody?
*We have 8 weeks.* Which brings on the follow-up question: I don't plan on making this a round trip.* Heading back to NC in December might get a little cold, so I'd like to leave the boat in FL or GA until March.* Any suggestions on a marina or yard where a few months of storage won't break me?

Egregious wrote:Moonstruck wrote:
how much time, Woody?
*We have 8 weeks.* Which brings on the follow-up question: I don't plan on making this a round trip.* Heading back to NC in December might get a little cold, so I'd like to leave the boat in FL or GA until March.* Any suggestions on a marina or yard where a few months of storage won't break me?

*That changes everything.* South Florida is certainly doable with that much time.* There are sevral storage yards on the Okeechobee Waterway.* The first is at Indiantown which is even before going in to the Okeechobee Lake.* FF has mentioned that his neighbors may have a dock to offer at Ortona.* That is in fresh water.

Morehead City is about mile 200 so I figure you could cruise down making a few stops and even get as far south as the Keys.* Biscayne Bay is a great area.* Dinner Key Marna at Coconut Grove is a good choice.* We are planning on being at the Ft. Pierce City Marina for the season with cruises to various places.* Vero Beach is a great area for cruisers.

OK one vote for S. Florida.

I'm at SM 335 so any of those places are doable.* Thanks for the input!

So you know-it-alls have nothing more to say?* And you guys complain because every subject has been beaten to death?* What could be more interesting than "should I go up the St. John's River, the longest river in Florida...?"* C'mon people, I know someone out there has done this.* Otherwise I'll be the first, and that will be sad.

no.gif

I have not been on the St Johns (I believe the only river in the US which flows from South to North?) it is on my to do list. I have read trip reports by several boaters who have enjoyed the trip. I have been along the coasts of Florida and would say if I couldn't do both the river and South Florida I would do South Florida first and the river on another trip. The Okeechobee Waterway from Stuart to Ft Myers is a nice trip too, and the cruising grounds along the Gulf Coast are very nice.
Steve W.

Have not yet done the St. Johns'. However, it is on my short list. Having said that, I would do S. Fl.,simply because of the season, the opportunities and to be able to cross the O lake. The lake and the SW coast are well worth the effort.

Egregious wrote:
So you know-it-alls have nothing more to say?* And you guys complain because every subject has been beaten to death?* What could be more interesting than "should I go up the St. John's River, the longest river in Florida...?"* C'mon people, I know someone out there has done this.* Otherwise I'll be the first, and that will be sad.

no.gif
*Woody, no pictures of the St. Johns.* When I was in college I would take my little 8' plywood pram with a 3 hp air cooled Ted Williams outboard up some ot the clear rivers like the Wekiva to the springs.* It was other worldly.* Alligators were longer that my boat.

Here are some pictures of where we are probably headed to stay about a year or so.* We plan to base out of Ft. Pierce then cruise out of there.* You can't lose either way you go.

http://www.fortpiercecitymarina.com/Marina%20Gallery%201/index.html

A little video with info about the SW Coast of Florida.* Be sure to have your speakers on.
biggrin.gif

"

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Tuesday 27th of September 2011 11:19:55 AM

Thanks all!

I really appreciate your feedback.

The great thing about doing this is that we don't need to decide until we get there.* I like reccomendations and suggestions from boaters who have been there.* You know, local knowlege is the best kind!

Moonstruck wrote:
A little video with info about the SW Coast of Florida.* Be sure to have your speakers on.
biggrin.gif

"

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Tuesday 27th of September 2011 11:19:55 AM
*Very Funny, but not really applicable.* I know that Florda is where people go to die, but I'm busy living right now.*

Hi Woody,
I have cruised the St Johns extensively. We are currently at Isle of Hope, Ga and plan on leaving here the end of October then going to St Marys for Thanksgiving. After Thanksgiving we will head south down the St Johns to Sanford which is almost the navigable end of the river. It is a beautiful trip, especially once you get south of the Jacksonville. If you decide to go let me know and I will give you anchorages, marina information and places where you can safely leave your boat if you wish. Have a great day.

Jim

PS my avatar is at one of my favorite anchorages on the St Johns.

-- Edited by Jim Spence on Monday 3rd of October 2011 06:28:01 AM

In case anyone is interested...

Had both raw water pumps rebuild/replaced because I don't want to deal with repairs underway.* Then discovered a leaky exhaust elbow.* Managed to find one just in time to have everytthing done.* Cha-Ching, Cha Ching.* While we are at it my port injector pump is leaking just a small bit from the throttle linkage...* No prob, we will go anyway and get someone in Charleston to fix it.

Boat runs flawlessy through Wacca Wache, Georgetown, McClellanville, and down to Charleston.* I get the guy from Superior Diesel to look at the pump and it has to come out.* Took him maybe 2 hours to get it out, and all to replace a cracked O ring.* At this point I tell him just rebuild the entire thing since he has it out.

The newly repaired exhaust elbow is now leaking, so we have to overnight a fitting which won't arrive until Monday.* Well, if you got to be stuck Charleston is the place.* Nice people at the City Marina and plenty of things going on.

My wallet is getting thinner and I'm getting ready to start borrowing money from my parents.

Crusing is "boat repair in exotic locations" ?* Is Charleston "exotic" ?* Possibly.

Woody

Woody, we have hit a snag.* A grand daughter is in a play Nov 2.* That will put us in Hilton Head and leaving on the 4th or 5th.* Looks like you will be ahead of us.* We would like to anchor at Cumberland Island for a couple of nights.* If it is cold, maybe Fernandina City Marina for a couple of nights.*** We are going to try for a stop at Palm Coast to see Capt. Mike one night.* We will probably be to Fort Pierce by the 12th barring incidents.* We will keep up with your progress.

You are right.* If you are going to get stuck, Charleston is a great place.* The marine service guys I have used there have all been competent and honest.* I think that Charleston is so unique that it can be called an exotic place.

Woody, are you still in Charleston?

Sorry I have been away so long...

We have made it to Thunderbolt GA.* Geez this has been a wonderful trip so far, even with the repairs!

Dang, we were in Hilton Head last night, other than the tourists we didn't see much there.* Great harbour though and it was great to not have to*worry about current for once..

-- Edited by Egregious on Saturday 29th of October 2011 09:14:35 PM

Woody, If you get as far south as Miami, please stop by my store and say hello. I think you might enjoy a few days at the Sunset Harbor Marina on Miami Beach. It's a great base from which to explore Miami Beach. Dinner Key Marina or mooring field is a great Miami stop as well. Dinner Key is located in the Coconut Grove section of Miami and is just a short walk from some interesting shops and eating places.

We made it as far as St. Augustine FL. and still moving South.* We had an injector pump rebuilt in Charleston, and we managed to run over a crab trap buoy in West*BF Georgia, and then get hauled out at Two-Way Fish Camp to discover no damage to our running gear....* umm

We are having the time of our lives!

I think I know what I want to do with my life, because this is it.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Woody

Egregious wrote:
We made it as far as St. Augustine FL. and still moving South.* We had an injector pump rebuilt in Charleston, and we managed to run over a crab trap buoy in West*BF Georgia, and then get hauled out at Two-Way Fish Camp to discover no damage to our running gear....* umm

We are having the time of our lives!

I think I know what I want to do with my life, because this is it.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Woody
*Way to go Woody.* You've discovered "it".* It is what most people neverget to discover.* We just said good bye to some new cruising friends this morning.* They on a 44 DeFever headed for 6 months in the Exumas.* They finished stocking the boat at the farmers market next to the marina here.* They have enough food on the boat for seven months.*

St. Augustine is one of the great stops on the ICW.* Are you on a mooring a at the dock?* Enjoy it.* It is one of the best.

I am cleaning up, putting overs on, and getting ready to leave for home in the morning.* We are tucked in safely at Ft. Pierce City Marina, E Dock, Slip 7.* The name is not visible because both the stern and dinghy have sun covers on.* We are next to Last Mango.* The Farmers Market is every Saturday morning,and not to be missed.* Don't eat breakfast before you go.

Have a blast!

Yes indeed, this is "it."* Now sitting on the hook in Matanzas Inlet.* We decided to stay here another day since there is a nice beach for the dogs to run and the weather couldn't be better.* This is the polar opposite of being on the hook during the Nor'Easter that passed through last week.* But had it not been for that weather we never would have discovered St. Marys GA which was the only place we could find to get out of the weather.* Charming town filled with the nicest people.** Stay tuned.

We did the St. Johns as far as Palatka in 2010, while enroute to the Keys. Best 4.5 months I've ever spent. Ended up leaving the boat in Jekyll Creek for 3 weeks while we went back to PA to work. The St. Johns is an interesting trip that seems to get better & more scenic the further you go. Jekyll worked out well for us; cost was reasonable, folks real friendly & island was an interesting spot to tour. Some photos, etc are on our blog http://[url="http://blogspot.com"]www.scootersvoyage@blogspot.com[/url]. We're planning/hoping to do the trip again ion the fall.

-- Edited by chc on Saturday 10th of December 2011 08:19:59 PM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom