Good opportunity for someone!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Slow Lane
Vessel Make
2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
I just came across this Nordhavn 46 for under $200k! This could be an amazing deal for someone looking to get into a N46. It's pretty well equipped considering it's vintage (1989).

Okay, now the bad news...It had some hull damage from being dropped in boat yard and some wet deck issues!

I'm sure this boat could probably be snagged for $160k or so and then at that purchase price someone could drop another $75-100k into it and still be ahead of the game. So cool. Who's the brave buyer gonna be?? Maybe a TF member?

1989 Nordhavn 46 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Last edited:
I'm surprised it doesn't have a helm chair. For a long range cruiser to have nothing more than a leaning post seems surprising. Nice boat though.

Bit of a hot potato this one...they haven't had it for long. Write up mentions leak in the forward deck, but says nothing about horrendous leaks from every single window!

Still, if the hull was repaired properly and the price could be squeezed lower, someone with a full skill set with money & time aplenty, might be a worthy project.

A TF member is the first owner (when it fell off the jacks) who might add some insight...

Nordhavn

Looks like there is a fold away seat/perch.
That's a lot of boat. A lot of systems on board too.
Nice design with the full wraparound walkway and high bulwarks.Classic and timeless functionality.
Looks better than some of the more recent rather high windage version they make now.
Could be good value if the systems are fairly well sorted. The price obviously reflect work needs doing yet.
Shame the hull design needs stabilizers but that's a discussion for a different thread.
Cheer Warren

I know the folks that own that boat. Although I have never seen the boat,you can be assured that what ever repairs or up-grades he has done, they were done right.

Dream boat for me, but I’m short on the time and money aplenty. Having the wet deck in FL could be a mold problem, but the freezing NE could produce some more consequences. Still love to tackle it.

Cabin sides to be cored with Divinicell cross-linked foam

Does this mean water damage from leaking windows isn't structural, and is "limited" to interior paneling?

"Still, if the hull was repaired properly and the price could be squeezed lower, someone with a full skill set with money & time aplenty, might be a worthy project."

"if the hull was repaired properly" ,,,might be to purchase a replacement hull and transfer all parts.

Fixing unknowable damage for ocean work is a monster task.

I just came across this Nordhavn 46 for under $200k! This could be an amazing deal for someone looking to get into a N46. It's pretty well equipped considering it's vintage (1989).

Okay, now the bad news...It had some hull damage from being dropped in boat yard and some wet deck issues!

I'm sure this boat could probably be snagged for $160k or so and then at that purchase price someone could drop another $75-100k into it and still be ahead of the game. So cool. Who's the brave buyer gonna be?? Maybe a TF member?

1989 Nordhavn 46 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I do not know how much money they spent but, I am guessing it was more than the $185 they are selling it for. I know that boat. Seeing those photos was like revisiting the boat. All I can say is, that was my boat when it was dropped. Remember has a way of smoothing over the rough parts. For an instant, I actually considered rebuying the boat and then, I realize I am 10 years older. No longer do I "fold" as I did 10 years ago.
I cannot remember how much money I put into it but all the work I had done was top notch. I see many improvements I made.... They made even more improvements. The pilot house was a joy.

I am glad to see it is still 'alive'. It deserves a good life.

Last edited:
Hard to believe all that interior woodwork damage was just from falling over. It must have laid on its side in 6 feet of water for a couple of weeks.

Hard to believe all that interior woodwork damage was just from falling over. It must have laid on its side in 6 feet of water for a couple of weeks.

Fell on the hard.

I didn't notice the new damage. Which window?
I do not like to look at the pictures, makes me sad

Yacht World pop ups really piss me off!

Gotta agree that this vessel has great potential, but the asking price is far too high for an insurance salvage Boat.

Please just tell me which window. I pretty much had that boat memorized.
It looks like half the windows have serious rot/water damage below and above. Most ceilings are covered by new plywood, no headliner. Galley cabinets show serious damage. No floors in the engine room, just loose plywood pieces. And then there is the ominous mention that the foredeck is soft.

I have been looking at Nordhavns but this type of damage from a simple roll-over gives me pause. It is possible the boat was damaged again by the storms earlier this year.

Hmmmm, sounds like extensive damage either as a result of the fall or some other event.

It appears all the electronics were upgraded. I will confess to spending more than $30K on the fwd stateroom rebuild. Sure did make my 'then' wife happy. I also put in a 12hp bow thruster. I think the original bow thruster was 5 hp.
They did not show a picture of the fuel polishing station.
Loved that fuel manifold. Took a while to figure it out but with the polishing station one could transfer fuel between the 4 tanks and also change out the returns.
They removed the TV cabinet in the salon, starboard side making the salon more roomie and added a diesel furnace.
The 3 A/C reverse cycle were new.
I had removed the fwd mast and someone else removed the aft mast. Guess they had low bridges to clear.
I sure am glad you folks are pointing all the areas needing attention. I am feeling better now.

I went back and looked at the pictures. I think some of the pics were some before (with the aft mast) and some after (without the aft mast). I am proud of the improvement they made.
Per the obvious discoloration around the windows, that can all be repaired but, at what cost.
I read the broker's comments and I will have to say, he/she wrote one of the most honest reports I read.
I still think she deserves more life.

Last edited:
I would love to know what The Leishman's would say about this boat! PAE and Nordhavn overbuilds everything. I'm sure this boat could be restored to her former glory.

However, I do find it odd that the current owners are selling after only 2 years. They must have had another accident or damage AFTER the boat yard fall. This old boat has been through some "interesting" times!

I would love to know what The Leishman's would say about this boat! PAE and Nordhavn overbuilds everything. I'm sure this boat could be restored to her former glory.

However, I do find it odd that the current owners are selling after only 2 years. They must have had another accident or damage AFTER the boat yard fall. This old boat has been through some "interesting" times!

Or, they fulfilled their dream or the wife said "enough" or perhaps the owner died?

I see the red tape is still on the one gage. I put tape on them for 'red line' RPM and temps.
If you look closely, you can see the red panel in the forward shower. There is another in the owner's shower. It reads, "Caution, hot water is hot."
So many time guests do not understand the hot water on a boat is actually very hot. Fewer screams after I posted those plaques.

We met the current owners last winter in Maryland. They're from Washington State. They brought the boat in Florida and cruised up the east coast. I assume they decided it was too expensive to ship her to the west coast so they put her up for sale.

When I look at the pictures, I shudder at the cost of keeping this boat afloat and in good repair... Way more than my wallet, that's for sure.....

Thing is none of us know what it needs, what it's true condition is at this moment. Someone who loves to gamble on reclamation projects would like it at half the asking price. Someone more conservative wouldn't touch it. Someone lacking knowledge is more likely to end up purchasing at 25% off the current asking price.

The problem is it might be a great buy but until fully repaired and on the water one will not really know.

Thinking of all they put into that N46, they could have bought a new of similar length.
Looking at the pictures, I see the cord I put on the wheel, for centering the rudder.
Thee used to be a 20KW gen in the engine room, glad they took it out. The engine room was very tight with the 20KW in it. The first owner wanted to run a dive compressor.
Like all of us, we cannot get out of out boat what we put into it, when we sell it. In this case, I know he had a money bucket ..... I hate to think what I put into it and then, his 'additions' was monumental. Prior to the drop, a trip to Mexico was planned. The boat was sound and ready to go.

Little lost on the timeline here. Was this boat dropped on the hard 10 years ago?

As per the brokers summary on the listing it says that the owners have been cruising on it for the past two years. So I'm assuming it doesn't need another massive amount of work done.

Thats why in my first post I put a ballpark figure of $75-100k for an after purchase repair bill. But who knows! I just cant imagine there being any earth shattering issues if they're cruising on it now......

As per the brokers summary on the listing it says that the owners have been cruising on it for the past two years. So I'm assuming it doesn't need another massive amount of work done.

Thats why in my first post I put a ballpark figure of $75-100k for an after purchase repair bill. But who knows! I just cant imagine there being any earth shattering issues if they're cruising on it now......

Looking at the pictures, I see a lot of inside leakage around the windows. It can all be repaired but, at what expense. I suspect all the windows will have to be removed and reset.
That was/is a very well equipped boat. Fill it up with 1000 gal of fuel, 500 gallons of water and you can go anywhere. I would recommend a water maker with a larger capacity than the one installed. It was 150gpd, 12 vt.
It had a cold plate and washer/dryer. I cant say for sure but, it looks like they removed the washer/dryer. The pics do not show the cedar line closet and drawers, in the forward stateroom nor the under berth storage. I had the fwd stateroom reworked to give my ex her own space. Approx cost, between $30K and $40K. Yup, got it at a reduced price but, it was redone by a A#1 cabinet maker who was moving into the boating world.
As I said, it was a well equipped boat and now, the current owner upgraded all the electronics too.
All the work I had done, was top rate (expensive). It looks like all the work he had done was top rate (expensive).
I suspect, if it weren't for the panel water damage, I suspect that boat would be sold. Let's face it, the hull was rebuilt to at least to Nordhavn's standards.
Hmmmm, there was a 8KW gen in the aft lazarette, I wonder if it is still there.
That boat really deserves many many years of 'wandering' around the ocean.
I miss it but, I have moved on. I dont need 2 staterooms if no one wants to go with me. SHRUG
Naturally, I would encourage any potential owner to have an 'intense' survey completed. If there are questions, survey again address the points of concern.

Last edited:
Little lost on the timeline here. Was this boat dropped on the hard 10 years ago?

Understand the settlement was confidential and I cannot go into detail beyond what the broker said. It was dropped in the yard. "Fell off the jacks." How long ago? Maybe 10 years maybe less but more than 5. I'd have to really think about it.
I think, in this case, the workmanship was proven by 2 years of cruising.
If I were looking to get into the Nordhavan market, I'd give serious consideration to buying it. It is not an endorsement just an option.
Get it surveyed, study the survey and if necessary get it surveyed again, addressing the points of concern.
I wish one or two of you folks, who live close, would go and visit the boat and report back to us. Realize, the windows can be removed and reset, interior panel can be replaced. While you are there, check and see if the washer/dryer is there and if the fuel polishing and transfer pump is still there. I will admit, the fuel oil transfer manifold takes some time to understand. Get a stool and a piece of paper, draw it out..... and study it.
I would not hesitate riding the boat to Bermuda and back. I am pretty sure the 1000 gallons would get you there but then, you would have to refuel for the return trip.
Once you get beyond the "this boat was dropped" syndrome, you just might fall in love with the boat. Once the suspect windows are removed and reset, and the obvious deck leaks are addressed, a good cabinet maker can replace all the damaged panelling.
That boat deserves a good life.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom