Listen-back for an arm and a leg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gabe n Em

Guru
Vessel Name
Volans
Vessel Make
2001 PDQ MV 32
Hi gang,
I can't seem to find what I want and I was hoping to poll the trawlerforum knowledge base.

I'm looking for a vhf that I can hook into the hailer with listen back capabilities. I don't need ais or integrated gps but it seems I have to pay for all the bells and whistles to get just this one. I'd love the standard horizon 2150 without ais but it seems this model doesn't exist (any more? ) the 2000 had a hailer/PA setup but no listen back.

I'm done shouting at the pilothouse windows when deploying/retrieving the anchor

Thanks for the help gang. Happy turkey day!

Maybe you could find a used dedicated PA on eBay. Good stuff like that comes on all the time. If you frequently use a PA I would not like to drill through the menus each time I want to use it.

Last edited:
You might be able to find used dedicated hailers pretty cheap. I had VHFs with the hailer function but preferred having the hailer be a stand alone, purpose-built, if anything to cut down on confusion when both needed using during the same period of time. We had a Standard Horizon hailer as well as two SH VHFs. The listen back works fairly well, but again not as good as other purpose-built person-to-person communication option.
As for VHFs, the replacement for the 2150 is the 2200 and it has listen back. Defender sells it for 349.

Cool stuff. Thanks Caltex. I can get a separate loud hailer for ~$170 new so used might be pretty reasonable. Hmmmm

you might also consider a handheld VHF with headset for the person on the bow. It might be less intimidating for them if not everyone in the anchorage can here the instructions.

you might also consider a handheld VHF with headset for the person on the bow. It might be less intimidating for them if not everyone in the anchorage can here the instructions.

I guess I missed the last sentence of the OP. We used simple hand signals during anchoring exercises.

We used the hailer when underway; our boat had a nice bench an sunpad forward of PH and FB that was a great place to be underway in good conditions. So it was a good way to communicate to folks up there. Another major use was to communicate to boats on the ICW who did monitor their VHF, primarily to advise of a pass. Also a few other times when helping fellow boaters in mild distress.

What might be handy is a hailer/intercom combo of sorts. So one can communicate outside and inside throughout the boat. Does something like this exist?
Or can these capabilities be found in a VHF.

Don't want a bunch of extra mics all over the place.

I just ordered a Standard Horizon VLH-3000A. It has 2intercoms, 2external PA outputs and an external speaker and listen back capabilities. We will see how it works after I get it installed.

I have a strange old Panasonic vhf on the fly bridge that has hailer and internal speakers for yelling at guests in the saloon. No listen back though. Otherwise I'd just put it in the pilothouse. Close but no dice. Maybe I'm just being too picky

I'm looking for a vhf that I can hook into the hailer with listen back capabilities.

Our ICOM 604s will do that. I dunno what brand/model the speaker is, though...

-Chris

Our boat also came equipped with a Charles C-Phone system with corded stations around the boat. Nice. But it eventually fell into disuse after I got a Panasonic cordless phone system that synchs with two cellular handsets via Bluetooth. You can electronically label each handset for very easy intercom function; very sweet set up.

Another major use was to communicate to boats on the ICW who did monitor their VHF,
Whoops, I meant DIDN"T monitor VHF.

Sound_Mirrors_1b.jpg

For talking to people outside of the flybridge, nothing beats two way Bluetooth headsets. We bought them before setting out for the Bahamas. We can converse at normal tone of voice, hearing everything first time. We used hand and arm signals before, but I can tell you, talking in normal tone of voice to the person on the deck has been really sweet.

Back
Top Bottom