Documentation Renewal Beware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill R.

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Cold Duck
Vessel Make
1996 Shannon Voyager
Not sure if this come up before.
I received a Courtesy Reminder to renew my documentation, so being a good soldier I renewed on line a few days later.
I received my new DOC in about 10 days --good service I thought but when I looked at the new expiration date it was November 30, 2018
My old DOC was January 31, 2018
They sent me a reminder 2 &1/2 months early and I lost 2 months of this years time.
When I called to say there was a mistake they said the DOC cannot be issued for more than a year. So why send out the notice 2 1/2 months ahead if you know it only takes 10 days to process !
In the past I was told from other boaters it could take months that is why I renewed when I did.
I have disputed the charge on my CC and will not let this drop as I am retired with plenty of time to pursue.
There are many ways they could have handled this, like a statement on the reminder that it usually takes 10 days to renew.

FYTW. In my business, the firm and individuals must carry numerous Fed/State certifications and acreditations, typically renewed on an annual basis. There are major penalties for operating beyond the exact expiration date, but the renewals are always dated to the date of the renewal application. So, if you're "law abiding" and apply for renewal early, knowing that "processing" takes an extended but indeterminant period of time, you always pay a premium. Goes right to their departmental bottom line.

I have one cert that I've maintained for more than 20 years. Its anniversary date has backed up nearly three years since issuance because of this practice.

Death and taxes .....

Bill: I know what you're talking about. We had a similar situation with the FCC. I received a notice that our VHF radio station license was up for renewal. I renewed on line and the new license date is 2.5 months earlier from the expiration date. The upside was I checked Lena's general class ham license status and it had expired last July. :facepalm: The good news, it was within the grace period so she could renew and her expiration date moved up 4 months with no penalty or retesting. :dance:

Last edited:
Yea, I almost made the same mistake, but, at the last minute, I decided to check and sure enough, I found this at the National Vessel Documentation Center FAQ:

MAY I RENEW MY DOCUMENT EARLY?

YES. The early renewal process, established in 1995 as a courtesy to owners unable to respond to renewal notifications during the scheduled expiration month have the option to renew early. Due to automated processing, submissions received more than 60 days prior to expiration will be issued with a new issue/expiration date, changing the vessel’s month of expiration and shortening the validity period of the current document.

Sometimes you just can't win:facepalm:

Yep, they screwed me too last month..

Dang... and I just did mine last week. Sent it back 3 days after I got it.

I renewed through the USCG web site, $ 26.00 and got the paper copy within 4 days. There is no reason to use those"services".

Not sure if this come up before.
I received a Courtesy Reminder to renew my documentation, so being a good soldier I renewed on line a few days later.
I received my new DOC in about 10 days --good service I thought but when I looked at the new expiration date it was November 30, 2018
My old DOC was January 31, 2018
They sent me a reminder 2 &1/2 months early and I lost 2 months of this years time.
When I called to say there was a mistake they said the DOC cannot be issued for more than a year. So why send out the notice 2 1/2 months ahead if you know it only takes 10 days to process !
In the past I was told from other boaters it could take months that is why I renewed when I did.
I have disputed the charge on my CC and will not let this drop as I am retired with plenty of time to pursue.
There are many ways they could have handled this, like a statement on the reminder that it usually takes 10 days to renew.

Disputing this credit card charge is a huge mistake. You received what you paid for, plus do you really want to jeopardize your documentation? All over the loss of $4.33?

And, for the record, their renewals are currently running 8 days. It's shown on their website. More reliable than other boaters in the past.

It's annoying, but certainly not a major issue. Not one worth a false credit card claim.

On CG Documentation certificate it says when it expires. My official reminder from CG arrives within last month. I ignore the other guys claiming service is available. Why pay so early? Kinda like magazine subscription renewals that start appearing 6 months early, I wait until last month for these.

As BB says, where's the beef?

Last edited:
On CG Documentation certificate it says when it expires. My official reminder from CG arrives within last month. I ignore the other guys claiming service is available. Why pay so early? Kinda like magazine subscription renewals that start appearing 6 months early, I wait until last month for these.

As BB says, where's the beef?

We set up all renewals and annual or repeat things on a calendar so we get reminders.

Renewal

Guys,
Thanks for the input, and I guess glasses are in order.
I thought the renewal reminder was from the Coast Guard but in my own defense one of my boating buddies recently did the same thing so when I saw $75 I was not suprised !

Paying more attention in the future,
Bill R.

Bill
Sorry it happened to you. You're not the first. Several threads have been on TF talking about this non CG service at 3X going rate.

Got the same non-CG "renual service offer". What PO'd me the most is; why our data is being given to non-government enenties without our approval?

Got the same non-CG "renual service offer". What PO'd me the most is; why our data is being given to non-government enenties without our approval?

Direct result of open records laws.

Did the same thing, just waited to get the USCG renewal form, sent it in, trashed the other garbage, no issues.

I renewed through the USCG web site, $ 26.00 and got the paper copy within 4 days. There is no reason to use those"services".

I renewed on line October 30th and I still am waiting for the Document. What’s up with that ???

Awaiting for reply on my CC dispute,

In North Carolina we now ( starting about three years ago ) need to pay to register and have stickers on the hull

I contacted NC and if I get a certificate of Declination of Documentation from the CG they will issue me a NC Title, proof of ownership.

I may consider that,
Bill R

LOL :) Actually I did, just used ancient terminology. That newfangled internet works fine too! Mostly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom