HELP....120 Ford Lehman heat exchanger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wallabyshane

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Gypsy Lee
Vessel Make
43 Cheoy Lee Motorsailer
Hey all,

I just purchased a new heat exchanger. It is a straight replacement or so everyone says HOWEVER, as you can see from the photos there are no holes to bolt it to my block. Ideas please? I can't just sit it there....or can I?

Attachments

• 20171122_194701.jpg
    20171122_194701.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 169
  • 20171122_194708.jpg
    20171122_194708.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 176
  • 20171122_194714.jpg
    20171122_194714.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 194
Mine are fastened with steel straps that are independent of heat exchanger. Lay/glue rubber on strapping for grip and drill holes on strapping to match existing bolt holes. Use new unit as pattern to bend straps nice and tight. Paint red to match.

I'm not near vessel so can't send picture.

Mine are fastened with steel straps that are independent of heat exchanger. Lay/glue rubber on strapping for grip and drill holes on strapping to match existing bolt holes. Use new unit as pattern to bend straps nice and tight. Paint red to match.

So kinda like the metal packing tape used around crates?

Shane, my heat exchanger was replaced some years ago here in Qld near the Gold Coast. Not sure how the parts were obtained, but I think via the fellow in Sydney who gets them in from American Diesel. I'll be down at the boat on the weekend, so I'll look and take pics of how mine was put back on. Must say I didn't take particular note at the time. However Sunchaser's suggestion would be your best bet, and probably how mine was done also. The hose connections themselves are quite supportive anyway, as long as the hoses themselves are not all old and soft, and it is merely those & the oil pipes that hold the smaller engine oil and tranny oil coolers are installed I think.

Shane, my heat exchanger was replaced some years ago here in Qld near the Gold Coast. Not sure how the parts were obtained, but I think via the fellow in Sydney who gets them in from American Diesel. I'll be down at the boat on the weekend, so I'll look and take pics of how mine was put back on. Must say I didn't take particular note at the time. However Sunchaser's suggestion would be your best bet, and probably how mine was done also. The hose connections themselves are quite supportive anyway, as long as the hoses themselves are not all old and soft, and it is merely those & the oil pipes that hold the smaller engine oil and tranny oil coolers are installed I think.
Perfect. I look forward to the pics. I think I'll have to go with that. Thank you both.

yes, what he said.
All my heat ex are held on with metal strap brackets SP135

I reinforced mine with large hose clamps. The bracket broke off, I had it re brazed, then added the clamps as insurance.
I believe clamps alone would suffice.

Here is a picture of mine on the Lehman 135 engine.

Attachments

• DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 153
Lehman 120

Attachments

• 5A8D444E-C4B9-43DA-9E8D-36366D3B17C4.jpg
    5A8D444E-C4B9-43DA-9E8D-36366D3B17C4.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 145
The parts to install the generic HE should all be available from American Diesel.

I`m sure American Diesel or whoever supplied the new HX will know the mounting brackets, but wouldn`t it be quicker and easier to get some made locally.They are just metal straps.
The FL 135 is the "Super" version, 15 more hp. A different injector pump needed less frequent oil changes.

I`m sure American Diesel or whoever supplied the new HX will know the mounting brackets, but wouldn`t it be quicker and easier to get some made locally.They are jufor your help.st metal straps.
The FL 135 is the "Super" version, 15 more hp. A different injector pump needed less frequent oil changes.

Will definitely be quicker and easier as I'm in Australia lol

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Will definitely be quicker and easier as I'm in Australia lol...
I saw that, so am I(see signature). We made up similar brackets years ago for an extra fuel tank on a rally car. The bolting together of the two clamp part faces gets the HX mounted tight and firm.

In the plumbing industry here in the U.S., there is a product called plumber strap. It's just a metal strap approx. 1" wide with a hole punched every inch or so. It comes in a small roll and is used to hang pipes . It can be found at most hardware stores and home centers. It is made out of a galvanized metal so would be some what rust resistant. You could also buy some thin flat metal stock, cut to length, and drill your own holes . Also available at home centers.

Wallaby.
I have just purchased a 2c218 for my ford lehman 120. It comes complete with mounting bracket. Tomorrow I will check if i need the bracket or if i will need to use the new one supplied. If i end up with a spare you can have it for the cost of postage from Perth.
PM me and i will let you know over the weekend
Cheers Phil

Hi Hallp,
Did you purchase your heat exchanger locally in Australia or source from America?
Tim

Greetings,
Mr. w. All of the above will work OR...IF you are tossing the old HE in the scrap heap, save the mounting bracket and use pipe strap or gear (hose) clamps to attach it to the new exchanger. Then simply bolt on the old bracket. The bracket is soldered to the outer HE tube. A few minutes with a small propane torch should soften the solder IF it is soft (lead/tin). I would strongly suggest you fasten the old bracket to the new HE by mechanical means rather than OE solder.

My suggestion is moot if you're planning on rebuilding to old HE to be kept as a spare...

Last edited:
34Clipper,the one in a post above has a "Seakamp"sticker. I bought mine from "fredwarner1" on ebay,but a search should find him. He was cheaper than Seakamp direct,and happily sends to Australia.
There is supposed to be someone in the Sydney northern beaches area who stocks Lehman parts but I never found him.

Thanks Hallp and Bruce, I just checked the pricing of some of the Lehman parts. I’m going to have to sell a kidney haha. I’m going to change heat exchanger, oil cooler and transmitiin cooler, oil hoses, water hoses, fresh and raw water pumps, exhaust elbow, possibly fuel pump,
Going to be up for thousands. Hmm left or right kidney?

Answering the original poster, mine is held on with straps also, I have seen a few with what looked like hose clamps as well.

I know how you feel. I have twin 120hp and replaced raw water pumps all exchangers filters and hoses. Couldn't find the hose between manifold and fresh water pump.
Not to mention coolers filters and raw water pump on the onan generator. Then there was stern tube and A bracket bearings where material was $700 per meter. Gland packers etc. When will it end.

Fredwarner1 sent exhaust manifold gaskets to meet our Seattle hotel. No, not a special trip, we needed them and it happened we were going there.
He previously supplied HX exchangers,engine/gearbox oil coolers,and exhaust angles,for our 120s. Sending them in 2 stages to not attract Customs duty.
American Diesel does full hose kits for their engines;useful to have onboard.

Not had much luck with American diesel. They don't respond to emails. Sent four enquiries with no response.

Not had much luck with American diesel. They don't respond to emails. Sent four enquiries with no response.
I found that too, but see if you can search out a phone number. Or someone here will post it. Calling around 11pm our time seemed to be early their time.

American Diesel has been extremely helpful whenever I needed anything. Email isn’t the best way to contact them. Phone number is 804-435-3107.

In the UK there's a company who manufacture industrial heat exchangers and marinisation kits for various engines.
As they manufacture OE kits they have all the relevant knowledge to supply brackets as required by different engines.
Contact them at www.E.J.Bowman.co.uk they ship worldwide.
Jot them down in your little black book for future reference.

Isn't the internet a wonderful invention that we can all exchange info so easily !

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom