Onan genset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Sea Fever

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sea Fever
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 49 Classic
Anyone know a source for a rebuilt 15kW Onan (or equivalent) generator for a Grand Banks 49, 1983?

What is wrong with it?

Which model is it? MDJ or MDL series? If MDJ, probably better off replacing it. MDL is a better unit, but engine is hard to get parts for.

You might be better of with another brand. Onan, owned by Cummings, doesn't really want people to rebuild their engines. The want you to buy a short block or better yet a new engine. I have a 14kw Onan and will never have another.

Ebay has a few listed....one Onan , a few Westerbeke, and then others....various KWs.....

You probably dont need an exact KW replacement.

That was a few days ago.

First, see if you can answer Ski's questions.

If you are looking for a used or refurb unit give Gold Coast Power in Ft. Lauderdale a call.

I had an Onan MDL 4 20 kw that worked great for us and had about 8,000 hours on it when I sold it. Surveyed out just fine. As of 4 years ago, parts weren't an issue though some have found it difficult to replace the lift pump with OEM and substituted electric. I wouldn't hesitate to have another Onan actually. Ironically not all of their engines are actually made by Cummins.

caltexf..
Thanks.
My mechanic and I removed the injector to discover the leakage was due to a broken fuel injector. The FI was rusted and broken in cylinder 3.
We decided to replace the Onan w a new 15kW genset.
After all, she’s 34 years old w 6k hours. Not bad for an Onan?!?

caltexf..
Thanks.
My mechanic and I removed the injector to discover the leakage was due to a broken fuel injector. The FI was rusted and broken in cylinder 3.
We decided to replace the Onan w a new 15kW genset.
After all, she’s 34 years old w 6k hours. Not bad for an Onan?!?

Sounds like it was just getting broken in.

Back
Top Bottom