Not a Great Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hmason

Guru
Vessel Name
Lucky Lucky
Vessel Make
Pacific Mariner 65
I guess today was my turn in the barrel. An ex-sailor decided to move his new to him Nordic Tug 37 out of his slip to the fuel dock. He had absolutely no experience with the boat. We are side tied to a floating dock and he was in a slip across the fairway and perpendicular to us.

We were sitting on the settee when suddenly my wife screamed. I looked up through the portside window and saw the Nordic Tug barreling toward us. He t-boned us big time. I'm feeling a little upside down too.

Attachments

• IMG_3350 (2).jpg
    IMG_3350 (2).jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_3351 (1).jpg
    IMG_3351 (1).jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 829
  • IMG_3349.jpg
    IMG_3349.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 391
BTW, that "thing" sticking out is the stainless rub rail that was pulled away. Anyone suggest a great yard in Stuart Fl to accomplish the repairs?

That’s a shame. I hope that the other person is living up to his / her responsibilities and has a decent insurance company.

Crap, that really stinks. I hope your are able to get it all taken care off. But what a huge hassle and inconvenience.

Howard
Sorry for your misfortune.
Look on the bright side; You get a mid-season renewal of the varnish and you don't get your hands dirty

Ouch, Howard. Major bummer!

Either the Rybovich-Spencer yard or Michael Rybovich Yard does some of the best work around. Not too far down at Rivera Beach or Palm Beach Gardens. I just like to walk around their yards. Beautiful work.

Good luck.

Don

Sorry to hear Howard, Marjorie sends her sympathy too.

Gee Howard... glad no physical personal damage. Bummer though and a time waster for sure! Hope all goes well from here on out!

Sorry for you, never a good time to live.
Good luck with the repair.

L

Dang Howard sorry about this I hope you get repaired soon .

Sorry to see your damage. I hope you get made whole.

Must have put a sizeably shameful ‘ding’ in his stainless steel bow plate. Hope your boat gets fixed before his!

Truly unfortunate. Looks like it was a pretty good thump.

Gregg Burdick at Stuart Yacht is the guy I use. I don't think you can find a more honest or experienced boat repair yard.

Rafe

Nasty. Here`s hoping on water incidents do not come in threes.

As othersd have indicated, I'd recommend ACY as most convenient, but Rybovich as well. They can both do an incredible job.

I am sorry your damaged trawler:nonono:.

This damage, where the deck and the hull are combined? It requires good professional skills to laminate it sufficiently strongly because of the structural rigidity of the ship's hull. Be particularly careful with this section on how to make repairs ...

The GB is heavily built but can be good if you do not use your boat rough sea before this damage is fixed, a very small risk that the damage could become larger?

NBs

Any insight as to how this guy found a way to do that? Inconceivable in my mind.

Weird. Most all sailors experienced with mid-size boats are familiar with auxiliary gas/diesel engines.

Well that sux. I would like to hear an explanation for the mishap too. Either mechanical or judgmental failure.

Bummer Yes, but you guys are OK and it could always be worse.

When I told my German freind that I wanted to repaint Dauntless a couple years ago, his response, "Wait until someone hits you".

I think that happens a lot in Europe.

Good luck.

Richard

Howard, so sorry to hear that! Hope I didn't jinx you yesterday day when we were talking about how well the boat ran when you were coming South. :(

Ted

I do think of what didn't happen to give myself solace in what did. What didn't happen was anyone get hurt. Do you consider an accident bad luck or perhaps an accident with no injuries to be good luck. Just insist it all be repaired properly to like new or better. The yards mentioned can do so. The insurer may not prefer them but ultimately it's not the insurer's choice, even if they act like it is.

I do hope you took photos of his boat as well (plus names and contact for witnesses) and hope law enforcement was involved so you got an official report. Although it seems there could be no argument of any kind, you just never know what stories might get made up.

Hopefully you've been in contact with your insurer and his insurer.

The CG must be notified also, as there is a heavy fine for not doing so in a timely manner.

I think Moonstruck gave great advice, go to a higher end yard and get it done extremely well and let the insurance company's sort it all out.

Ouch, Howard. Major bummer!

Either the Rybovich-Spencer yard or Michael Rybovich Yard does some of the best work around. Not too far down at Rivera Beach or Palm Beach Gardens. I just like to walk around their yards. Beautiful work.

Good luck.

Don

Bummer Howard.

I agree with Marlinmike. We had an accident years ago caused by someone else. Our insurance company sent a surveyor and I was able to pick the yard. Our insurance company paid all the bills and then they subrogated against the other guys insurance company for cost recovery. The only thing I got from the others guys insurance company was our deductible. We had zero out of pocket costs just the hassle. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom